Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Gas saving map?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas saving map?

Hi,
I was wondering how much will my MPG improve if i ask my tuner to tune a "gas saving map" for street use? will this "map" do better than stock map or is this even doable?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love67
Hi,
I was wondering how much will my MPG improve if i ask my tuner to tune a "gas saving map" for street use? will this "map" do better than stock map or is this even doable?
Well, it is possible via timing/MIVEC/WGDC changes, but do not expect miracles, 5-10% saving is possible.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

You'd probably be better off to drive slower and shift earlier.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

There's a cruise mod by Hiboost that I've used for over a year now. Just search for the thread. I probably saved 2-3 mpg on highway cruising.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wrex1977
You'd probably be better off to drive slower and shift earlier.
im driving slow and shift so early already...but because my tune the MPG went soo low...
just wondering what is the MPG r u guy able to get? i only have 16-17 MPG with freeway....
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Hi,
there is such a thing as a gas saving map or transit map in rally, but you need a proper ecu for that , so you can switch between maps. Actually there is 3 different map rally guys using. Race - test - transit/gas savings

Probably you will able to do that with Cobb., not as simple as the rally cars but still.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
there is such a thing as a gas saving map or transit map in rally, but you need a proper ecu for that , so you can switch between maps. Actually there is 3 different map rally guys using. Race - test - transit/gas savings
You can switch maps with the stock OEM ECU while the car is running, so owners already have a "proper" Ecu.

Last edited by razorlab; Apr 15, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

im driving slow and shift so early already...but because my tune the MPG went soo low...
just wondering what is the MPG r u guy able to get? i only have 16-17 MPG with freeway....
Then something is terribly wrong. Are you running in open loop all the time?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:34 PM
JEP
Evolving Member

16 to 18 is all I get also...
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JEP
16 to 18 is all I get also...
I get that around town but definitly better on the highway. And my data is from hand figuring it not by the dash display.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
You can switch maps with the stock OEM ECU while the car is running, so owners already have a "proper" Ecu.
Why nobody tunes two maps for the evo then, like one for race and one for DD?
I think that would be something people would pay extra money. For many reasons, besides the gas savings.
I am around Evo tuners and so, at least in the states 8 years now, and i never heard of this on OEM ECU. But at least i know now, this is possible too
It is an awesome thing to have two maps, does anyone have that type a tune currently?
How do you switch maps, with a button like the other ECU's do, the cruise control switch or similar?

thanks for the info .
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

^^ Evo X has that...
"EVO X Dyno Tuning for Dual Maps.

Your stock GSR ECU can be programmed to store two maps that you can switch between at will. This feature can also be used as a fail safe for water/methanol injection systems. The maps are switched using the cruise control switch. The cruise control still continues to work normally." copied from road race Engineering...
I already e-mailed my tuner(from road race engineering), now just waiting for his reply and see how much better could it work...because now the gas price is really killing me...im about 3-4 days per tank...
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

I easily get around 18-19 in the city and 24-25 on the freeway. The key is not only to shift early, but let the car decelerate on its own without mashing the brake pedal a lot. Just get a normal tune and you'll see a bump in the fuel economy since stock X runs super rich.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

just need the tuner to lean afr's out a bit while not in boost and when the car enters boost it would richen up. i had a map on my miata that made 250whp and still netted me 30+mpg my best rating was 36mpg, but it was rwd and only 2300lbs so its not an apples:apples comparison, but still it can be done, maybe not 30mpg, but upper 20's sure.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

^^ Evo X has that...
"EVO X Dyno Tuning for Dual Maps.

Your stock GSR ECU can be programmed to store two maps that you can switch between at will. This feature can also be used as a fail safe for water/methanol injection systems. The maps are switched using the cruise control switch. The cruise control still continues to work normally." copied from road race Engineering...
I already e-mailed my tuner(from road race engineering), now just waiting for his reply and see how much better could it work...because now the gas price is really killing me...im about 3-4 days per tank...
I have 29 mpg evo X maps ;-p

Quick Reply: Gas saving map?