Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

MIVEC + FP Red + Surging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MIVEC + FP Red + Surging

So, I have been spending weeks (1-4 hours a week, if even) trying to get a good grasp on my MIVEC maps to counteract the surging I am having with my Red. I had some surging in 3rd which is completely gone now, but 4th-6th is still a huge issue.. the car absolutely hates partial or even full throttle going 4-5-6.

Can anyone suggest ANYTHING to fix/alleviate this? I am desperate..
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what brand of blow of valve you have???
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Less boost or get rid of the Red in favor for something with a larger compressor cover.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Happens with both stock and Perrin. I can get rid of some of the surge running either in BOV instead of recirc.

New turbo is out of the question, and I can run 31-32Lb of boost with 0 surge. It surges in high gears, lower RPM - usually around -4 to +5 PSI.. after the 4000-4500RPM range, it's perfectly content.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

try the syncronic blow of valve , we have the same problem with evo 9 , also with red turbo and with this blow of valve problem solve , after that we tried stock,greddy and no way to work fine the car.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saytheb
Happens with both stock and Perrin. I can get rid of some of the surge running either in BOV instead of recirc.

New turbo is out of the question, and I can run 31-32Lb of boost with 0 surge. It surges in high gears, lower RPM - usually around -4 to +5 PSI.. after the 4000-4500RPM range, it's perfectly content.

Contact Gunzo, he has gear based MIVEC for you to fix this specific problem

Btw, what tq are you seeing at 3000 rpm in 3rd?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know the actual torque, however I have some SST fixes via Bryan/Tephra so it's pretty smoothe.

I contacted Gunzo, he's full up on things to do, so it'll be a while before he gets even a chance to consider putting that in for me. I am looking for something until then..
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

About 564 results (0.20 seconds)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a..._nhi=&safe=off
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

I don't have a red, but have been trying to figure out which turbo - red vs green to get...

If I were you I would talk to Clipse3gt (evom) or Hollywood (other forums) for help. They have a good amount of experience.

I think you can reduce the agressiveness of your MIVEC to remove surge but that will also cause LAG. - Good luck!

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Fantastic. I am glad you know how to use search and control-C! In the future when you are trolling the forums, use this website instead: www.lmgtfy.com (and my search was .18 seconds, guess my E-Peen is larger.)

And the other results, including what I've searched in the forums, such as 'how to tune MIVEC', and 'mivec maps' turned up loads of information, which I have used for myself in order to try to fix this issue.

I know a lot of newbs don't bother to search, but some do. Please, don't waste space where others have and are actually trying to assist.

Last edited by saytheb; Jul 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
I don't have a red, but have been trying to figure out which turbo - red vs green to get...

If I were you I would talk to Clipse3gt (evom) or Hollywood (other forums) for help. They have a good amount of experience.

I think you can reduce the agressiveness of your MIVEC to remove surge but that will also cause LAG. - Good luck!

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE this turbo, but the surging takes the fun out of it when I'm flipping through gears. The power is absolutely amazing, and I can hardly feel any lag down low except for dead stops (SST though).

I've scaled back the MIVEC around the 3-4k marks, and it's helped a TON in 3rd, and a little in 4th.. 5th and 6th remain untouched though sadly!

I sent an email to Clipse3gt , I talked with Hollywood a while back already, fixed a bunch of old issues, but this has been lingering.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, unfortuately Gear based MIVEC might be the only salvation.

I am not sure why that has to be a custom rom from Gunzo, but aparently it does.

On a side note, I know you say you like the power, but do you wish you would've bought the green?

This decision is killing me
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

From what I've read so far, the Red might be best for the SST, since with the lag there doesn't seem to be such a large amount of shock to the tranny..

I don't regret getting the red at all, once I am moving around I have loads of power whenever I'd like (I am setup for E85 as well). I honestly think between the red and green will be more of a personal choice.. but with some tweaking, but red's "lag" is hardly if at all noticeable. I have yet to be in a X with a green..

It's more because ECUFlash doesn't have the tables listed, so you need some direct hex editing AFAIK..
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

I don't regret getting the red at all, once I am moving around I have loads of power whenever I'd like (I am setup for E85 as well).
Oh Yeah, E85 will help ALOT. I don't have that around here

It's more because ECUFlash doesn't have the tables listed, so you need some direct hex editing AFAIK..
Couldn't he just post the tables and addresses for others to use, or are the addresses specific to something besides a ROM ID?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Oh Yeah, E85 will help ALOT. I don't have that around here

Couldn't he just post the tables and addresses for others to use, or are the addresses specific to something besides a ROM ID?
I sent an email asking him exactly this 5-10 minutes earlier than your post haha

Quick Reply: MIVEC + FP Red + Surging