Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Tactrix Cable and Flashing Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tactrix Cable and Flashing Questions

I posted some questions on the RA section but that forum s usually dead on the weekend and I know the Evo community has more experience with this kind of tuning.

I got my Tactrix cable in yesterday and after reading some threads over the past few days I figured I would just start by reading my stock ROM and trying to save it before messing with anything else.

1) My cable came with a separate cable with a headphone connector. I saw some older Evo threads mentioning a second plug next to the OBD-II connection but the RA didn't have it. Also I was able to connect to the car using OpenECU without issue so I'm assuming this isn't necessary?

2) When reading the ROM on the ECU the car started displaying error messages on the center display (Car is overheating, service AWD, Service transmission). They all went away once it was done, is this normal?

3) Once my stock ROM was read I received the error that I didn't have the correct definitions. It appears I need an XML file however none of ones I could find seemed to work. Where can I get the correct XML? Will I need this or another XML to load the GST base map?

4) I read on some threads that i should clear DTCs after flashing. I just went out to try and clear the DTC and didnt have much luck. After reading the ecu again, i chose to Exit Programming State then Clear DTCs. When I did I got this message in the log window "Flashing tools do not recognize flash method"

I now have the Service Engine Soon light on but I went for a quick drive around my neighborhood and everything seemed to work fine. Can I just go to AutoZone and have them clear the codes until I can figure this out?

I appreciate the help
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

1) the second connector is only used for older evos.
2) that's normal.
3)send me a pm with your email and i'll send you all the files you need.
4)depends on which evoscan you have, some work for DTCs some don't. i use pcmscan do read my codes but that's only because i bought the software when evoscan couldn't log knock thinking pcmscan could. turns out i use it for something at least.

yes you can go to autozone and have them clear it out. ask them for the code number so you can get an idea of what was wrong.

hope that helped some. happy 4th
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by criptballer
1) the second connector is only used for older evos.
I figured as much but wanted to make sure

2) that's normal.
Cool

3)send me a pm with your email and i'll send you all the files you need.
Done

4)depends on which evoscan you have, some work for DTCs some don't. i use pcmscan do read my codes but that's only because i bought the software when evoscan couldn't log knock thinking pcmscan could. turns out i use it for something at least.
Im using ECUFlash version 1.42.2595

yes you can go to autozone and have them clear it out. ask them for the code number so you can get an idea of what was wrong.
Actually I went and they said they cant clear codes So I just left and right after the light went off. From what Ive read on other threads the light is caused by the ECU and SST not communicating during the ECU read process.

hope that helped some. happy 4th
Yes it did thanks
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Yes the SST will cause codes. It goes away.

He was talking about EvoScan, not EcuFlash... to read your codes. The newest EvoScan can read and clear my DTC on a 2010 EvoX.

If Cript doesn't have your definitions, I know I do.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

sent you the xml file. yeah, you use evoscan to log and the newest one can read and clear codes. ecuflash if to tune.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

sent you the xml file. yeah, you use evoscan to log and the newest one can read and clear codes. ecuflash if to tune.
I copied the folder you sent into the Program Files and Im still not able to read my stock map I pulled last night. However, when I was using just the normally installed EVO folder I could read the GST Map but with the new files you sent it wont. I reverted back to the old files and it can read the GST Map again.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by DaJackson; Jul 3, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

If you want to email me your ROM, I can figure out what files you need. Unless you know your ROM Id.

I'll pm you my email.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golden
If you want to email me your ROM, I can figure out what files you need. Unless you know your ROM Id.

I'll pm you my email.
Email and PM sent...thanks
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golden

I'll pm you my email.
Success! Thanks for the help. Hopefully everything will go smoothly flashing the new Rom in the morning.