Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

weird ****wittery with AFR and idle

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not throwing any O2 codes? I'd figure you get a lean code if you're running that high... sure the sensor is OK?

I was having some similar crappy idle with high AFRS (17-18s) and extremely unstable timing.. If I applied throttle it would try to die, then suddenly it would run perfectly fine, I'd let go and it would calm down, then go back to horrible idle. I threw some front O2 codes a few times.. ended up checking the sensor and unplugging/plugging back in a few times during the ordeal. Codes gone, and idle is solid again..
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
No CEL's.

The lean code hasn't come up because the trims have maxed out (because on the ID2000's we run openloop idle)

We swapped in DW1300's and the same problem exists, so I threw a lot more fuel at it and it seems better.

I am waiting for some feedback on the new ROM I sent him, so we shall see.

It's weird that all of a sudden the car needs heaps more fuel.... I doubt a head change would have that affect.

I still think its something else, but I will explore the fuel a bit more first...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:28 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a really strange problem on my car when I got it back together, and it was all due to a bad ground. On my car it was the one that goes around and bolts just under the starter. I had bolted it in above the starter to a spot that had poor connectivity.

Look through the manual and triple check all grounds. You tried a different set of injectors so maybe that is not suspect, but perhaps a set of stock injectors? What fuel pump is in this car, check that?

I had good luck getting my car to idle w/ the bad ground still in place by unplugging the MAF. It wasn't a long-term fix but in the end it did help get the car running at least.