Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

evo x ecu questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo x ecu questions

i have a turbo gts but i need a tune i am going to try and use the evo x fuels maps to get correct fueling for my engine. my question is without the timing maps would the fuel maps work for a turbo motor? the evo has much more agressive fuel map so i figured that would work for my application since i'm using a complete evo x turbo setup. what do you guys think. basically i copied the fuel maps onto my definition file for my stock lancer gts and left the timing maps stock.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would use the Evo timing maps and mivec maps assuming the lancer has mivec as well.

The lancer will have higher timing which could pose a problem, you will want lower timing initially and as you get more comfortable with your tune, you can increase timing.

I would also start on low boost, maybe the stock actuator level (7psi?) and tune this bad boy SLOWLY!

Again, I cannot stress enough to start slowly and move up over time. Or, he best thing to do if you can afford it is to take it to get tuned professionally by a well known EVO tuning shop...IVEY/GST/RRE/AMS....
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You should also get a walbro pump and some evo injectors, might find a set cheap as most evo guys upgrade to bigger units...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:36 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would not base anything off the stock maps for another car. I'm assuming the intake manifold, intercooler, head, exhaust manifold, flow level of the exhaust, and all the way down to the MAF are all different. If the stock evo maps are aggressive, you're already off to a really bad start.... they run 9.5:1 AFR from the factory and are so rich that they break up!

Based on your questions it sounds like you need a little more information about tuning before you dive in. I might recommend using a professional tuner to get you started and learning as you go.

Last edited by fostytou; Apr 16, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

evo ecu

i do have the evo x injectors installed but im running the stock gts pump for right now. i did try to flash my gts ecu with the evo x and it ran like crap after about 2 mins. the car studdered and wouldnt go over 3k with some serious knock. so i figured that the evo x timing maps may have been a bit high. i was throwing a code po365 which is the mivec exhaust cam sensor. im think i might need to use the lancer gts base mivec maps to avoid knock when looking at the two definitions side by side the evo x has a timing set of 21 intake and 24 exhaust verses the lancer gts of 13 intake 15 stock. i plan on getting a profesional tune asap but need a base tune to get me to the shop doing the work.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
I would not base anything off the stock maps for another car. I'm assuming the intake manifold, intercooler, head, exhuast manifold, flow level of the exhaust, and all the way down to the MAF are all different. If the stock evo maps are aggressive, you're already off to a really bad start.... they run 9.5:1 AFR from the factory and are so rich that they break up!

Based on your questions it sounds like you need a little more information about tuning before you dive in. I might recommend using a professional tuner to get you started and learning as you go.
Im with Fostytou on this one. There are way too many differences between the car setups to go with an Evo map. If you added a turbo kit to your GTS, then you should have an idea of a tuner that can tune you. Hit up local shops and find someone that has good knowledge of DSM's and Evo's and get them to take a look at it. If anything they can get you a decent base map to play with.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
stick with your stock rom

get a wideband 02

slowly tune - you effectively have to start from scratch

OR - pay someone todo it for you!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dadsgts
i do have the evo x injectors installed but im running the stock gts pump for right now. i did try to flash my gts ecu with the evo x and it ran like crap after about 2 mins. the car studdered and wouldnt go over 3k with some serious knock. so i figured that the evo x timing maps may have been a bit high. i was throwing a code po365 which is the mivec exhaust cam sensor. im think i might need to use the lancer gts base mivec maps to avoid knock when looking at the two definitions side by side the evo x has a timing set of 21 intake and 24 exhaust verses the lancer gts of 13 intake 15 stock. i plan on getting a profesional tune asap but need a base tune to get me to the shop doing the work.
don't use the evo x mivec maps + your timing maps..i'm assuming that the stock timing maps of the lancer gts will be higher than evo x of course being that it has higher compression (i'm assuming this) and it came from a different platform (NA)..you may be getting knocks due to extremely rich or your mivec timing does not stack up with your timing maps..your pistons might end up making out with your valves..

like what tephra said it will either be getting a professional tune (highly recommended)..or if you want to do it by yourself, start from scratch using your maps..also there are a lot of factors that wouldn't stack up with your car (like what fostytou said)..it's a totally different car especially in the inside..compression will be different and all..

what you could do is ask around the lancer area forums that has done turboing their cars..we also don't know how good/bad your shortblock will be..good luck!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you just need to get it to the shop doing the work and have only changed injectors (NOT MAF) then all should need to change are the injector scaling and latencies. If you stay out of boost and higher RPM, which you should on a totally untuned car, that should get you to the shop flawlessly.