Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Methanol injection?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Methanol injection?

Ive been doing research on water meth for the X cuz Im looking to install but I would like everyones opinion on water meth kits, pros and cons, hp gains and which ones are the most recommended. Thanks...
Old Aug 27, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

First off its methanol.

Its optimal to get a kit that has a failsafe, a valve that controls injection (not just a pump and a jet) and lastly I reccomend a progressive injection system for anything over 500cc of methanol.

There is a ton of info around, I wouldn't expect to post one sentence and then wait for people to give you paragraphs. It looks like you haven't done much research or else you would have specific questions.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Look, when your talking about meth hands down the best kit on the market to me is the Aquamist. Research the aquamist compared to others and also search alot of forums on evom and you'll see how many people like it. Horse power gain is high.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

you probably want to inject methanol not methane....

most people go 100% methanol injection that I have seen, personally I recommend going e85 if you have it available. Aquamist is a good kit, with nice fail safe built in, but recently they have had fitting problems so they are plagued with leaks, however the last kit I got that was new, had very nice compression style fittings and did not leak.

The meth kits are an add on system, which is potential for failure, where e85 used the fuel system already on the car, which has a low chance of failure. The down side to e85 is you will need bigger fuel injectors, were with meth injection you wont.

Other down sides to meth is: for the X there is not map switching available yet, so if you run low on meth, and fail safe kicks in, you will have waste gate boost (like 10psi), and the car will have to run on the same base map, aka a slow evo.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsr0801
Look, when your talking about meth hands down the best kit on the market to me is the Aquamist. Research the aquamist compared to others and also search alot of forums on evom and you'll see how many people like it. Horse power gain is high.
I was researching the AEM and Snow Power. Liking the AEM features including the fail safes^^
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yearlongstorm
I was researching the AEM and Snow Power. Liking the AEM features including the fail safes^^
Both kits to me are no good. "Denver" is right; the only thing I experience with my Aquamist kit is some leakage. Besides that, the kit is great. Aquamist has a great fail safe feature also.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:11 PM

Alkycontrol makes a very nice kit. Had one on my WRX.
http://www.alkycontrol.com/
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm changing the title and moving to engine tuning section so we don't get too many fart in the tank jokes.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only kit that has true failsafes is Aquamist. I was quite involved at the beginning with the designer of the HSF-5. The HSF6 is an improvement upon that. The aqumist has the ability to detect low flow as well as high flow. These are the 2 possible fails that may happen. Most kits have no abilty to detect high flow. High flow happens if a line was to break. Low flow is only if a jet is plugged. I would be happy to give a more descriptive detail on the how if people wanted.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LIGHTSPD
The only kit that has true failsafes is Aquamist. I was quite involved at the beginning with the designer of the HSF-5. The HSF6 is an improvement upon that. The aqumist has the ability to detect low flow as well as high flow. These are the 2 possible fails that may happen. Most kits have no abilty to detect high flow. High flow happens if a line was to break. Low flow is only if a jet is plugged. I would be happy to give a more descriptive detail on the how if people wanted.
Cam, glad to see you on EvoM
I just ordered the New - Perrin Water/Meth Kit.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Other down sides to meth is: for the X there is not map switching available yet, so if you run low on meth, and fail safe kicks in, you will have waste gate boost (like 10psi), and the car will have to run on the same base map, aka a slow evo.
Originally Posted by LIGHTSPD
I'm betting a dual boost controller could solve that little problem quite easily. Right now I manually switch between 25 and 27 psi depending on how hard I want to run the car. All you need is a circuit to trigger the switch to low boost mode and you could tune the car for both boost levels quite well assuming you were running different enough boost that there would be 20%+ difference in load on the fuel/timing tables. Dejon tool makes a dual MBC or you could make your own trigger switch/valve and toggle between any two MBC's.

So go ahead and run 32 psi on Meth with high timing advance and then when it runs out have it automatically switch down to 25 psi with normal timing. The trick would be to get a switch that doesn't toggle but stays in low boost mode whenever the failsafe trigger is activated.

Last edited by Hiboost; Aug 27, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

i run the aquamist system i also run the forge waistgate so my wg pressure is 17 to 18 psi
so my tunner tunned my car to wg pressure frist then has the meth turn on right around the wg pressure and finished tunning the only down side to this that i saw was when the meth turns on the power comes on hard so i tend to have traction issues
if i turn off the meth kit my car made 296 whp at 17 to 18 psi with the meth on i made 395 at 21 psi
i should be headed back to the tunner in a week or so to get tunned at 30 psi so we will see what new numbers i put down this was on a dynodynamics
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
I would go the Aquamist HFS6, Richard is a vendor on these forums and has HEAPS of information - check the Evo IX - water/meth injector subforums.

^ Once I can be bothered I will be doing altmaps for the X, so you will be able to have dual stage boost control on stock ECU withOUT and EBC
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

I think technically you could have two "pro-tune" maps (1 for meth, 1 for no meth) stored in a Cobb Accessport as a way of accomplishing map-switching.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeah but that doens't give you failsafe...

Quick Reply: Methanol injection?