Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

My tuning journey begins...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tuning journey begins...

Hello all,

well i've read and read and read some more and the first thing i'm doing is starting to just log information from the car so I can learn what to look for and how things work.

Mods:TBE, Full IC Piping, 4.5" IC, AEM Intake, AEM Wideband
Sunoco 93 Octane fuel

I flashed my car with the Gunzo's Evo_XGSR-93OctIntExh tune and then logged two pulls on my car. I have attached a spreadsheet with two tabs, each tab is label as to what gear I was in during the pull.

Knock looks extremely high compared to what i've been reading; you only want maybe 1 count or 2 counts of knock at most.

my next questions are, should I be logging anything else and what else looks bad? I was thinking about pulling the battery cable so that way the car has to start over again. From my understand driving the car around will entice the computer to learn knock which is not good.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Olsookie
Attached Files

Last edited by olsookie; Jun 24, 2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Updated ZIP File w/ correct Spreadsheet information
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:54 PM

Good luck, once you get the hang of it, it isn't too bad. You are doing the right thing by reading a whole lot. You gotta soak everything in.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
1)
you DONT need AFRMAP
you DO need WDB or AFR from the wideband

2) your trims are 8% positive, so you need to rescale your injectors

3) tune in 4th if possible, start from 2000 or 2500 - but always start from the same RPM, also do the pull on the same bit of straight/flat road

otherwise looking good so far..
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Question

tephra, I have read a few articles on scaling injectors and the best one was located on another forum named: "HOW TO: Adjust Injector Latency & Scaling for Larger Injector"

From what I understand I would start going down in size for the 532cc/min fuel injector scaling and the only time the voltage table would be touched is if my car started to have issues idling. Would that be a correct statement?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:33 PM
EvoM Guru

read this:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/3313010-post69.html

its not about how the car "feels" - although that will alert you to a possible problem - its about the trims

larger injectors will require a larger injector scaling - otherwise the ECU will asume the injectors are smaller than they are and open them up for longer ..

just read/follow that link - its where the howto came from
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

thank you, after i posted that i made some changes and went for a ride.

i decreased my scaling by 1% and after a ride made average LTFT's changed to
LTFT_IDLE = 2.9297
LTFT_Cruise = 8.0078

I pulled over in a parking lot, read your response on my blackberry and the link you sent me (thank you again) and decreased each MS column in the Injector Battery Voltage Latency Compensation by approximately 1ms(i would try to set the data to exactly 1ms but ecuflash rounds up the 0.0xx values) After driving home the same route my averages were:

LTFT_IDLE = -0.195 as expected
LTFT_Cruise = 11.328 not as expected, haha.

i'm sitting in my driveway and read the material again, increased the scaling back to where it was 532 and decreased the ms values for each voltage again by another 0.1ms, just flashed my car and as i'm writing this up my average
LTFT_IDLE = 11.18487961
LTFT_CRUISE =11.328125 (which i know will change once i start driving)

little confused at the moment but rest assure tomorrow when i wake up i'll have a more clear mind and maybe there will be some more input
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

you have 2 trims.

you need to do two scenarios for each trim:

Idle trim = leave car idling for 5 mins, watch the LTFT_Idle trim change/stabilise
Cruise Trim = sit on the freeway @ 3000rpm, cruisecontrol for 10 mins watch the LTFT_Cruise trim change/stabalise

You need to wait for them to stabilise until making changes
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

ok, I drove for about 15 minutes on the free way after making the changes both times. so the cruise value is definitely valid of the first values, idling time was only 2-3 minutes max between sitting in the driveway and red lights to go to the freeway.

tomorrow I will set all settings back to stock, decrease the values 2-3% flash the car and let it idle for 5 minutes, then my drive to work should take care of the cruise value. i'll be back tomorrow. ;0)
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Also, unplug the battery after every change to reset the fuel trims (~30 sec).
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

this morning on my way to work I flashed the car w/ the stock voltage values and decreased injector scaling by 3% let the car idle

injector scaling looks to be a lot closer to 0 at this point, it's still + but within the 5%.

I'm trying something since after deleting a majority of the columns i still cannot post the one spreadsheet due to size.

http://www.box.net/shared/z8ru0q12b4

EvoScanDataLog_Scaling_IdleCruise.xlsx is my log for the idle this morning and driving to work.

EvoScanDataLog_Olsookie.xlsx is my 4th gear pull

I'll edit and remove this info if this turns out to be a non-success in terms of sharing files.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Question

ok, i'm back....

for a while there I really just didn't have the time to start looking at the next thing, getting knock to or around 0 across the board and now that I have had some time, i decided tonight was a good night to log a little.

I made two runs and I'm going to use the 4th gear pull as Tephra has suggested I do, both pulls made on the same stretch of highway.

Around 3398 RPMS I receive two counts for a couple rpms and then at 4695 RPMS i received two counts for a couple rpms.

I want to pull back the timing one degree when the knock starts for that RPM Range to see the results but my question is with the "High Octane Timing Map" the "LOAD(%)", is that the LoadFuel column in EvoScan Logs? I'm assuming "LoadMivec" would be for Mivec based Logs and I tried to find "LoadLowIATTiming" but couldn't find anything on it.

And my question off of that is say that the LoadFuel is at 267, would I want to make the change at the 260 range or the 270 range? I would gander that you always round to the closest load range?

Thanks again Guys, you all make it very easy for us to figure out and just from the little tuning i've done with injector scaling my car runs tremendously better.

olsookie
Attached Thumbnails My tuning journey begins...-capture.png  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Olsookie_EvoScanDataLog.zip (35.5 KB, 0 views)
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

always reset batt after adjusting trims for better accuracy, the cycle of the rims is +/- 4 mins each cycle and if you can idle for 16 mins cycle and then use cruise control @3000 rpm for another 16mins. make only minor changes. but do take note the trims will change with the weather too.

knock will always be there 1-2 occasional random knock count is normal imo.

for in btwn cells changes, where we fall in most of the time, use avg no's btwn them or you can rescale your map to the closest where it always ends up. ie, if you are always close to 270 load so just rescale yr map to have a 270 column.

happy tooning
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:24 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You are using the load for fuel to tune timing, that is your first mistake... you correctly identified it but did nothing about it. The two load items that represent timing under different IATs are directly under the load Fuel item in evoscan.

The ECU always interpolates, so a load value of 267 will be the direct mathematically calculated value between what is in your maps for 260 and 280 at that exact load value. It does not "snap" or "round" to a value near it.

The point of doing consecutive pulls is 2 fold: 1) to see that knock occurs in the same location because if it doesn't, it may have just been an oddity and 2) so that you can compare changes in VDR or some other type of logger to see the resulting increase or decrease in power.

Focus on AFR before you start reducing timing, or your amount of time spent increasing timing later will be much greater. The knock could have been because you were too rich or too lean.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the clarification fostytou.

The reason I started looking at the timing and knock next was because that's what i've read about over and over.

1st do injector scaling thanks to Tephra pointing this out, next is timing to get knock to 0's and 1's, then boost, then afr...

This is the thread I have been following:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-tune-evo.html