Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Warmup and Aggressive MIVEC Maps

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just set them both the same. You shouldn't be driving your car agressive anyway until it reaches proper operating temperature.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
Just set them both the same. You shouldn't be driving your car agressive anyway until it reaches proper operating temperature.
That is what I do. There is no point in setting them different when warm-up is such a small part of driving and should be done conservatively anyway.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
That is what I do. There is no point in setting them different when warm-up is such a small part of driving and should be done conservatively anyway.
I absolutely agree that you can set them the same as long as you (the driver) is responsible for proper warmup driving, especially when it's really cold out in the winter. That said, having them slightly more moderate is good for when you pull into traffic during a cold start and miscalculate how much throttle you are going to need. The less aggressive maps are more dummy proof for people like me.

So you can leave the warmup maps stock (ultra conservative), use my warmup maps (Moderate), or copy in the full temp maps (Aggressive-just control your right foot until you are warmed up!).

I will be taking my car to the dyno tomorrow, will do some testing on these MIVEC maps compared to the ones that came with the Cobb Stage 2.
I would love to see a back to back test of the Cobb Mivec maps versus the "Hiboost" mivec maps, something I forgot to compare on my last trip to the dyno. Likely 4th gear pulls will show the most difference and give best case scenario spoolup compared to 3rd gear pulls. While 5th gear would build boost earlier, it's also an overdriven gear and usually not used on the dyno.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the clarification!

Right now I`m using your warmup and aggressive MIVEC map on my Cobb Stage 2 tuned map. From what I can see, the Cobb MIVEC is based on the USDM version with adjustments in only certain areas. Hiboost MIVEC maps are definitely more aggressive.

Will be doing a back to back run between the 2 MIVEC maps to see what the difference is at WOT.

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I absolutely agree that you can set them the same as long as you (the driver) is responsible for proper warmup driving, especially when it's really cold out in the winter. That said, having them slightly more moderate is good for when you pull into traffic during a cold start and miscalculate how much throttle you are going to need. The less aggressive maps are more dummy proof for people like me.

So you can leave the warmup maps stock (ultra conservative), use my warmup maps (Moderate), or copy in the full temp maps (Aggressive-just control your right foot until you are warmed up!).

I would love to see a back to back test of the Cobb Mivec maps versus the "Hiboost" mivec maps, something I forgot to compare on my last trip to the dyno. Likely 4th gear pulls will show the most difference and give best case scenario spoolup compared to 3rd gear pulls. While 5th gear would build boost earlier, it's also an overdriven gear and usually not used on the dyno.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

^^I checked the Cobb stage 2 intake mivec maps and they are worse than their stage 1 mivec map. I liked the look of the stage 1 better. The stage 2 intake mivec maps are very odd.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LVSBB6
Thanks for the clarification!

Right now I`m using your warmup and aggressive MIVEC map on my Cobb Stage 2 tuned map. From what I can see, the Cobb MIVEC is based on the USDM version with adjustments in only certain areas. Hiboost MIVEC maps are definitely more aggressive.

Will be doing a back to back run between the 2 MIVEC maps to see what the difference is at WOT.
I think most of the gains will be as you spool the turbo on the dyno from 2000 RPM to full boost. At the time I didn't mess around with WOT operation too much, but there may be some power advancing the intake cams another 5* across the board. Best way is to dyno it and see at what RPM's if any you get improvements and then keep the areas that seemed to help and remove the rest then verify. You can just adjust the 200-320% load cells accross the board to test differrent WOT combos quickly. Then later on you can smooth the transission from the lower load cells if they work for you.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost

Setting both maps the same just means who ever does it has no idea what they are doing ..

There is a reason why there's a temperature X-over ..don't ask me I don't know anything

Don't bother checking the Mivecs on the Cobb .. practical waste of time .. probably comes from not knowing how to do twin mivecs .. as were alot of us when we started ...

Lastly .. What is on the dyno is not indicative of what is on the road ... simple due to the way the ECU calculates the environmental loads .. What you see as gains at higher rpms on dyno with the exhaust mivecs will translate to a slightly slower car compared to the USDM settings.. the difference is quite glaring and can be felt when you change on the fly ..
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I favor using a warmup map for safety's sake.

