Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

HELP: CEL after installing UR Test pipe and o2/dump??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you mean the test pipe has one "built in"?

EDIT: Yea, the unique bung that is welded in? Obviously its not working.

Last edited by Clark_Kent; Aug 5, 2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 06:17 PM

so does that mean i need to extend it out further??
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeh
Old Aug 5, 2009, 09:09 PM

is there such a thing as extending it out TOO far?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:08 PM

dannyz,

i also got an UR testpipe minimuffler. I also got CEL with P0420 error code. I cleared it and it came back. I tried something interesting: i have filled and packed the CEL eliminator tube with stainless steel wool, yes, the thing we use to scrub hard dirty pans in kitchen! And you know what, my CEL turned off by itself after 30-45 minutes of riding. After a couple of days, i scanned for CEL codes, and P0420 was still in memory, i cleared it. Now two weeks as passed by, and i did not had CEL anymore. Try this, its easy and free. Be sure to let enough space in the CEL tube to instal the O2 sensor without breaking it.

Good luck.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:21 AM

thanks mate, much appreciated.. i will try that one..
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:00 PM

funnily enough my CEL has disapperared all alone... Hmmm interesting.. so far a hundred ks and nothing come back up.. without doing anything..
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:50 PM

Glad to see that, if it comes back, try my tip. Also, go to a car repair shop and scan it to check if it's really cat code maybe P0420.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

My p0420 keeps coming and going by itself... I will try the steel wool next time I'm changing oil or something. Thanks for the tip!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

i have the UR minimuffler too but have yet to throw any type of code
Old Oct 8, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So I still have a slight exhaust leak where my ATP downpipe leads into the main exhaust stream from the wastegate, I'm wondering if that would be enough to cause the exhaust to go too lean and flag the P0420 code. Sounds like I could just disable the ecu options 2, bit1 from 1 -> 0 but it is acting wacky when I try and enter a 0 value and refuses to accept it. I then did a + or - function and it toggled back and forth but still indicates other bits have changed when they haven't. I'll test to see if the code comes back today, crossing fingers.

The steel wool trick sounds interesting but if the exhaust leak is leaning it out then it will make the flow over the sensor even weaker.

Last edited by Hiboost; Oct 8, 2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 07:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
So I still have a slight exhaust leak where my ATP downpipe leads into the main exhaust stream from the wastegate, I'm wondering if that would be enough to cause the exhaust to go too lean and flag the P0420 code. Sounds like I could just disable the ecu options 2, bit1 from 1 -> 0 but it is acting wacky when I try and enter a 0 value and refuses to accept it. I then did a + or - function and it toggled back and forth but still indicates other bits have changed when they haven't. I'll test to see if the code comes back today, crossing fingers.

The steel wool trick sounds interesting but if the exhaust leak is leaning it out then it will make the flow over the sensor even weaker.
Its a periphery bit... you are changing 4 bit flags / blobbits at a time whenever you change one of them because they are all stored in the same piece of memory, thus ECUflash shows that everything contained in that piece of memory changes.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
Its a periphery bit... you are changing 4 bit flags / blobbits at a time whenever you change one of them because they are all stored in the same piece of memory, thus ECUflash shows that everything contained in that piece of memory changes.
Ok that makes me feel better about flashing that change to my ecu, oddly I've never changed any bit values that toggle between 1 and 0 so far and when I saw that behavior it had me doubting myself!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

So these settings caused a P0420 code:

DTC P139/P140: Disabled (0)
ECU Options Set #2, Bit.1: Enabled (1)
(standard setting)

I reset the CEL and reflashed with:

DTC P139/P140: Disabled (0)
ECU Options Set #2, Bit.1: Disabled (0)

All is well for 2 drive cycles and about 30 miles, then as I start the car again and head to the dealership to get the car inspected I decided to stop at my house and verify all is well. I fire up the reader and now there is a pending code:

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylider Misfire Detected

Frack me!

This is all after swapping back to the stock spark plugs, and honestly nothing bad could have been said about the HKS M45XL Iridium Spark Plugs (+1 colder) that were in there before. So maybe my partially melted plug connector is starting to act up? The original code that failed me last week was actually the P0300, the P0420 was just in the pending area at the time.

I reset the codes again as I'm not sure if pending codes fail you. I drive another 30 miles over 2 drive cycles and all seems well, no codes. As I pull into a car dealership to turn it off to get another drive cycle in I check the computer and this was in the pending codes:

P0140 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Freakin great. So now I reflash the car with these settings as a test:

DTC P139/P140: Enabled (1) (standard settings)

I drive another 3 cycles of 10 min each on the highway and the darn pending code doesn't flag as a CEL but never goes away either. So now I'm back home and reset it again to see what comes up next, maybe I'll get lucky but I'm not banking on anything now.

I bought supplies to fix that stupid exhaust leak on the ATP 02 DP, maybe that will make it go away. What kills me is this leak is tiny, it's not like I'm dumping exhaust from turbo to the ground...

Last edited by Hiboost; Oct 8, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Well so far this combo is "working" to keep the check engine light from triggering.

DTC P139/P140: Enabled (1) (standard settings)

However... because the catalyst check never completes it shows it as "not ready" and I failed the test again.

So back to square one as I need to fix every exhaust leak and see if I can get the equalibriam of exhaust flow back to where it needs to be to pass again.

Quick Reply: HELP: CEL after installing UR Test pipe and o2/dump??