Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Calling all self tuners...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Calling all self tuners...

....or anyone that wants to join the discussion. I know not everyone goes to a shop to have their car tuned and the forums are filled with so much information, if you can understand how to use evoscan and ecuflash or accessport, you can tune your own car pretty damn good. Report in this thread how your tuning is going and what numbers you're seeing. Did you dyno? How much whp and wt did you put down?

My mod list:

SC cold air intake
SC test pipe
SC upper intercooler pipe
Perrin Catback
DTM stage II intercooler
GST boost pill
All tuning including boost adjustment is done via ecuflash,evoscan(mode23 enabled)

My mivec map is custom tuned rather aggressive. The intake map is full of lots of 35's with a nice taper towards redline. On the exhaust side, I peak at -5 around 4000rpm and it rizes to zero by 6000rpm to redline.

Peak boost spikes to 26psi but settles at 25.5 and tapers to 20.5 by redline. The taper has been much better since installing the GST boost pill.

5000rpm - 25.5psi
5500rpm - 24.5
6000rpm - 24
6500rpm - 22.5
7000rpm - 20.5
7500rpm - 18

I might pick up a 3port later this year if I decide to go with a meth setup. However, power keeps climbing despite the taper.

Ignition timing is 7 degrees at peak torque rising to 20 by 7000.

5000rpm - 10 degrees
5500rpm - 15
6000rpm - 15
6500rpm - 18
7000rpm - 20
7500rpm - 19 (I'm hitting 1 to 3 counts of knock after 7k so I took some timing away)

My high octane fuel map is Gunzo's, but adjusted for the higher load cells that i'm hitting compared to his map. He has stated that its mid 12's afr during spool up falling to high 10's at redline. My wideband is still in my GSX so I haven't fine tuned my AFR's just yet.

I always tune for zero knock. I know its been said that 1 to 3 counts is ok, but considering this is my daily driver and a brand new car, i'd rather be on the safe side. Is my tune perfect? No, but its a start. There is still some more fine tuning to be done especially when a wideband gets in the car.

A big thanks goes out to all who have made this available. Tephra for the logging and hopefully some tephra mods in the near future, Bryan and GST motorsports for sharing all of this knowledge, Gunzo for creating a great base map, and ofcourse the creators of Ecuflash and Evoscan. A big thanks goes out to Pete at DG motors from me as I called him for some consulting over the phone and he was very very helpful in teaching me mivec tuning. He's a stand up guy and represents his shop very well.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I could be a part of your tuning experience. If you have any questions or need any more help feel free to shoot me a call!

P.S: get that wide band! Smooth Timing/Fuel maps will really make the car enjoyable to drive at WOT.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Well post up those maps so we can compare them to Hiboost mivec maps!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would be interested to see the Mivec maps as well! Seems like pretty aggressive timing advance but if the AFR's are low to mid 11's and boost isn't out of control it sounds like it is working well if there is no knock. I think just about all cars get some 1-2 counts at 6500+, basically as long as the counts never exceed that baseline you should be fine. Usually tuning in worst case conditions and finding where that occurs and backing it off 1 degree of timing will put you in a good spot.

Sounds like your Mivec tuning was similar to mine on the stock turbo, but with higher intake advance down low. After upgrading to the GT30 I found that exhaust retard at 6000+ starts to add some power again but zeroing it out like you have on the stock turbo is likely the best bet.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I would be interested to see the Mivec maps as well! Seems like pretty aggressive timing advance but if the AFR's are low to mid 11's and boost isn't out of control it sounds like it is working well if there is no knock. I think just about all cars get some 1-2 counts at 6500+, basically as long as the counts never exceed that baseline you should be fine. Usually tuning in worst case conditions and finding where that occurs and backing it off 1 degree of timing will put you in a good spot.

Sounds like your Mivec tuning was similar to mine on the stock turbo, but with higher intake advance down low. After upgrading to the GT30 I found that exhaust retard at 6000+ starts to add some power again but zeroing it out like you have on the stock turbo is likely the best bet.

I had good success with your Mivec maps prior to creating my own. Most of my exhaust mivec settings are still similar to yours. I know you tuned your own car as well. Did you dyno the stock turbo? What was your boost threshold and ignition timing advance like?

