Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Having something weird going on

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having something weird going on

I have a 3 inch turbo back exhaust with a invidia down pipe and high flow cat with a CNT cat back exhaust system, I have a Aem cold air intake, Ultimate Racing upper intercooler piping and the Cobb AP programmer. I've ran stage 2 Aem on 93 octane and it ran good for a week or so and then started acting up almost like a bad gas issue that would cause the car to stutter around and act very weird and almost felt like it wasn't as quick. I know its not bad gas though because I've ran about 8 tanks through it since it started acting up and its still doing it. Heres the real weird part, I decided to go back to stage 1 Aem on 93 octane and it still does it but not quite as bad at times. Seems to be a little smoother and honestly feels like it has more power on stage 1 over stage 2 which has me really confused right now? It recently threw a check engine light of P2079 and I can't figure out what the code is. I thought my programmer told me what the codes were but not for this one. I've tried to reset it with my programmer to see if it will show back up but I can't get it to go away??I can't find the code when I look it up online either.Is anyone else experiencing anything like this or have any pointers on where to start or what to check??

Check list so far:
I was using a Blue fuel relay and I've tried green and black too and still experiencing the problem.
I've checked the hose by the dip stick on the front of the motor that people say tends to come loose but its still on.
Anything else I should look at or check over??

HELP!! Thanks in advance!!!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

aem intakes have a tendancy to have the wastegate return hoses kink or fall out.

Check those first
Then check for boost leaks
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:32 PM

Hoses all seem to be intact for wastegate. I can't say for sure that its not leaking off when I boost but Im 95% sure I'm not. It still seems to be boosting up like it did before I experienced the stutters and CEL.

Does anyone have a clue what the CEL is for? My AP isn't giving me a description for it???
If I knew what it was for, it might point me in a better direction...hopefully?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:44 PM

I did just get the code to clear but I wont be able to take it out for a drive to see if it comes back till tomorrow.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:32 PM

Does anyone else have any more pointers for me on things to check or look over?

Btw- if I ran a log and posted it, would there be any way to maybe notice what it might be by that?

Also, I know its running rich but that shouldn't be making it stutter at times should it?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On some (if not most) cars, P2079 is for richness, but on a Mitsu it can be the intake timing.

http://www.permoveo.ltd.uk/tabid/122...i/Default.aspx

Could you have jumped a tooth?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:29 PM

I wouldn't think so. I have never messed with the timing what so ever. The only things I have done are just bolt on stuff like TBE, CAI, UIC piping, and the Cobb AP on stage 1 and Stage 2 so far.

The day that I got that code I was out on the interstate/freeway and probably ran a average speed between 70-100mph for about a 1:45-2hr trip and when I stopped at the mall and the fan stayed on while I went inside. When I got back about 30 minutes later the fan wasn't running anymore and I started the car and within the first mile I got that code. I got the code to clear and it hasn't came back up yet but I haven't really ran it hard since then. It is still doing the stutter at normal driving if I'm kind of lugging around a little then when I go to let off and then get back into it it will stutter or like hesitate then take off.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Please don't be insulted by this question: have you zip-tied or clamped the hose that connects the intake to the fuel-pressure regulator?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:30 PM

Not insulted what so ever. Any info or advice that you have is greatly appreciated. I don't have hose clamps or zip ties on either side of the hose but its on both the fpr and intake nice and snug. I can pull on either end pretty hard and it doesn't even want to come off. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to put a zip tie or clamp on both ends though, right? Its never came off on me before but thats not saying it won't in the future.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Then we move on to obvious answer #2: boost leak?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 05:08 PM

I can't say for sure but I'm almost positive that I don't have any leaks. I went over all my cuplers on my intercooler piping and it all seems to be as tight as I can get them and I read some where that hair spray is good to help seal them off so thats what I used. Is there a good way to pin point a leak without taking it to a shop?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 05:31 PM

I just watched a couple different video's on youtube for doing a leak test at home and I will have to get the right tools needed to do it correctly. I'm gonna get everything needed just to check it to be 100% sure but like I said I don't think Im leaking. Doesn't hurt to check though.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:32 PM

Another thing that makes me feel that its something other than a boost leak is that its doing it when Im not even boosting. I was at -8 on my programmer last night just barely going in first gear and it was doing it. I'm starting to think that its just running so rich that its making it run like that. I might run a data log and post it on here or Cobb's forum to see if they can determine that it being to rich might be the cause.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Here's another silly test. In case you have a bad wheel-speed sensor, turn off the ASC for a while. You could be having false-alarm throttle-cut.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 07:40 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by WoodsRacer349
I was at -8 on my programmer last night just barely going in first gear and it was doing it..
A boost leak is also a vacuum leak.