Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Should I sell my AP and just use the ECUtek stuff?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are tuning yourself or doing an etune, yes you need evoscan.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
If you are tuning yourself or doing an etune, yes you need evoscan.
i've already gotten an etune with Mellon once using the AP. I'm doing it to try to get some of my money back out of the AP and because I don't use it on a regular basis, I get sent maps that I use and once I get the right one, i'll be all finished and won't need anything except to take the occasional log.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
Ok, so I need the cable obviously, and the software is free... Do I need Evoscan as well or is all I really need the cable and the free software?
You need EvoScan too. I think its $25.

But, if you plan on getting the Nav, it comes with it.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:11 PM
Account Disabled

Evan, read this all the way to the bottom, links to everything you need to get rid of the AP and go into the light

http://www.mellontuning.com/index.ph...ex&cPath=18_44
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:42 PM

If you aren't getting a custom tune, and don't have time to futz around with tuning and just want some instant set it-and-forget it power the AP is great. You can throw a Stage 1 map on your car within 5 minutes of getting the AP knowing nothing about it - its stupid easy.

I had an AP and recently sold it because CBRD wanted to use ECUflash to tune my car - otherwise I would have kept the AP because it was so damn user friendly and easy.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thevidon
If you aren't getting a custom tune, and don't have time to futz around with tuning and just want some instant set it-and-forget it power the AP is great. You can throw a Stage 1 map on your car within 5 minutes of getting the AP knowing nothing about it - its stupid easy.

I had an AP and recently sold it because CBRD wanted to use ECUflash to tune my car - otherwise I would have kept the AP because it was so damn user friendly and easy.
yes it is very user friendly... but as I said.. once I get the IC, I will have it tuned one more time and that's it for mods. I'm not going into the engine or anything and should have enough for 330 hp or around i'm guessing. We all always want faster, but I feel what I will have will be plenty. Having the AP isn't going to really help me that much anymore. I can clear codes and such, but I have a lot of friends who work on cars and can clear codes if I need it.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Pinocchio, don't jump to the water
There is a bunch of sharks waiting for you. lol

Buddy, without a bigger turbo you won't add too much with a bigger IC.
At the point that you are, the next step, is a bigger turbo, gas pump, run e85, bigger injectors, etc
I won't lost my time tuning a bigger intercooler
Correct me if I’m wrong but the stock IC can hold 30 and 35 psi peak, for the stock turbo there is no need to change the IC,
The less money option for you right now is to call cob for an e-tune and ask for a "next 4th of July fathers day discount" they will hook you up for sure
Or learn the AP software and data logging / tune it your self

I love to be my own boss and tuner, I don't need to go to some “Diva tuner” asking for $$$ favors.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex3dworld
Hey Pinocchio, don't jump to the water
There is a bunch of sharks waiting for you. lol

Buddy, without a bigger turbo you won't add too much with a bigger IC.
At the point that you are, the next step, is a bigger turbo, gas pump, run e85, bigger injectors, etc
I won't lost my time tuning a bigger intercooler
Correct me if I’m wrong but the stock IC can hold 30 and 35 psi peak, for the stock turbo there is no need to change the IC,
The less money option for you right now is to call cob for an e-tune and ask for a "next 4th of July fathers day discount" they will hook you up for sure
Or learn the AP software and data logging / tune it your self

I love to be my own boss and tuner, I don't need to go to some “Diva tuner” asking for $$$ favors.
An IC adds 22 whp over stock, no tuning... I would say adding that much is pretty good.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:18 AM

Hey, Methodical4u: Please keep this thread up to date with your expenses and experience, good or bad. Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
An IC adds 22 whp over stock, no tuning... I would say adding that much is pretty good.
I would takes those gains with a grain of salt my friend...IC's don't add power unless the stock one is heatsoaked.

I ran the stock IC up to 400whp with no problems, so I doubt an IC is worth it, there are other things I would buy first.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I would takes those gains with a grain of salt my friend...IC's don't add power unless the stock one is heatsoaked.

I ran the stock IC up to 400whp with no problems, so I doubt an IC is worth it, there are other things I would buy first.
I was present when those gains were made at ETS. Those gains are real. There is a whole thread (which I'm sure you're aware of) of ETS gains on their parts (no tuning updates).
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I was present when those gains were made at ETS. Those gains are real. There is a whole thread (which I'm sure you're aware of) of ETS gains on their parts (no tuning updates).
Yes but there are so many factors that it isn't even worth saying, this piece gains this amount.

An IC is a good investment for sure, but I don't think it's necessary until a lot of other things are addressed.

The stock IC does not have a flow issue at stock turbo levels as far as I could tell, so the only real gains would be from possibly a lower pressure drop and maybe heatsoaking.

Edit: and who cares about untuned results, the IC could've swayed the afr a point and that could account for 22whp easy.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

I think that is time for Cobb AP to came with an stage 3 based in turbo back + exhaust intake + "bigger intercooler & pipes".
Don’t you guys think?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

I think it's time for people to stop trying to use base maps on their cars

Instead of paying 600 for the AP...use that money on 2-3 tunes on a dyno...bam, way better results and safer.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:09 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I think it's time for people to stop trying to use base maps on their cars

Instead of paying 600 for the AP...use that money on 2-3 tunes on a dyno...bam, way better results and safer.
Completely agree with you here. As many 4B11s that have popped, there are a very select few tuners in this country I would trust with bolt-on parts that REQUIRE a custom tune. A dyno tune is the only way you're going to get it as well.

Last edited by migs647; Jun 23, 2010 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my AP and just use the ECUtek stuff?