I'll post up my mivec maps later. I just got home from work and am tired as hell. Working nights can suck but it supports my boost addiction lovely.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
I had good success with your Mivec maps prior to creating my own. Most of my exhaust mivec settings are still similar to yours. I know you tuned your own car as well. Did you dyno the stock turbo? What was your boost threshold and ignition timing advance like?

I'll post up my mivec maps later. I just got home from work and am tired as hell. Working nights can suck but it supports my boost addiction lovely.
It was something like this compared to yours, but I didn't spend nearly as much time on the stock turbo tune because at the time I didn't have a wideband in the car yet.

Mods were full bolt on's but no cams (Intake, exhaust, FMIC with pipes)

Spoolup was as good as 20 psi by 2500 in 4th depending on conditions. (with stock US Mivec that was 2800 rpms)

Boost would spike to 28 psi briefly and settle at 26 psi.

26 psi - 5000 rpm
26 psi - 5500 rpm
24 psi - 6000 rpm
22 psi - 6500 rpm
20 psi - 7000 rpm
18 psi - 7500 rpm

Ignition timing was 7 degrees at peak torque rising to 15 by 7000.

12* - 5000rpm
13* - 5500rpm
13* - 6000rpm
14* - 6500rpm
15* - 7000rpm
16* - 7500rpm

Likely my AFR's were a bit leaner than yours in the 11.5-11.8 AFR range but I had quite a bit less timing. At the time I was worried about the baseline trickle 1-2 knock counts at 6500+ so I never got really aggressive with the timing advance.

Anyone reading these specs should know that every car is a little different so be sure to start on the conservative side and adjust as necessary.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jul 30, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:23 AM

I've recently begun my research on tuning my X. A thread containing experiences and lessons learned would be fantastic. It's also nice that this thread is a million pages long yet which makes reading quite a daunting task...

Thanks guys!
subscribed.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Here are my mivec maps. Try at your own risk! Make sure to log AFR, Boost, and knock and adjust accordingly. this map should lower you're boost so adjust it back to where it was. Report back your findings. It is still a work in progress.

This originally started as the intake map that Bryan posted. I created how it is now by comparing to other maps, HIboost, JDM, Gunzo, and also the help I got from Pete at DG.

The exhaust map is close to HiBoost's map but with my topend settings.
Attached Thumbnails Calling all self tuners...-intakemivec.jpg   Calling all self tuners...-exhaustmivec.jpg  
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Also, what load cells are you guys hitting? I'm seeing a max of 270ish dropping to 220 at 7k and 205 at 7.5k.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Well tonight the temp was finally comfortable, 75degrees, and the humidity wasn't killer so I did some logs. I'm hitting 280 load by 5500rpm and 25psi by 3000rpm. This was in 4th gear starting at 2000rpm and on a residential street hence me not going to redline. I think i'm going to just stick to 4th gear tuning now. All other logs and my tuning was done utilizing 3rd gear pulls.

But, car is going into limp mode. =( I think its my boost target engine load map that needs tweaking. I'll head to an autozone tomorrow and get it scanned to see which code is popping up. The damn pcmscan demo I downloaded won't connect to my car for some reason.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:16 PM
Account Disabled

Well tonight the temp was finally comfortable, 75degrees, and the humidity wasn't killer so I did some logs. I'm hitting 280 load by 5500rpm and 25psi by 3000rpm. This was in 4th gear starting at 2000rpm and on a residential street hence me not going to redline. I think i'm going to just stick to 4th gear tuning now. All other logs and my tuning was done utilizing 3rd gear pulls.

But, car is going into limp mode. =( I think its my boost target engine load map that needs tweaking. I'll head to an autozone tomorrow and get it scanned to see which code is popping up. The damn pcmscan demo I downloaded won't connect to my car for some reason.
limp mode is torque/airflow limiters not boost target.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
That will be an issue. I don't know how to tune those just yet.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:01 AM
Account Disabled

That will be an issue. I don't know how to tune those just yet.
What RPM/TPS are you triggering it?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

What RPM/TPS are you triggering it?

Right around 5500rpm with the pedal to the floor.

I currently am using Gunzo's limit maps that he has in his generic maps.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

My apologies, I was thinking of the boost limit map.

Quick Reply: Calling all self tuners...