Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

FIC1680s on an Evo 10

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Here is my information for future thread searchers:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ion-patch.html
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:54 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
mrfred, if you can get some pics or info on hardwiring the jumpers maybe we could work with FIC to get this issue resolved...it seems silly!

Originally Posted by tephra
Cool!

and I replied today ?

probably just gmail being a bit laggy!
There was a bad calmav definition that came out today, pretty sure half the world was affected!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
mrfred, if you can get some pics or info on hardwiring the jumpers maybe we could work with FIC to get this issue resolved...it seems silly!
I spoke about it with Jens when we were experiencing the injector misfires, and the problem is that there is only one mass-produced adapter plug available that mates with the Denso style plug on the factory harness. He said that they haven't had any problems using this adapter plug on other vehicles (e.g., Nissan), so I can only surmise that there is something a little different about the way Mitsu designed their plug on the harness because its super easy to break the connection. Just need to flex the connection slightly in one direction and the plugs disconnect from each other.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
didn't think i was being too hard on them with my comment. perhaps a more biting comment is that i can't help but ponder what other features of yours they may copy (as they'll need to if they want to have any chance of staying in the evo 10 game).

If they are copying Teprha's stuff, you would think the decent thing to do would be to send him a donation. A big company like Cobb could toss him a little cash.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
however, they need to get ahead of the curve rather than lag behind open source if they want to stay in the game.
I have a feeling they have finally given in to just copying features to stay "up to date".

It seems that the AP features update pretty quickly now after this community and the key people in particular find/create something new with the ECU.

If you can't beat them, join them?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

I spoke about it with Jens when we were experiencing the injector misfires, and the problem is that there is only one mass-produced adapter plug available that mates with the Denso style plug on the factory harness. He said that they haven't had any problems using this adapter plug on other vehicles (e.g., Nissan), so I can only surmise that there is something a little different about the way Mitsu designed their plug on the harness because its super easy to break the connection. Just need to flex the connection slightly in one direction and the plugs disconnect from each other.
I originally had issues with the P&P adapters that came with ID1000's. They since updated and I have had *zero* issues with them on my ID1000's.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the issue was mechanical and nothing to do with the AP, right? Why the gratuitous vendor bashing?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by lowkey
So the issue was mechanical and nothing to do with the AP, right? Why the gratuitous vendor bashing?

I don't think anyone is/was linking the "issue" with the AP.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:04 PM
EvoM Moderator

Gah that is crazy! Any chance just zip tying the plugs together would help solve this? Or would that make it worse...
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
Gah that is crazy! Any chance just zip tying the plugs together would help solve this? Or would that make it worse...
A ziptie compressing the two plugs together would hold them together tightly. Pretty good idea, but don't know if it would stop the injector misfires. Are you gonna be the guinea pig?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:17 PM
EvoM Moderator

I'm a few months out on getting some. But yea, I certainly can be if no one else gets these injectors by then :P
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:20 PM
EvoM Guru

mrfred, your issue sounds like the issue the ID's used to have. With the "updated" P&P adapters they work flawlessly.

I wonder if FIC still uses the old style?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

I wanted to make sure FIC was given credit for the great customer service they gave me once a problem or 2 was discovered. I made a phone call to them to discuss a issue with the fuel rail spacers supplied with the injectors and Yens? called me directly back and realised a change had to be made and overnighted new spacers. Then when we had issues with the plug and play adapters he was just as quick to send me some new pig tails so i could hard wire the injectors in. I think i am the first evo 10 running these and Yens was quick to call me back and help me work through the issues. And as a bonus he compensated me for the time and trouble i went through. I know i am sold on the FIC service and will do buisness with them again.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Personally after the issues with the adapters there is know way i would use the adapters even if they were the perfect fit im a big believer in the kISS method. I think it took about 45 minutes to sodder the wires in and was well worth my peace of mind, sodder is cheap motors are expensive.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:23 PM
EvoM Moderator

^thanks! Keep us updated on any start, idle, low-speed nuances these injectors now that you have the clip issue sorted.

Originally Posted by razorlab
mrfred, your issue sounds like the issue the ID's used to have. With the "updated" P&P adapters they work flawlessly.

I wonder if FIC still uses the old style?
Good info! Is there a good way to know the good/new adapters vs the old ones?

Quick Reply: FIC1680s on an Evo 10