I plan on doing some thorough testing with VDR spreadsheets and doing 3 runs in the same spots and then compare the averages to 3 runs with the different MIVEC maps. Hopefully I can at least see a trend of where the car is accelerating faster through the RPM ranges. I agree that the Dynos don't always pick up the differences 100% accurately but a good load bearing Mustang Dyno is safer than street tuning and is better than nothing.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gunzo
Setting both maps the same just means who ever does it has no idea what they are doing ..

There is a reason why there's a temperature X-over ..don't ask me I don't know anything

Don't bother checking the Mivecs on the Cobb .. practical waste of time .. probably comes from not knowing how to do twin mivecs .. as were alot of us when we started ...

Lastly .. What is on the dyno is not indicative of what is on the road ... simple due to the way the ECU calculates the environmental loads .. What you see as gains at higher rpms on dyno with the exhaust mivecs will translate to a slightly slower car compared to the USDM settings.. the difference is quite glaring and can be felt when you change on the fly ..

Thanks for the post. But, I have a question. Why do your generic maps share the same mivec settings on both of the maps? Are we worse off with more aggressive settings?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigT
Thanks for the post. But, I have a question. Why do your generic maps share the same mivec settings on both of the maps? Are we worse off with more aggressive settings?
His 91 and 93 octane mivec 1 and 2 maps are also the same So I guess he does not know what he is doing as well
Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

There are a lot of knocks (10-15 knockcount) for 100-160 load, 5000+rpm and bad 91 octane fuel. But it's works on 93 without problems. I simply retard some intake in this cells and it works even for 91. Timing was not changed!
Old Aug 8, 2009, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

His 91 and 93 octane mivec 1 and 2 maps are also the same So I guess he does not know what he is doing as well
yub .. I probably don't .. don't follow what I do please ..

Guess alot of people still doesn't know what is aggressive and what is not
Old Aug 8, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
yub .. I probably don't .. don't follow what I do please ..

Guess alot of people still doesn't know what is aggressive and what is not
Dude, you cannot run around telling people not to do something and then do it yourself. It is called credibility and you just lost it.

You just got caught with your pants down. Your own maps have mivec 1 and 2 set up the same and you were telling us not to do it and that we do not know what we are doing.

You have no credibility on this issue.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Dude, you cannot run around telling people not to do something and then do it yourself. It is called credibility and you just lost it.

You just got caught with your pants down. Your own maps have mivec 1 and 2 set up the same and you were telling us not to do it and that we do not know what we are doing.

You have no credibility on this issue.
Apparently naji, you being a professor does not translate into a grasp of the english language.

what Gunzo is saying is that his maps ARE NOT AGGRESSIVE so who cares if they are 1 and 2.

Gunzo knows FAR more about these cars and roms than you do and trying to discredit him (which you seem ti like to do to everyone ) is a slap in the face to the community and people YOU ask for help when YOU cannot figure out something....
Gunzo is one of the MAIN contributors to the ECU DEF XML's and Logging defs that YOU use to toon cars dude, good job burning a bridge.

i usually dont say anything about you and your ways but this is bullpuckey

Last edited by HB Speed; Aug 8, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HB Speed
Apparently naji, you being a professor does not translate into a grasp of the english language.
Thanks a lot, but you are trying to put things in his mouth. That is not what he said. He said that we, the mere mortals, do not know what we are doing since we are making both maps the same. That is all that he said.

what Gunzo is saying is that his maps ARE NOT AGGRESSIVE so who cares if they are 1 and 2.
That is not what he said. Read what he said again. And BTW running 30* mivec advance from 1500 to 3250 and 25* mivec advance from 1000 to 3750 IS AGGRESSIVE.

Gunzo knows FAR more about these cars and roms than you do and trying to discredit him (which you seem ti like to do to everyone ) is a slap in the face to the community and people YOU ask for help when YOU cannot figure out something....
I do not care if he knows more when it comes to ECU disassembly, which he does, but what he said here makes him less credible. He said that we do not know what we are doing and then we find out that he is doing the same thing with his maps.

Gunzo is one of the MAIN contributors to the ECU DEF XML's and Logging defs that YOU use to toon cars dude, good job burning a bridge.
I do not give a rat's *** if he is responsible for building the pyramids. You should not run around criticizing people for doing something and then we find out that your doing it yourself.

i usually dont say anything about you and your ways but this is bullpuckey
You really do not want to start down that road with me, so please back off and keep our relationship civil.

Quick Reply: Warmup and Aggressive MIVEC Maps