Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Hks ssqv3 evo x problems, help please!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010 | 05:30 PM

your car have unmetered air entering the system

Last edited by Chknkatsu; Jan 2, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2010 | 05:39 PM

toooo funny
+ 1 for the bluntness
Old Mar 14, 2010 | 08:22 PM

i honestly was jst about to buy a hks but im not going into crazy boost so might as well keep my pos one
Old Mar 18, 2010 | 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

To the OP did the Recirc kit fix your problem or did you get a tune yet? Fill those of us who have that BOV in
Old Mar 18, 2010 | 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phishy
To the OP did the Recirc kit fix your problem or did you get a tune yet? Fill those of us who have that BOV in

Re circ kit didn't solve my problem, SSQV fitted and sold on the same day, total pos
Old Mar 30, 2010 | 08:28 AM

hey people i have a 08 gsr i dont have to tell some of u the evo x sucks in the snow due to the tires i found This out the hARD way i slid almost half a block into a ford suv lucky for me it had a tow hitch with a reciever and the reciever went through the grill and messed up the support and the intercooler no damage to the paint or the the frame but i needed an inercooler i ordered an ams intercooler agp pipes and hks blow off valve after cobb ap stage 1 flash stock filter for now after install i noticed the increase in power rite away drove it vta and sounds great i got ON THE HIGHWAY and all was good hour drive and when i returned i heard a small pop like a backfire through the intake and check engine and rough idle code was p1241 i clearedit it came on again under heavy acc the problem was a hose that was tight but was sitting on the bead of the pipe and was causing a leak under heavy acc people check this before u go crazy removing things from your cars i still have my bov in the car and i vta the bacfire was the hose poping off under boost hpoe this helps some of u
Old Mar 30, 2010 | 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JerseyEvox
so i got the hks ssqv3 bov for my evox. i have the cobb intercooler piping kit so i did not use the supplied hks pipes. i installed it without any problems and when i test drove it, everything seemed fine, no loss of power, great sound no problems. then i got in my car and was driving and randomly my service engine soon light came on and i couldnt boost above 10 psi. also my idle was very erratic and was climbing without me touching the gas pedal. i shut my car off and turned it back on and the car was back to normal, but still have the service engine soon light. anyone know what could be wrong? also, this is fully dump to atmosphere, not recirc like the stock bov, thats the only thing that i can think of that could be the culprit. if so does anyone know if hks has a recirc kit for this bov that will be compatible with the cobb intercooler piping? any help would be greatly appreciated guys. thanks!
All these problems just to hear your car whistle? Should have bought a Honda.
Old Mar 30, 2010 | 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by soundboy03
hey people i have a 08 gsr i dont have to tell some of u the evo x sucks in the snow due to the tires i found This out the hARD way i slid almost half a block into a ford suv lucky for me it had a tow hitch with a reciever and the reciever went through the grill and messed up the support and the intercooler no damage to the paint or the the frame but i needed an inercooler i ordered an ams intercooler agp pipes and hks blow off valve after cobb ap stage 1 flash stock filter for now after install i noticed the increase in power rite away drove it vta and sounds great i got ON THE HIGHWAY and all was good hour drive and when i returned i heard a small pop like a backfire through the intake and check engine and rough idle code was p1241 i clearedit it came on again under heavy acc the problem was a hose that was tight but was sitting on the bead of the pipe and was causing a leak under heavy acc people check this before u go crazy removing things from your cars i still have my bov in the car and i vta the bacfire was the hose poping off under boost hpoe this helps some of u
I almost died trying to read that one incredibly long sentence in one breath...
Old Mar 30, 2010 | 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lex08gsr
I used that bov for a lil while too. No issues. Put the stocker on when I got my new setup though
I've been using the hks for 2 weeks vta with not real problems other than the fact it doesn't leak like the stock one. i preemptively disabled the typical codes that come along with vta systems before installation. stock bov was pretty ****ty at holding boost above 25lbs and i am happy i got rid of it
Old Mar 30, 2010 | 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

I am recirculating using a Blitz VD BOV and for some reason it flutters like crazy when I go WOT. It sounds like air is fluttering out of the engine. Any ideas as to why it flutters so much? Do I need to get a stronger spring or just tighten the current spring?
Old Mar 31, 2010 | 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newcomer81
I've been using the hks for 2 weeks vta with not real problems other than the fact it doesn't leak like the stock one. i preemptively disabled the typical codes that come along with vta systems before installation. stock bov was pretty ****ty at holding boost above 25lbs and i am happy i got rid of it
How do you know if it leaks? Does the car run different?
Old Mar 31, 2010 | 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
How do you know if it leaks? Does the car run different?
tested it: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...leak-test.html

and it was obvious after swapping them when i went from 27 psi to 32
Old Apr 1, 2010 | 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newcomer81
tested it: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...leak-test.html

and it was obvious after swapping them when i went from 27 psi to 32
I can spike 27 once in a while and hold 22-24 psi. If I saw 32psi on my boost gauge I would freak out. I really don't think that is healthy for the turbo and motor. When I shift though I seem to have a pause delay in boost, this doesn't feel like boost lag but something else. I actually thought a while ago that this might be my BOV but would like to find out if there is a difference in the way the car runs with different BOV set ups.

Last edited by love9sick; Apr 1, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2010 | 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wilbdog
I am recirculating using a Blitz VD BOV and for some reason it flutters like crazy when I go WOT. It sounds like air is fluttering out of the engine. Any ideas as to why it flutters so much? Do I need to get a stronger spring or just tighten the current spring?
That's not the BOV fluttering. If you hear flutter at wide open throttle that's compressor surge. It's happening because your turbo is spooling too fast...it's pumping too much air too early and the engine can't take it all in, so it backs up back through the compressor.
Old Apr 2, 2010 | 11:57 AM

I have had it on with the complete kit including piping for a while now and there are no issues.

Quick Reply: Hks ssqv3 evo x problems, help please!