Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Air filter shield to fix unstable idle on Evo 10s

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh gotcha, thanks. Makes more sense now.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is strange. I wonder if it's not actually turbulent air caused by an open intake tube causing it. I came from a MS3 and the stock intake had fins in it to stabilize the air for the MAF (air-straightener). Replacing the intake that did not have a similar "fin" insert caused very similar symptoms. Even the original Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake option from the dealer was recalled and eventually replaced with one that had an air-straightener.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by eg6motion
this is strange. I wonder if it's not actually turbulent air caused by an open intake tube causing it. I came from a MS3 and the stock intake had fins in it to stabilize the air for the MAF (air-straightener). Replacing the intake that did not have a similar "fin" insert caused very similar symptoms. Even the original Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake option from the dealer was recalled and eventually replaced with one that had an air-straightener.
Yes, that could be the reason.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:15 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the general consensus is that changing the tube at the air meter changes both the velocity of the air (temporarily forcing air through a smaller bell shaped area will speed it up briefly) but more importantly that the air is expected to be organized and pressurized in a certain area. In the case of a Karman Vortex MAF like the old evos / DSMs you are actually measuring that turbulence... so having the air flow straight is important.

In the evo X you may wind up with a higher pressure zone on the outside of the tube and lower pressure on the inside (or vice versa) and the airflow over the wire is then a miscalculation of the total air passing through the tube (since the more dense air could cool the wire more or *possibly* throw off a baro sensor).
Old Jul 30, 2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great info. I have been having similar idle issues, and have a cone filter setup. Will look into getting a box for it and hope this corrects the issue.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by spooln3
This is great info. I have been having similar idle issues, and have a cone filter setup. Will look into getting a box for it and hope this corrects the issue.
Its easy to test - just stick a piece of cardboard between the filter and the radiator fans.