Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Hks ssqv3 evo x problems, help please!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009 | 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Unhappy Hks ssqv3 evo x problems, help please!

so i got the hks ssqv3 bov for my evox. i have the cobb intercooler piping kit so i did not use the supplied hks pipes. i installed it without any problems and when i test drove it, everything seemed fine, no loss of power, great sound no problems. then i got in my car and was driving and randomly my service engine soon light came on and i couldnt boost above 10 psi. also my idle was very erratic and was climbing without me touching the gas pedal. i shut my car off and turned it back on and the car was back to normal, but still have the service engine soon light. anyone know what could be wrong? also, this is fully dump to atmosphere, not recirc like the stock bov, thats the only thing that i can think of that could be the culprit. if so does anyone know if hks has a recirc kit for this bov that will be compatible with the cobb intercooler piping? any help would be greatly appreciated guys. thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2009 | 09:13 PM
Account Disabled

1st you FAIL...

2nd... you got a p1241 Torque Limit Code.

3rd... this happens if you use certain BOV's and also happens when your car is not tuned for the BOV....

4th... it's a EVO ... jack .... it is best to have it on recirc settings ALWAYS especially if you are not tuned for it. Only EMS can tune for a VTA BOV, the stock ECU will try to compensate.

5th...fix is to take off that POS and reset the ECU by taking off the NEG terminal and pressing the brake pedal and waiting for 5 min.

6th.... use the SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!!

/thread
Old Oct 22, 2009 | 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yes its the culprit. Sell it and put the stock one back on.
Old Oct 22, 2009 | 09:19 PM

go back to oam bov its good up to 450hp and your car will not get up there with the oam turbo
Old Oct 22, 2009 | 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

^ its OEM
Old Oct 22, 2009 | 09:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sysek
go back to oam bov its good up to 450hp and your car will not get up there with the oam turbo
I actually got boost spikes with the OEM BOV. As much as 29psi. I am tuned for 25-26PSI. I switched to GFB Stealth and my boost does not spike to 28-29psi like it did on a lightly crushed stock BOV. Yes, the stocker is great, however it is not always the best for XYZ. I am retuned the car with the BOV. The car runs great.
Old Oct 23, 2009 | 12:43 AM

You can try to disable the airflow codes!
Old Oct 25, 2009 | 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for your input guys, but im not interested in selling it, so im going to get the recirc kit for it. hoping that will solve the problem. im getting the car tuned in the spring.
Old Oct 29, 2009 | 09:32 AM

I've had my HKS SSQV3 on vent to atmosphere with no problems for a while now.....could be your climate?
Old Oct 30, 2009 | 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
1st you FAIL...

2nd... you got a p1241 Torque Limit Code.

3rd... this happens if you use certain BOV's and also happens when your car is not tuned for the BOV....

4th... it's a EVO ... jack .... it is best to have it on recirc settings ALWAYS especially if you are not tuned for it. Only EMS can tune for a VTA BOV, the stock ECU will try to compensate.

5th...fix is to take off that POS and reset the ECU by taking off the NEG terminal and pressing the brake pedal and waiting for 5 min.

6th.... use the SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!!

/thread
blunt, but all true.
Old Nov 2, 2009 | 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

I used that bov for a lil while too. No issues. Put the stocker on when I got my new setup though
Old Dec 25, 2009 | 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

The boost spike you mentioned, did that happen during spool up or between gear shift?

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
I actually got boost spikes with the OEM BOV. As much as 29psi. I am tuned for 25-26PSI. I switched to GFB Stealth and my boost does not spike to 28-29psi like it did on a lightly crushed stock BOV. Yes, the stocker is great, however it is not always the best for XYZ. I am retuned the car with the BOV. The car runs great.
Old Dec 25, 2009 | 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

the wga controls & holds the boost . . . am i right ?
Old Dec 25, 2009 | 06:44 PM

the recirc kit should fix you problem, keep the hks bov.

Originally Posted by JerseyEvox
thanks for your input guys, but im not interested in selling it, so im going to get the recirc kit for it. hoping that will solve the problem. im getting the car tuned in the spring.
Old Jan 2, 2010 | 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by black-dsm
the recirc kit should fix you problem, keep the hks bov.

Quick Reply: Hks ssqv3 evo x problems, help please!