Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

AEM wideband and Evoscan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM wideband and Evoscan

Have an AEM wideband. The guage functions correctly in the car but cannot make Evoscan recognize the wideband. Have a serial female-femaile converter and a serila to USB cable with the blue wire in the #2 slot and a ground (from the same gound point as the guage) in the #5 slot. Have gone through the wideband drop down on Evoscan, selected the AEM unit and found and selected the correct port.

Evoscan reads 0s all the time. Interestingly, if I select the LC1 wideband, it reads the first reading it sees when it initiates and that is it.

Any ideas? Unit bought new and installeled with help from someone else who has installed several before...like I said, the guage appears to read correctly.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:27 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
you have PM
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoscan
you have PM
Thank you,

PM replied.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:19 PM

What was the answer? I can't get mine to log either. Wired into serial connector correctly, checked COM port and checked off aem eugo in evoscan. It just reads 10 all the way down. Gauge reads fine.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Never got an answer. I emailed and pmed but never heard back.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:45 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is the "AEM Wideband" item that you selected pointing to "WDB" for the address request?

Can you log the wideband in hyperterminal like the AEM directions tell you to?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:55 AM

Yeah I'd like some info on this too. I'm having trouble logging with an AEM wideband. I can use the application on their site and get everything in lambda but of course, there is no correlation with RPM so it's kinda useless.

Be nice if evoscan would finally pick this one up.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does using hyperterminal work when using usb to serial or is that only for the serial port direct?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:13 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Does using hyperterminal work when using usb to serial or is that only for the serial port direct?
USB to serial creates a serial port - yes it works.

Also, you guys may not have seen but it has been posted a bunch - when using a usb to serial adapter your com port will usually change if you plug it into a different USB port. Make sure you are always using the same port and double check what comes up in device manager to what is selected in your program.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
Is the "AEM Wideband" item that you selected pointing to "WDB" for the address request?
Can you log the wideband in hyperterminal like the AEM directions tell you to?
What do you mean by this?

I have selected AEM widband on the WDB dropdown minu, selected the correct port and varified it on the device manager. I use the same one everytime but still check that the port has not changed. The only AEM option is highlighted and has a dot next to it on the drop down.

BTW, why the hell does AEM not just make the F'n cable that we need instead of having us scower the internet looking for the right cable and adpater so we have to then make a ghetto cable to hook the thing together. Just make the stupid thing, charge us $20 bucks and be done with it.

Last edited by jimm; Jun 28, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:20 PM

I *think* he is saying to edit the request ID to say "WDB" under edit data settings for the "WB02" reference? I will check later and come back with an update.

Is there anything else that needs editing here? What about Eval? Mine says "10.00+(16.99-10.00)*x/255" Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:47 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by jimm
What do you mean by this?

I have selected AEM widband on the WDB dropdown minu, selected the correct port and varified it on the device manager. I use the same one everytime but still check that the port has not changed. The only AEM option is highlighted and has a dot next to it on the drop down.

BTW, why the hell does AEM not just make the F'n cable that we need instead of having us scower the internet looking for the right cable and adpater so we have to then make a ghetto cable to hook the thing together. Just make the stupid thing, charge us $20 bucks and be done with it.
1) The item you select to log should say "WDB" in the Request column and the display item should be "External Wideband A/F Ratio" with a function of "x". If you are logging something else you are logging the wrong thing (IE if the request has an address or something like "2F" it is a MUT request and you selected the wrong item.

2) Because serial communications are extremely easy, cheap, and reliable when done correctly. Also, this wideband has been around for a long time and up until a couple of years ago every laptop still had a serial port. If you can stream from hyperterminal it isn't AEM's fault. They make this device as a general application - not for evoscan.

For the record, I've had 0 issues with any of the 3 AEM widebands I've had since day 1.

Originally Posted by eb66
I *think* he is saying to edit the request ID to say "WDB" under edit data settings for the "WB02" reference? I will check later and come back with an update.

Is there anything else that needs editing here? What about Eval? Mine says "10.00+(16.99-10.00)*x/255" Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.
Thanks, see above.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

1) The item you select to log should say "WDB" in the Request column and the display item should be "External Wideband A/F Ratio" with a function of "x". If you are logging something else you are logging the wrong thing (IE if the request has an address or something like "2F" it is a MUT request and you selected the wrong item.

2) Because serial communications are extremely easy, cheap, and reliable when done correctly. Also, this wideband has been around for a long time and up until a couple of years ago every laptop still had a serial port. If you can stream from hyperterminal it isn't AEM's fault. They make this device as a general application - not for evoscan.
1) I can see the external wideband a/f option (checked to be logged) but do not see the numbers change...always reads either 0 or 14.7.

2) my rant was not directed at you. If you do a google search, you will see that I am far from the only person that have had issues. could be that the serial port/cable/communications is now anachronistic and newer operating systems have issues with it (using windows 7).

I actually spoke with AEM. They are suprisingly behind a little. For example, they did not realize that evoscan could give you live data synced with the wideband.

IMO, you make things easy for your customers while charging them for the service. $200 for the guage and then another 20-25 for the cable to log to whatever if you dont' want use the 0-5 white wire spliced into the ECU harness and replace the rear O2 sensor (my next option). Really, If I ran their company, I would have it as plug and play as possible. It is why computers never took off until the more intuative windows based (both mac and PC) operating systems took off. A competing company could easliy take market share by making this more enduser friendly. Make them in bulk...even if you sold them at cost, if you move more of the primary units, you boost buisness while taking it away from your competition. Win win.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Just an FYI I noticed this posted in another thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...o-problem.html

-------
I didn't take it as directed at me

I wouldn't be surprised if a bulk of their business is people building older cars using megasquirt and/or older laptops. You really don't need something fancy for logging.

For me - I installed, checked that it was loggable in hyperterminal, selected the appropriate options in Evoscan and it worked. My only hiccup was the different USB port thing, but I figured that out without even questioning it and I wouldn't say thats a "problem" for anyone (possibly microsoft or keyspan, but it probably happens that way for a reason).

I see random problems come up alot for the AEM wideband, but its nearly always a "didn't read the manual" problem and you can't possibly predict all of people's problems with strange software that you have no control over or reason to use. I'm surprised they don't recommend a specific manufacturer's serial->USB, but I think they may have gotten enough questions that it wasn't "worth it" for them because (I think) they came out with a newer analog wideband that isn't loggable.

For the record - I see nearly as many software questions for the LC-1 (though their support forum helps a ton) and stories / personal experience of much worse reliability.

Frankly - I'm surprised that they even know what Evoscan is. It isn't their software and it is for a niche market. I'd call that way ahead of the curve personally.

All that said: if you can make a better product then do it!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

I have not messed with changing the bd rate....mainly because now I cannot get it to be recognize in hyperterminal. It is either a cable issue or some thing wrong with the guage...dont' know. Pretty frustrated as I have done everything as outlined even when talking to AEM directly.

The tech that I talked to at AEM probably is around these forums. He has a DSM but uses something else for tunning. According to him, they assume most people will just use replace the rear 02 with the AEM one and splice into the ECU cable...and he also assumes most use software that will not log the wideband with enough fidelity to be helpful. Both incorrect although I am growing tired enough of screwing with the stupid thing I may just splice it in. I have litterally been trying for a month to get this stupid thing to work.

Quick Reply: AEM wideband and Evoscan