Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How to make foglights stay ON with highbeams ???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
rally light kit= separate switch.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that for a rally light kit, a separate switch is probably the best way to go. However, TractionLimit removed the stock fog lights a while back, so using the stock fog light switch and control circuit makes for a really clean install - no cutting or drilling the dash. In fact, the control wiring I put together for the light bar requires absolutely no cutting/stripping of factory wiring so this kit can be very cleanly removed.

Also, there are a lot of people out there that would like their fogs to stay on with the high beams. On my VIII, I just moved the stock relay control wire to run off the parking lights instead of the ETAS-ECU. That allows them to be on w/o the headlights (which is actually a good thing in heavy fog), but prevents being able to run the headlights w/o the fogs.
I think there is a lot of value in being able to control the stock fog lights from inside the car using the stock switch, but have them stay on with the high beams. I hope the circuit I designed will test out well because it will work on other vehicles too (such as my Trailblazer ).
Old Mar 1, 2011, 08:42 AM

hey Midnite, any progress on this? Wondering how your bypass circuit is going.
I'm working on a bixenon retrofit, and I like keeping my fogs on, but want the option to turn them off.
I have HIDs in my fogs and I read flicking them on and off is terrible for HIDs, so I don't want to blow them while flashing some dude for driving with his high beams on or signalling to someone to go ahead at an intersection. Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by gotrnet
read through this, https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ht-switch.html , I had the same question. i figured out how to tap into the wire harness and install a switch so you can turn them on ANY time you want. you may have to read though the whole thing since there is info spread out throughout the thread. been a while since i have done it but if you have any questions just let me know. good luck.
I added a self illuminated switch and relay to override the default fog light behavior, using a variant of the method gotrnet figured out. If the switch is on, the fogs turn on with the headlights. The fogs also stay on when the high beams are switched on, but automatically turn off if the headlights are off, or the car is turned off. The setup looks something like this image:

However I'm supplying power to the switch/relay from the standard 12v dimmer, and then just running the ground gotrnet points out between pins 87 and 30 on the relay.
Attached Thumbnails How to make foglights stay ON with highbeams ???-foglights_relay.jpg  
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:47 AM

Bump any clear way of doing this?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
read over this thread,https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ht-switch.html, and read over this pdf, http://webpages.charter.net/gotrnet/...glight_mod.pdf. it is very simple but does require you to do some wiring. it will allow you to turn on your fog lights anytime you want.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:27 AM

This can be done. Just had a friend do this for me ... no wiring required.
Anyone in the GTA (Toronto) can pm me if they want this done.
I don't know what he used or where exactly he got it, but he has something that connects to the OBDII port and plugs into a computer via usb.
TMPS warnings can be disabled, you can run fogs with one click on the headlight switch (instead of 2, so city lights still come on), and doors auto-lock at 20km/h.