Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Stopping the fuel trims affecting WOT fueling

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Are you saying by adding these definitions it will eliminate the ecu's ability to make compensation/adjustment in cold weather?

I am debating if I should use these for my next tune.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
No the ECU should still be doing temp/baro compensations on the fueling.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

sweet
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad you found this for the X. Good work Tephra! (and a carryover pat on the back for acamus)
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Lattitude 48.38°, Longitude 17.58°, Altitude 146m = Slovakia, for common dude
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
Thanks to Acamus for some seriously hard core disassembling
It is all your effort I have just lit the torch that you can see the dark path
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:09 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hiboost
That's a good question, I switched back to verify why my AFR's were so lean and apparently crips cold 30 F air tends to lean things out a bit compared to 50-60 F air where my AFR's were around 11.5 or so. Right now the trims that used to hover around +-2 are closer to +5 to +7 so when I disabled the LTFT from effecting WOT I was at the 12.3 AFR range. I'm going to get my LTFT's back to around zero and then also alter my High Octane fuel maps a few notches richer so that I can start on the richer side of things safely and then lean it back out again if needed.

I guess if I could count on the LTFT to be more stable & accurate it would balance the tune based on intake temps and fuel used with more safety but the trouble is it almost has a mind of it's own. I'll update more when I figure out why my LTFT's are drifting so positive.
Yeah same issues here... I had my WOT AFR's at about 11.5-7 and then with this change they went terribly lean to about 12.5's. I was just wonder if it was me or no. Ofcourse knock showed up. So I had to redo my entire AFR map.

I will keep updated on this as well.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

^It appears by adding these definition your WOT AFR will go leaner by almost 1 full point, is that because the previous AFR map was constantly richened by LTFT?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:06 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LVSBB6
^It appears by adding these definition your WOT AFR will go leaner by almost 1 full point, is that because the previous AFR map was constantly richened by LTFT?
Probably something of that nature happened. Where are before fuel trims had a effect on WOT operations. Now since they are off, where they richened up the High octane map is off. So you need to recalibrate the entire AFR map.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Can you confirm once the AFR table is fully adjusted to optimal ratio, the values will stay constant and would not go north like initially?

Since I don't have a WB yet, I won't be throwing in these definitions until I hit the dyno.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:15 AM
Account Disabled

Can you confirm once the AFR table is fully adjusted to optimal ratio, the values will stay constant and would not go north like initially?

Since I don't have a WB yet, I won't be throwing in these definitions until I hit the dyno.
Yeah, I will do some more testing today and see if they are consistent.

For now stick with what works...

I got a high knock count of like 36 and -10 timing because my AFR's leaned out like crazy. So it does have a major impact, hopefully after you dial in your AFR map again. You can just leave it alone. If not well then this solution does not work too well.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You shouldn't be doing ANY tuning if you don't have a wideband. $200 is a LOT cheaper than a motor.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
No the ECU should still be doing temp/baro compensations on the fueling.
Indeed this won't effect the compensations for temp/baro, but I found that the LTFT's generally drift positive and add a bit more fuel in when temps are colder. I think this will still be a great fix but I'm going to change my injector scaling a notch richer and see where that puts me. That should zero out my LTFT's again and reduce how much I need to richen up my High Octane Fuel tables to make things perfect again. Basically if I can get a consistant 11.5 AFR in 80F temps and 12.0 AFR in 30F temps with no wacky LTFT's acting on those numbers without my control I'll be happy.

For those thinking about adjusting these without a wideband, I would not recommend it at this time. If your LTFT's were hanging out at +5% then you will easily go about .5 - .7 AFR leaner once those no longer add in fuel during WOT and as others have seen that can push you past the safety area.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:58 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Indeed this won't effect the compensations for temp/baro, but I found that the LTFT's generally drift positive and add a bit more fuel in when temps are colder. I think this will still be a great fix but I'm going to change my injector scaling a notch richer and see where that puts me. That should zero out my LTFT's again and reduce how much I need to richen up my High Octane Fuel tables to make things perfect again. Basically if I can get a consistant 11.5 AFR in 80F temps and 12.0 AFR in 30F temps with no wacky LTFT's acting on those numbers without my control I'll be happy.

For those thinking about adjusting these without a wideband, I would not recommend it at this time. If your LTFT's were hanging out at +5% then you will easily go about .5 - .7 AFR leaner once those no longer add in fuel during WOT and as others have seen that can push you past the safety area.
Yeah in case anyone does not remember how to adjust the EVO AFR map.

New Map AFR = NMAFR
Desired AFR =DAFR
Current Map AFR = MAFR
Actual WB AFR = AAFR

NMAFR=DAFR X MAFR / AAFR

Example.

NMAFR=11.5 X 10 / 12.0 = 9.583

OR 9.6 will be put into your High Octane AFR map for a particular load/rpm.

Jut drop this forumla in excel after a WOT pull and it will tell you were to set your AFR. Then just slowly smooth out the fuel map again.

This is what my map looked like with LTFT @ WOT

This is what my map looks like now with LTFT OFF @ WOT
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't do that.

It's very simple:

Either your cruise trim is negative (ie ECU taking out fuel?) then just leave the map as is and retune the AFR like normal

OR

Your cruise trim is positive (ie ECU adding fuel?) in which case you should multiple the fuel map by the cruise trim, flash, then retune AFR like normal
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

This is great STUFF!!! Man thanks for your hard work man. What's your paypal tephra?
So when doing this we need re-map are High Oct map? If so no big deal just got to do it once! Right on!

Quick Reply: Stopping the fuel trims affecting WOT fueling