Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

air/fuel ratio on initial boost?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are definately somewhat lean on spool up. I find it quite normal to see a very quick spike on spool up but yours is way too long. I believe the quick spike is only because the sample rate cant't keep up for that split second. I have not proven it but I believe that very quick rush of air is merely cooling off the sensor and before the heater can conter react giving us a lean spike on our charts. I have also found that meth injected cars will also cool the sensor on spool up. This being said I looked at the knock counts very closely and the example below was definately not lean. The example I am showing is an exagerated example of an MR I was tuning. Quite often the spike is half or a quarter of the example. The other factor but I don't believe that is happenning here is race gas tuning. Please do not judge this as a tune merely an example during tuning.

Cheers C
Attached Thumbnails air/fuel ratio on initial boost?-evoxmr-leanspool.jpg  

Last edited by LIGHTSPD; Sep 8, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
_you did actuallydo the ROM change yeh? ie change 0x05 to 0x23... etc?
I did not change these values. When i try to change them nothing happens. Here is what mine looks like. With no changes. I edit it and write 0x23, hit enter, and it still looks the exact same.

Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:07 PM

are you hitting "oh" x-23 or "zero x23" this could be your problem. "oh" will not be saved as it is an invalid value.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by LIGHTSPD
are you hitting "oh" x-23 or "zero x23" this could be your problem. "oh" will not be saved as it is an invalid value.
I am hitting zero.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:11 PM

what should it say after i edit it? IFMode 0x23 -> 0x23 #1? or IFMode 0x05 -> 0x23 #1?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
lol.

dont edit the name of the field.

edit the actual data IN the field.

ie click the square box on the left to show the data. then use 'edit' to change that...
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:16 PM

I am hangin in for a bit if you want send it to me I will post it back to you. PM me if you want.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by tephra
lol.

dont edit the name of the field.

edit the actual data IN the field.

ie click the square box on the left to show the data. then use 'edit' to change that...
but the boxes already show hex 23, 23, and 0052. I am confused about what i need to change lol. Looks like i need to change nothing?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:19 PM

Are you using an internet posted tune if so it may well be done already.

Cheers C
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:26 PM

Are you using an internet posted tune if so it may well be done already.

Cheers C
Nope. Custom tune. I had a bad rom file so i am using one of Gunzos Roms. He also did a few tweaks in my tune as well. I don't think he mentioned Mode23 though, and the data was not in the XML.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:27 PM

You are definately somewhat lean on spool up. I find it quite normal to see a very quick spike on spool up but yours is way too long. I believe the quick spike is only because the sample rate cant't keep up for that split second. I have not proven it but I believe that very quick rush of air is merely cooling off the sensor and before the heater can conter react giving us a lean spike on our charts. I have also found that meth injected cars will also cool the sensor on spool up. This being said I looked at the knock counts very closely and the example below was definately not lean. The example I am showing is an exagerated example of an MR I was tuning. Quite often the spike is half or a quarter of the example. The other factor but I don't believe that is happenning here is race gas tuning. Please do not judge this as a tune merely an example during tuning.

Cheers C
Hmmm... Which cells do i adjust? and by how much to get it richer on spool up?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:37 PM

First off what mods are on your car.
I think the timing should be OK but this will be determined after logging.
Give me a mod list and I will help you out
I am bored tonight and already picked out my stocks for tommorow and probably had one to many energy drinks today
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:41 PM

First off what mods are on your car.
I think the timing should be OK but this will be determined after logging.
Give me a mod list and I will help you out
I am bored tonight and already picked out my stocks for tommorow and probably had one to many energy drinks today
Cool thanks!!
Buschur race 4.5" FMIC
Buschur 2.5" polished UICP

Buschur 3" dual cat-back ("quiet" version)
Buscur intake + CF sheild
Buschur tune with Gunzo mods.
Buschur custom muffled 3" test pipe
Autometer boost guage
AEM wideband
ETS new O2 downpipe with recirculating dump.

Also forgot, running 93oct. and 25-26psi.

Last edited by Ray Knight; Sep 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:54 PM

OK I got your mod list. I understand that this tune origionally came from Buschar. Or has it been modified even more by someone else. Maybe you should send me your Buschar tune as well. Anyways are these others actually charging for these tunes? I tune EVO's and Subbies all day long but anything I give you is a good guess how can these other people on the net feel justified in charging for tuning something that they have never even set eyes on. If this was free then well you get what you pay for. You can try and do canned tunes but I have not found a car yet that responds the way the one previously did. Working on your file.

Cheers C
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:00 PM

OK I got your mod list. I understand that this tune origionally came from Buschar. Or has it been modified even more by someone else. Maybe you should send me your Buschar tune as well. Anyways are these others actually charging for these tunes? I tune EVO's and Subbies all day long but anything I give you is a good guess how can these other people on the net feel justified in charging for tuning something that they have never even set eyes on. If this was free then well you get what you pay for. You can try and do canned tunes but I have not found a car yet that responds the way the one previously did. Working on your file.

Cheers C
It's Buschur's dyno tuning. The rom that he flashed in was bad (not his fault, even the dealer could not figure out what it was!) and causing the SST to act crazy so i needed a new rom file, we transferred all the tuning to a new rom. That's all. Gunzo gave me a few sets of MIVEC maps to try and this one works very well! He never charged a penny. Very helpful guy! Also just smoother out the fuel curve, and raised the limiters a bit. Buschur's dyno tune is specific to the car. I don't believe in canned maps either. He flashed it about 10 times on the dyno before he was happy with the power gains!

Quick Reply: air/fuel ratio on initial boost?