Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Anyone try this --> Bt OBDII Android scanner/monitor

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumperalex
I'm pretty sure many phones can handle more than one bluetooth connection ... maybe some sort of serial to bluetooth adaptor? For those of us not wanting to muck about with the rear 02 port.
You think something like this would work?
http://www.centralcomputers.com/comm...oduct_id=72962

I really don't want to do the rear O2 logging with ECU.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yorT
You think something like this would work?
http://www.centralcomputers.com/comm...oduct_id=72962

I really don't want to do the rear O2 logging with ECU.
Well I think that thing would have to be plugged into a serial-usb adapter since that is what most o2 sensors output right? Working under the assumption that we are able to convert serial to USB, I can't see why, in theory, we should have a problem with a follow-on USB-Bluetooth connection. But theory is one thing and we already know there are serial to USB adapters that don't work [shrug] It would be up to Hamish et al to actually implement it.

Hopefully they will consider it now that the community, or at least you and I, have spoken
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Well I think that thing would have to be plugged into a serial-usb adapter since that is what most o2 sensors output right? Working under the assumption that we are able to convert serial to USB, I can't see why, in theory, we should have a problem with a follow-on USB-Bluetooth connection. But theory is one thing and we already know there are serial to USB adapters that don't work [shrug] It would be up to Hamish et al to actually implement it.

Hopefully they will consider it now that the community, or at least you and I, have spoken
The only reason I say usb is because I have the x-wifi. It uses usb to computer for logging. Can't monitor AFR with android phone with the x-wifi because you can't connect to adhoc networks with the droid.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

The only reason I say usb is because I have the x-wifi. It uses usb to computer for logging. Can't monitor AFR with android phone with the x-wifi because you can't connect to adhoc networks with the droid.
Sounds like you need to get your hands on a nice cheap small wifi AP, like this (http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G73.../dp/B0002Z45DQ). Power required is 5v/1.2 amps. There are plenty of 12v adaptors floating around that fit that. Heck I have a few in my spare parts box ;-)

Mount it under the seat or in the glove box and you're good to go. At least I think that should work right? Not sure how the x-wifi does its thing.

Or root your phone and so you can enable adhocs http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754961

Last edited by Jumperalex; Jan 10, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:49 PM

So will this work with any Droid? Also, I have a 03 Evo so I'm not sure if its possible to get this set up?

Cheers!
-J
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by xjtwo
So will this work with any Droid? Also, I have a 03 Evo so I'm not sure if its possible to get this set up?

Cheers!
-J
Sorry not trying to get boost my post count but I am very interested in this.....
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Which Blue tooth dongle do you use?
This one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIREL...#ht_4134wt_798

Or just do an ebay search for BLUETOOTH OBD2
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you need to get your hands on a nice cheap small wifi AP, like this (http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G73.../dp/B0002Z45DQ). Power required is 5v/1.2 amps. There are plenty of 12v adaptors floating around that fit that. Heck I have a few in my spare parts box ;-)

Mount it under the seat or in the glove box and you're good to go. At least I think that should work right? Not sure how the x-wifi does its thing.

Or root your phone and so you can enable adhocs http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754961
Sweet, i've been rooted and haven't been able to get some of the adhoc fixes to work. I haven't seen this one so I"ll give it a try. Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah the more I read the more it looked like adhoc fixes were hit or miss. Though I didn't dig too deep into alternate ROMs that might solve the problem. I'm on Virtuous myself. As it is I'm getting ready to start experimenting with other ROMs for their Bluetooth Stacks because I really want A2DP to work with my new radio and from what I've heard the stock HTC INC stack isn't very good. So far though, with the Virtuous BT Stack I have had decent connectivity with the OBD2 BT dongle (cheapie from ebay). Maybe I'll get lucky and the Virtuous BT stack will work well with my new Pioneer [shrug].
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see coolant temp, but does oil temp and oil pressure come up on this torque program?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:09 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmm, I'm getting perfect connectivity with my new Evoscan4Android software using my BTStack on numerous Android devices to many bluetooth adapters. It auto prompts for pairing, and it auto prompts for the pin #. I'm just building the gauge display system, so that the gauge templates can be reused across the different evoscan platforms. None of my android devices are rooted, you can use bluetooth out of the box with android, which is sweet.. not like iPad, has to be jailbreaked to run Bluetooth. I hate ipad still I need a way to take screenshots on android... any ideas?

Last edited by evoscan; Jan 25, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evoscan
still I need a way to take screenshots on android... any ideas?
Run your app in one of the development Android emulators on your computer.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

acidtonic hit the nail on the head. Emulators are how most devs take screen shots.

So just to be clear, before I get too happy in my pants, you are telling us that you now have evoscan running on an android and connecting easily to various OBD2-BT adaptors?

Now for the key bit: What about Mode23?

Because while I have no doubt evoscan4droid will be sweet and probably better than Torque, the fact is I have torque and it works, but it does not log everything we need and as best I can tell seems to have a boost ceiling of 22-ish psi
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

acidtonic hit the nail on the head. Emulators are how most devs take screen shots.

So just to be clear, before I get too happy in my pants, you are telling us that you now have evoscan running on an android and connecting easily to various OBD2-BT adaptors?

Now for the key bit: What about Mode23?

Because while I have no doubt evoscan4droid will be sweet and probably better than Torque, the fact is I have torque and it works, but it does not log everything we need and as best I can tell seems to have a boost ceiling of 22-ish psi
Yeah same here. Boost tops out at 22.3 psi which I know the evo x is running more.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:27 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
emulators can't connect via bluetooth though?

I am going to connect to the live android via the SDK, and get some screenshots for you guys that way.

JumperAlex, you have already mode23 on your evoscan gpsnav perm installed plugging in your phone everytime you get in and out of the car.. I really don't see it happening

Quick Reply: Anyone try this --> Bt OBDII Android scanner/monitor