Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Got P1870 after tuning, what gives?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got P1870 after tuning, what gives?

I just got my car tuned and now keep getting P1870 with ASC light warning. It happens right when I upshift during WOT runs.

There were no codes during the dyno pull, only happened after on the streets at WOT during upshift.

Tried bumping up the boost and torque limit table, but didn't help much. What's the cause of this?

Last edited by LVSBB6; Nov 20, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

I would guess that it has to do with the amount of torque you are pushing through the SST. Does your car go into limp mode after the WOT shifts?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
It is your transmission. A lot of people who track their MR get this very code.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

pretty sure you've reached the limit of the SST! Time for the SSP upgrade!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:21 PM
Account Disabled

Not the SST limit, but the SST table limits.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Looking at my datalogs it looks like i was overboosting during gear shift at around 5000rpm which triggered the code.

It only happens in between shifts where it spikes to 30psi, but single gear pull is constant at 28psi.

What can be done to avoid overboosting between SST shifts?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

reduce boost ? adjust boost limit table ? adjust boost correction table ? try wastegate mod ?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have a definitive answer to fix this code?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LVSBB6
Looking at my datalogs it looks like i was overboosting during gear shift at around 5000rpm which triggered the code.

It only happens in between shifts where it spikes to 30psi, but single gear pull is constant at 28psi.

What can be done to avoid overboosting between SST shifts?
Please clarify for me. You are shifting at 5k when you get the code, or you are getting the code at 5k after you shift?

I have a lot of data logs on the stock turbo that show the car spikes a LOT on shift. It seems to me that the bov is not fast enough to compensate for a car that shifts in .01 second, without a throttle lift. At least not at your boost and mod levels. What delay do you have set for overboost delay? Mine is 2000ms. (2 seconds).

I am NOT a fan of aftermarket BOV's. However, we have a couple of guys in the area running the syncronic(?) and it seems to get along with our ecu, and do a much better job than the factory one. No, I cannot say this is a definite fix. (I wish I could) But seeing these cars logs compared to before on the stock bov, I would say it "might" help you.

Also, are you still using Cobb software? They have an sst table in there that ECU flash doesn't have. (This table is in addition to the torque limit table that I know you have already adjusted) You may want to adjust the sst torque table up. From the looks of that table, in ATR any how, it seems to be in strait up ft/lbs, so you should be able to set it for what you know the car is hitting.

Last edited by kozmic27; Nov 27, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 01:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kozmic27
They have an sst table in there that ECU flash doesn't have. (This table is in addition to the torque limit table that I know you have already adjusted) You may want to adjust the sst torque table up.
EcuFlash has it, just not the public version yet.

- Bryan
Old Nov 27, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

I`m getting the code at around 5K after upshifting at high rpm at WOT, using SST manual mode. (I find auto shift mode will not have the same issue, as the ecu do the throttle lift)

From datalogs I also notice the boost spike to 29psi, sometimes even 30psi during shift, and that is usually when the P1870 triggers.

My car is tuned to 28psi tapering to 25psi by redline. My overboost delay is also at 2000ms. It appears that I cannot really make any adjustment to lower the boost during SST upshift.

I have sold the Cobb and now running ECUflash which does not have the SST tables you mentioned. So I cannot do any adjustment on that part.

So for the guys you know running aftermarket BOV, would their boost not spike during shift? Please confirm!

Originally Posted by kozmic27
Please clarify for me. You are shifting at 5k when you get the code, or you are getting the code at 5k after you shift?

I have a lot of data logs on the stock turbo that show the car spikes a LOT on shift. It seems to me that the bov is not fast enough to compensate for a car that shifts in .01 second, without a throttle lift. At least not at your boost and mod levels. What delay do you have set for overboost delay? Mine is 2000ms. (2 seconds).

I am NOT a fan of aftermarket BOV's. However, we have a couple of guys in the area running the syncronic(?) and it seems to get along with our ecu, and do a much better job than the factory one. No, I cannot say this is a definite fix. (I wish I could) But seeing these cars logs compared to before on the stock bov, I would say it "might" help you.

Also, are you still using Cobb software? They have an sst table in there that ECU flash doesn't have. (This table is in addition to the torque limit table that I know you have already adjusted) You may want to adjust the sst torque table up. From the looks of that table, in ATR any how, it seems to be in strait up ft/lbs, so you should be able to set it for what you know the car is hitting.

Last edited by LVSBB6; Nov 27, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
How long is the car over 28psi? It seems that since the car isnt doing it on auto, perhaps you are on the edge, and could drop boost .5 psi? The 5 second condition in the set logic tells me it has to be more than just a boost spike, as they don't usually last that long. However if your car is making and holding 28 lbs already, it may be over the hard boost limit in the tcu, but not long enough in the lower gears to trigger the fault. Kris at SSP mentioned to me that it was around 27 psi. Perhaps you could adjust your boost table to shorten peak boost to under the 5 seconds. Send him or Jeremy a pm to confirm, but I have a gut hunch that because of how Mitsu likes to use the term load instead of boost, that perhaps that is your issue.

Perhaps moving your shift point (in manual) up the rpm range, or adjusting your boost table (adding a small taper, that you likely tuned out) so the boost falls just before you shift would get you out of the 5 second window.

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
EcuFlash has it, just not the public version yet.

- Bryan
Bryan, does the "beta" version of ecu flash have a toggle for the boost limit as well?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

^The spike only last 0.2 second during WOT manual gear upshift, anything over 30psi would trigger the code. I`m not sure how your 5 second condition works, but definitely not the same in my case because the spike only happens momentarily during gear shift.

Lowering the boost solves the issue. 27psi seems to be the magic number, as the spike hits 29psi with that boost level. With 28psi the spike would likely hit 30psi and the code pops up.

Now I wonder if there is a way to avoid boost spike in SST manual gear shift, which seems to happen only when running in high boost level.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:23 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LVSBB6
Now I wonder if there is a way to avoid boost spike in SST manual gear shift, which seems to happen only when running in high boost level.

As soon as we/somebody/anybody finds the shift ign retard table it should be golden.

- Bryan
Old Dec 1, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
As soon as we/somebody/anybody finds the shift ign retard table it should be golden.

- Bryan

I thought I read somewhere that the warmup retard table was also used as the shift ign retard table for the MR.

Quick Reply: Got P1870 after tuning, what gives?