Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

AEM Analog Wideband Gague 30-5130

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AEM Analog Wideband Gague 30-5130

Has anyone been able to get the new Analog needle type gauge to work with a serial connection.

As I understand it, the old AEM Wideband had a white and blue connector where the white connector went to the AEM EMS and the blue went to a serial connection.

With the new analog gauge the is a white and brown wire; the white being for Lambda + and the brown for Lambda - ...... What do I use for my serial connection? The brown and then ground my serial connection to my chassis?

Any help would be appreciated. As it stands right now I have the white going to the #2 pin and the Brown to the #5 pin on my serial connection. When I try to log with Evoscan I get nothing.

I cannot imagine AEM removing serial support with thier new gauge.

Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

This is what the manual says in front of me:

White: The white wire should be connected to the Lambda + input on the EMS or the analog + on a similar device.

Brown: The brown wire should be connected to the Lambda - input or the analog - input. If the EMS or similar device does not have a - input, the brown wire should be connected to the sensor ground. If no sensor ground is available, the Brown wire should be connected to a power ground. NOTE: The Brown wire must be connected in order to get correct readings from the analog output.

So far I have tried the following:

Connected the White to pin #2 and the Brown to pin #5 on my serial cable. - no luck
Connected the White to pin #2 my serial cable and the pin #5 to the ground on my accessory port. - no luck

Any help is appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you contacted AEM to see if it indeed supports the serial connection?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Actually someone told me to use the brown wire on pin#2 and ground pin #5 and it should work. So I will try that tonight, if not I will call AEM and get a definitive answer.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it goes.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

DVDee. Well I called AEM, there is no serial output support for any of the new analog gauges. They said there was no market for it.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

No serial support??

Originally Posted by rogue
DVDee. Well I called AEM, there is no serial output support for any of the new analog gauges. They said there was no market for it.
I'm confused, why exactly won't it work? Do we need a special type of signal? I had just assumed it was the 0-5V signal coming off the sensor, but I guess not. I just got mine yesterday, I'm going to be bummed if have to return it.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Well according to AEM they dropped serial support on all analog gauges (this would be the blue wire on all the digital gauges). Now they only include a lambda (0-5v) white (+) wire and a brown (-) that acts as a ground for the lambda output. AEM told me that they did not see the market in providing a serial output, however I explained to them that that is how alot of us EVO guys log and he was surprised.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Well according to AEM they dropped serial support on all analog gauges (this would be the blue wire on all the digital gauges). Now they only include a lambda (0-5v) white (+) wire and a brown (-) that acts as a ground for the lambda output. AEM told me that they did not see the market in providing a serial output, however I explained to them that that is how alot of us EVO guys log and he was surprised.
That's a bummer.

Can we wire the Lambda 0-5v into the Rear O2 ECU input and then log AFR via the ECU? This requires the Rear O2 disabled of course, which I think can be done with EcuFlash. I read through a thread in the EcuFlash section recently where people had this working but only with the LC-1. Maybe one of the Gurus can tell us if this is possible.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Subscribed.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by stokEd
That's a bummer.

Can we wire the Lambda 0-5v into the Rear O2 ECU input and then log AFR via the ECU? This requires the Rear O2 disabled of course, which I think can be done with EcuFlash. I read through a thread in the EcuFlash section recently where people had this working but only with the LC-1. Maybe one of the Gurus can tell us if this is possible.

If anyone's interested: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...adc-input.html
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is what the manual says in front of me:

White: The white wire should be connected to the Lambda + input on the EMS or the analog + on a similar device.

Brown: The brown wire should be connected to the Lambda - input or the analog - input. If the EMS or similar device does not have a - input, the brown wire should be connected to the sensor ground. If no sensor ground is available, the Brown wire should be connected to a power ground. NOTE: The Brown wire must be connected in order to get correct readings from the analog output.

So far I have tried the following:

Connected the White to pin #2 and the Brown to pin #5 on my serial cable. - no luck
Connected the White to pin #2 my serial cable and the pin #5 to the ground on my accessory port. - no luck

Any help is appreciated.
I currently have mine set up like this... "Connected the White to pin #2 and the Brown to pin #5 on my serial cable. - no luck"

From reading your instructions above (more detailed than the ones I have) it seems like we need the brown wire connected to a chassis ground on the car, and we also need pin 5 connected to a ground on the car... so I am thinking about connecting a jumper wire from the brown signal wire to the black wires I initially used to ground the power harness.

To me, advertising an analog output for data logging, and then providing zero support for it is false advertising. I just spent a crap load of time setting up my gauge, running all the wires, making sure the gauge itself works, and I get to the last step (datalogging) and find out that I didn't get what I paid for? And this MF'er is more expensive than the one I know would have worked! WTF?

Keith
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Forgot to hit "post" on my last message till I came back in

Well, since the logger wasn't working I checked my pin voltages with a multimeter with the following results: Before grounding the brown wire I had 4.9x volts on pin 2 and 2.5x volts on pin 5 at idle, with voltage changes when I would blip the throttle. Now with the brown wire grounded I have 3 volts on pin 2 and zero on pin 5 at idle. It seems to me, that a variable voltage on pin 2 should be giving me a reasonable reading on my logger.... but I get zero.

I have one of the last laptop computers that actually has a serial port, so I am connected that way... I wonder if my serial port is jacked up? I will check all my drivers and crap and report back later.

Keith

PS: Anyone else check their pin voltages with the car running with a voltmeter?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

$hit!

All this crap has been for nothing.... the serial port that everyone else uses with the UEGO's and crap is a digital signal going to the com port (one of the outputs from UEGO that we don't have) not an analog voltage signal!

Our only option is an unused (or unimportant) voltage input to the ECU that we can tap into such as the rear O2 sensor that people have talked about using.

I tell you right now, we could probably put this analog signal into the laptop via a USB cable... but to get it interpreted by Evoscan would take a software update.... and it seem to me they don't answer their helpdesk questions... ever.

For me personally, on the 2010 Ralliarts, nobody has looked up the address for the rear O2 sensor in the code, so I can't even hook it up that way

Keith
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Sell the gauge.... unless you find a way to receive a 0-5V input you are at a loss.. I learned that the hard way. I ended up just getting the LC-1.

Quick Reply: AEM Analog Wideband Gague 30-5130