Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Good software to check my Evo X's DTC?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Red face Good software to check my Evo X's DTC?

Hi, ecu tuning guys.

FYI:I have a Mitsu 2008 Evo X GSR (5MT) , OpenPort2.0 and ecuflash, and EvoScan 2.7 beta 5.

As you know, map modifing is try and error, during these cycle sometimes engine check lamp lights up. So I wish to check the DTC(P1235, P1238, P1241, etc) and freeze frame stored in the ECU.(very useful)

I'll keep waiting the grate EvoScan(I love it!) will be available to read, clear DTCs, read freeze flames. But It's necessary to tune now, so please introduce your recommended good one to be able to check DTCs and freeze flames for my case.

Thanks for your time!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some of these codes have to do with the torque limiters you have to adjust these
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
p1235 is mas airflow plausibility. Your airlow check tables likely need to be adjusted upward.
p1241 is a torque monitor code, and your toruque limit table likely needs to be adjusted upward
p1238 is mass airflow plausibility (torque monitor), wich is kind of like both of your other. See above to fix.

You will have people tell you to replace your maf sensor, just ignore them.

Without knowing what mods you have on the car, it is difficult to guess what power you are making. However, if you are trying to make 30% over stock, and 30% more torque, it is likely those tables are going to go up by a similar amount. 3" exhaust, intake, intercooler, piping etc, will result in needing to move those tables by about 25-30% for example.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Good software to check my Evo X's DTC? (2)

Sorry for my poor English. I misled you, darthvader and kozmic27.

Let me explain in plain English again, please.

I'm going to start to tune my Evo X's ECU by myself.
So I'm looking for a software that can read DTC, clear DTC, and also read a freeze frame.
(I wrote P1235, P1238, P1241 for examples. Those DTCs has been never detected actually.)
Though I wish my EvoScan could deal with DTC, it cannot deal with DTC so far.

What software do you recommend?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by crimson red
Sorry for my poor English. I misled you, darthvader and kozmic27.

Let me explain in plain English again, please.

I'm going to start to tune my Evo X's ECU by myself.
So I'm looking for a software that can read DTC, clear DTC, and also read a freeze frame.
(I wrote P1235, P1238, P1241 for examples. Those DTCs has been never detected actually.)
Though I wish my EvoScan could deal with DTC, it cannot deal with DTC so far.

What software do you recommend?
I would recomend (and use) Cobb Access Tuner. In addition to a good number of off the shelf maps, the Access Port serves as a code reader/reset tool, in addition to a portable data logger etc. Access Tuner race currently has access to a couple of things the ecuflash is currently lacking, though it is likely this won't be the case forever. However, if you don't have a lot of tuning experience, the Cobb will be a better choice for you, due to a simple interface, and redily available known good maps to base any changes you make from, and good documentation.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kozmic27
I would recomend (and use) Cobb Access Tuner. In addition to a good number of off the shelf maps, the Access Port serves as a code reader/reset tool, in addition to a portable data logger etc. Access Tuner race currently has access to a couple of things the ecuflash is currently lacking, though it is likely this won't be the case forever. However, if you don't have a lot of tuning experience, the Cobb will be a better choice for you, due to a simple interface, and redily available known good maps to base any changes you make from, and good documentation.
That's a huge investment imo if all he wants in addition to evoscan is the ability to read/clear DTC's. It sounds like he already is using evoscan so I assume he can tune/log himself. I would personally recommend a CAN/OBD2 code reader for about 50 bucks. Or, just wait for evoscan to add that ability.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
Account Disabled

PCMscan works well
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you all for your information

>kozmic27
Cobb Access Tuner is very cool!
You are right. I'm a begginer of tuning. So, simple user interfaces, good base maps, and especially good documentations are useful for me. But I'm soory that it isn't reachable for me at this time. I remember the product. Thank you!

>LaXGSR
Your guess about what I want and your suggestions are both correct!!
I have an OpenPort2.0 OBD-II interface, EvoScan2.7b5, and EcuFlash1.42. In addition to these software/hardware, I have a Innovate LC-1 Wideband O2. If you like to tell me, where can I see your recommended CAN/OBD2 code reader?

>GST Motorsports
PCMSCAN looks nice for me!
I'm considering purchase of the product. I wonder whether CAN/OBD2 code reader(LaXGSR written) is the same one or not.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

PCMScan runs on your laptop, so it's just software to allow you to read codes. The CAN/OBD2 reader I suggested is just a simple handheld device that does not need a laptop. It comes with a cable and will connect to any CAN or OBD2 car to read/clear codes. Here is a cheap one, not that I necessarily recommend this specific model. Just go to an auto shop and get one like this if you want a generic tool that will work with any car. If you don't want a tool, and just want software to run on a laptop, then get PCMscan or wait for evoscan to support DTC's. Personally, I think PCMScan is a bit expensive if all you want it for is to read/clear codes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98568
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:29 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the information, LaxGSR.

>The CAN/OBD2 reader I suggested is just a simple handheld device that does not need a laptop.
I understood a CAN/OBD2 reader is a hardware cheaper than PCMSCAN.

>Just go to an auto shop and get one like this if you want a generic tool that will work with any car.
I wish it was possible to see the goods at a store as you proposed. But in Japan, we can't see any products related to OBD-II at auto shop. I have to import these products. I don't know the reason, but it's probably by pressure of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.

So, I decided to buy a license of PCMSCAN.