Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

FP Red tuning issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FP Red tuning issues

I installed FP Red and switched to E-85 with DW1300 and went to get tuned yesterday and after a few pulls we could not get car to break 300whp when the car came in tuned previously by him and made 300whp. We stared at 21 psi and went to 25psi and car never made any additional power, in some cases it lost power. We did boost leak test and it helb up to 30psi so im not thinking thats an issue. Now I know these X tunes have a lot of stuff to adjust and losts of variables and this tuner is mostly a subaru tuner.

So is there anything that we may be missing?

Could it be the maf issues out there?

Any other guru tuners up in Northern California?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Last edited by JoeA; Oct 21, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you getting a check engine light?

The MAF is good for mare than 300 so I say no on the maf.

What were your AFRs?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

No check engine light and he did a few different pulls with AFRs from the 11s to the 12s I think.

Im going to do compression check next to juist be sure. He keeps going back to the turbo being the problem but am not looking forward to taking off the turbo again.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:28 PM
Account Disabled

I'd probably take my Mitsubishi to a Mitsubishi tuner, but that's just silly ol' me.

- bryan
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:30 PM

I just saw that you are on e85, not sure what afrs should be.

The turbo should be fine unless it is making bad noises like metal on metal sounds, otherwise should be fine.

Even with stock mivec and timing tables you should be at more than that. Maybe your timing is too retarded.

Put in your stock injectors (takes 30 mins) re flash your stock map and go to a diff tuner. This guys sounds like bad news.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

He tuned my car the first time and I have never really had any issues with it and it has always made good power. He has tuned Evos before and I really dont want to try another tuner but if I cant figure something out I may have to. Is there any good Evo tuners in Northern California?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JoeA
He tuned my car the first time and I have never really had any issues with it and it has always made good power. He has tuned Evos before and I really dont want to try another tuner but if I cant figure something out I may have to. Is there any good Evo tuners in Northern California?
GST, HBspeed, etc...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any good Evo tuners in Northern California?
This guy:

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
- bryan
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
GST, HBspeed, etc...
HBSpeed is in Southern California--OP is about 7 hours north of them.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Called GST and they don't know when or if Bryan will be back lol, but I did send him a pm. HB is now Cobb I believe and dont think they are back open yet, or at least I couldn't find a phone number.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I installed FP Red and switched to E-85 with DW1300 and went to get tuned yesterday and after a few pulls we could not get car to break 300whp when the car came in tuned previously by him and made 300whp. We stared at 21 psi and went to 25psi and car never made any additional power, in some cases it lost power. We did boost leak test and it helb up to 30psi so im not thinking thats an issue. Now I know these X tunes have a lot of stuff to adjust and losts of variables and this tuner is mostly a subaru tuner.

So is there anything that we may be missing?

Could it be the maf issues out there?

Any other guru tuners up in Northern California?

Any help would be great

Thanks
E85, Red, and adequate injectors.

Any other mods? Tuner should have have been able conclude why the car isn't making power.

You state the 4 psi boost increase added no gain even a loss in power. Do you have copys of your maps and logs?? Did load increase with added boost

Boost leak test as you said showed no leaks. Is the car pulling timing during the pull, The AFR's spot on through the pull??
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:45 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would assume the tuner would understand this, but are the target load tables set appropriately or is the boost just falling right back to the same level?

You should still make more power with the added timing....
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

qsrboi80-car is catless with AMS intake and TBE. We did do a boost leak test to 30psi. Ill try and get copies of my logs and maps and see what is going on.
Red Dragons!!

fostytou-I would assume he knows this also it just seems weird we cant get the car to make power, he thinks its the turbo but I just dont see it being that.

Thanks for input
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:37 PM

qsrboi80-car is catless with AMS intake and TBE. We did do a boost leak test to 30psi. Ill try and get copies of my logs and maps and see what is going on.
Red Dragons!!

fostytou-I would assume he knows this also it just seems weird we cant get the car to make power, he thinks its the turbo but I just dont see it being that.

Thanks for input
some suggestions of things I would look at that could have possibly been overlooked:

Is the stock boost pill still in the system?

is the wastegate that came with the red operating properly?

If everything's hooked up right and operating correctly and you're not leaking any boost, it's probably as gsrboi says and you're timing is getting pulled.

The fact that your "tuner" is just looking at this and saying "dunno man " seems pretty shady to me. I may be wrong and it could be some off the wall problem, but chances are your tuner's just not up to par. I would at least take it somewhere reputable for a second opinion before you take this much further.
I would assume he knows this also it just seems weird we cant get the car to make power, he thinks its the turbo but I just dont see it being that.
You would know if it were a bad turbo by now. you've already done a leak test and if there were anything broken in the turbo, you'd definitely hear it.

Last edited by jojobanks; Oct 22, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Call Jay at Boosted Tuning. He's in Chico. Had my IX tuned by him and he does a great job. You really need somebody that knows your car specifically when it comes to tuning the stock ecu. Check out his website

Quick Reply: FP Red tuning issues