Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Stock BOV

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock BOV

HI
Can anyone tell me why someone turn(rotate) stock BOV.What s the point of this?
STOCK ENGINE:

ROTATE BOV:
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it add's 50 more whp
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:56 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It helps keep the BOV from opening prematurely at higher PSI levels. It also may potentially create a nasty boost spike that you have to tune out.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um, i'm not sure if you guys are being serious or not, but turning the BOV backwards like that will cause it to not operate correctly and blow the turbo if not worse.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evosam726
it add's 50 more whp
I was thinking the same thing!

Anyway, instead of the boost pushing on the flat part of the BOV (forcing it open), it pushes on the side of the valve and down. Therefore the BOV can hold more boost. I had the BOV on my 8 backwards for a while. I can't remember what the max boost was, but it was higher than when the BOV was in the factory position.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

I think this is a bad idea. The valve was designed so that it opened with the help of boost, like 20 psi. By rotating it, you make it try to open with boost forcing it closed. Imagine 20 psi forcing it closed. Do you think it has the strength to open it? Think of what this will do to your engine.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

I asked because I have tuned Evo X (400hp and 415Nm). Now I have installed Blitz Blow off and I get sometimes ASC cell and car loss power,then I turn off car,when I turn on car work normal.
My tuner told me that I need to install back stock BOV and also rotated like is on the second picture.??????

Bojan
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you reverse the stock BOV like that it will NOT open when you come off the throttle until boost pressure comes down by back feeding through the turbocharger... you may as well remove the BOV and install a block off plug in the holes where it connects to the intercooler pipe and intake tube.

Keith
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boy36
I asked because I have tuned Evo X (400hp and 415Nm). Now I have installed Blitz Blow off and I get sometimes ASC cell and car loss power,then I turn off car,when I turn on car work normal.
My tuner told me that I need to install back stock BOV and also rotated like is on the second picture.??????

Bojan

And you need a new tuner.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:32 PM

Are you recirc or VTA?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
When you reverse the stock BOV like that it will NOT open when you come off the throttle until boost pressure comes down by back feeding through the turbocharger... you may as well remove the BOV and install a block off plug in the holes where it connects to the intercooler pipe and intake tube.

Keith
It will open .. it uses the vacuum created in the manifold when you release throttle to PULL the valve open .. the venting is not as fast because of the reversal and you sometimes can cause a slight compressor surge ..

Your issue is at part throttle .. not at full open or full closed throttle positions ..

Stock BOV at part throttle will open the valve slightly to equalise the pressure .. Flipping it over removes this ability and you can get potential surges and flutters .

Flipping the BOV over is a cheap / poor man's way of getting a better holding BOV versus buying an aftermarket BOV

To the OP .. flipping over the BOV has its own inherent issues .. like triggering overtorque conditions .. and maybe reducing the lifespan of the turbo.. but hey .. we do it on the track too .. not always though .. hehe