Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

AEM Meth Kit Failsafe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Meth Kit Failsafe

Anyone know of a good failsafe for the AEM meth kit?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I've heard good things about the Snow Performance failsafes. You may want to check with your tuner or venture into the Evolution 1-9 subforum. You'll probably find more people running W/I there.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
I've heard good things about the Snow Performance failsafes. You may want to check with your tuner or venture into the Evolution 1-9 subforum. You'll probably find more people running W/I there.
Something like this then? The wastegate solenoid. Anyone have any experience with Snow Performance?

Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

AEM say this on their site. Hope it helps.

All AEM Water/Methanol controllers include a Boost Safe feature. This feature allows users to retard timing or reduce boost via a ground output if the system runs out of fluid or detects a controller error, ensuring fail-safe operation of the engine whether the system is engaged or not. Critical safety features are integrated into the system to virtually eliminate any chance of failure, including an integral fluid level sensor in the reservoir, internal controller diagnostics and an LED dash light to warn of low fluid level or error codes (including short circuits.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

The Snow Performance Waste Gate Solenoid does work with the AEM; I have it now. I have yet to connect it up fully, but it works fine; my car is not yet tuned for methanol so it doesn't matter if I run out. I simulated a failure (ie, low fluid) with the AEM and the Solenoid popped open, as it should have.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hotdog
The Snow Performance Waste Gate Solenoid does work with the AEM; I have it now. I have yet to connect it up fully, but it works fine; my car is not yet tuned for methanol so it doesn't matter if I run out. I simulated a failure (ie, low fluid) with the AEM and the Solenoid popped open, as it should have.
Nice to know. That's what I was looking for.

Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Just an FYI though: It does nothing to guard against lack of flow. That is, let's say my hose snaps off, and methanol isn't getting into the intake; well, the AEM wouldn't know it. It'd keep happily spraying until my engine explodes.

To get protection against lack of flow you'd also need the "SafeInjection" kit from SnowPerformance, that can work along with the AEM controller, in theory.

That is located here:

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=13

Now, I said "in theory" as I'm not 100% sure if it can work with the AEM. It basically monitors flow; but what I don't know is how it actually times it. I don't know if it requires a signal from the SnowPerformance controller to know to actually measure flow... I mean, it has an adjustment for "time delay", as in "if I don't detect flow for X amount of seconds I'll trigger the fail safe", but I'm confused as to what timer it's actually using. Is it actually just detecting flow? Because if so, well, if I'm idling, I'm not flowing meth. If I'm cruising on the high way, I'm not flowing meth. So it almost has to have a signal from a controller to say "I SHOULD BE SPRAYING!" and *THEN* begin to time, and if it doesn't see flow trigger the fail safe.

You'd have to ask SnowPerformance/someone more knowledgeable about it to get the exacts. I'm just not seeing how it exactly determines when to measure flow.

At some point, if you're decking yourself out with all the failsafes, might make more sense to go with SnowPerformance/some other brand that has full support for the failsafes.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

To monitor flow I'll be using an AEM wather/meth gauge. They just became available (saw the product at SEMA). I'll mount it as close to the nozzle as possible.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Well holy hell, look at that. Nicer than the Snow Performance one too, as it's brand agnostic. I like that. Will be getting one.

Nice find!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Labonte failsafes work with the AEM kit
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well holy hell, look at that. Nicer than the Snow Performance one too, as it's brand agnostic. I like that. Will be getting one.

Nice find!
I saw this at the SEMA show and wanted one right away, they just started selling them to the public.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:20 PM

Now, I said "in theory" as I'm not 100% sure if it can work with the AEM. It basically monitors flow; but what I don't know is how it actually times it. I don't know if it requires a signal from the SnowPerformance controller to know to actually measure flow... I mean, it has an adjustment for "time delay", as in "if I don't detect flow for X amount of seconds I'll trigger the fail safe", but I'm confused as to what timer it's actually using. Is it actually just detecting flow? Because if so, well, if I'm idling, I'm not flowing meth. If I'm cruising on the high way, I'm not flowing meth. So it almost has to have a signal from a controller to say "I SHOULD BE SPRAYING!" and *THEN* begin to time, and if it doesn't see flow trigger the fail safe.

you point out exactly why the snow and labonte failsafes are just straight up fail. they only look at flow at one point and to account for those times where you're under that flow rate (and supposed to be) they add in a time delay to buffer the trigger point. blah terrible system. might as well have nothing. both those systems have been around for a while and they're very problematic. that one product has been the reason everyone turns to aquamist which is too expensive imo.

and hell yes that aem gauge is perfect. that's your failsafe right there. if it goes too high or too low then left off.

and i almost forgot... you can get the boost control solenoid that comes in the aem boost controller separately so there is no need to mix and match and bunch of different parts from different manufacturers. the aem solenoid is a mac valve which is way better than that plastic snow solenoid.

Last edited by 1fastevo99; Jan 15, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Holy ****, it's actually that bad? I was just spit balling with that guess. That is... that's horrible. That's just hideous.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:53 PM

I'm running the AEM w/m kit and a 100% meth solution.

Currently it's hooked up throug a 3 port so that when the meth runs out it cuts boost like crazy so that I don't blow anything up (hopefully).

I don't have any way to monitor the flow rate though...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rik84
I'm running the AEM w/m kit and a 100% meth solution.

Currently it's hooked up throug a 3 port so that when the meth runs out it cuts boost like crazy so that I don't blow anything up (hopefully).

I don't have any way to monitor the flow rate though...
mind to post up on a how to hook up the failsafe ?

Quick Reply: AEM Meth Kit Failsafe