Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

ECU Problems Cobb AP to OpenSource

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU Problems Cobb AP to OpenSource

Hey guys, today I went to HP Logic in Wellington, Florida, to get a tune on my 2008 X MR. This is the same shop that did the white 503whp EVO X MR; Jack Cecil knows his $h1T.

Jack's platform of choice for tuning in the factory ECU with the OpenECU open source tune.

Here is what happened:
We ran a baseline on my modified Stage 2 AP map. The car dynoed 268awhp and 260awtq.

From that point, Jack unmarried my Cobb AP, and he hooked up his computer to run the OpenECU software. He got into the factory ECU and made the changes for the first test. As this was happening, the car's battery or electrical system (not sure of the culprit) died mid-flash.

For some reason, this caused the car's ECU to "lock up" essentially.

In order to unlock this, Jack had to remove the ECU from the car, create an OBDII to USB cable adapter to go from the 100+ pin setup on the ECU into his computer in order to reflash the ECU with a stock map.

This worked, and the ECU was now in a stock state.

Jack then flashed the ECU with the modified map file, and, for some reason, the ECU "locked up" again. At this point, we figured that it was the map that was causing the issue. Because of this suspicion, Jack deleted the modified map from the interface of the software and remade it. This did not change anything. The map would load, and, when we went into the ECU to make changes or reflash again, the ECU would get hung up and become unresponsive or unaffected by the changes.

In order to move forward, I told Jack not to worry about it and tune the car using the Cobb AP and the Protune Software that I have for the AP. We did this, and Jack was able to pick up 51awhp and 17awtq (we had to limit the torque because of the SST, but we still managed to pick up 17awtq at peak tq.)

I wanted to see what you all had to say about the issue that I was having with the ECU.

All in all, Jack and I got both goals we established: Jack-310-320awhp; Me-The ability to continue using my AccessPORT (that damn thing has me mesmerized lol...VTEC fanboy style). Regardless of the issues that we had, I could not be happier with the service at HP Logic and the quality of Jack's tuning. He was able to instill peace-of-mind within me about the SST tranny that is pushing well over 300awhp on stock clutches. Do not take the problems that I experienced today as a result of Jack's work because I assure you that that was not the case.

What do you all think?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
I think you need to do incremental changes in the map to find out which change was causing the ECU lockup...

generally a bad ROM wont die out half-way through the flash...
Old Jul 24, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
I think you need to do incremental changes in the map to find out which change was causing the ECU lockup...

Is it possible the map got corrupted somehow? Might also want to try doing a read from the ECU, and building the new map on it directly. If it were me, I would also try a different tatrix plug in case it isn't mating tightly with your obd2 port. Sometimes the obd2 ports can get "loose" if they've had a dongle hanging off of them a lot and gotten bumped with a foot a few times. This is not uncommon if the plug isn't flipped because AP users frequently have it plugged in a lot.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 02:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did he not verify the addresses on the mode 23 mod values? i had that happen (on a 2010) and had to bench flash!!

cb

PS- battery charger during flash
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:37 AM
Account Disabled

Sounds like something was changed incorrectly with the ROM he was using in ecuflash. Flashing is done the same way currently with COBB.

I call operator error, and no this is not a bash of the tuner, we all make mistakes sometimes.

- Bryan
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by tephra

The rom would finish flashing....but the ecu stayed in a flashing state...(fans on) .....I will try to make the changes in increments on the next go...thank you!

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Sounds like something was changed incorrectly with the ROM he was using in ecuflash. Flashing is done the same way currently with COBB.

I call operator error, and no this is not a bash of the tuner, we all make mistakes sometimes.

- Bryan
you are most likely correct!....lol...we are all still learning daily on these cars....just another day in the office!

-Jack
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BoostCrzy
you are most likely correct!....lol...we are all still learning daily on these cars....just another day in the office!

-Jack
Did you enable Mode23 on the rom? You might have misstyped or had a wrong def. That will brick it quick like.

- Bryan