Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

bucking problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bucking problem

i installed an aem intake, burcher 3" catback, and running cobb AC stage 2 + aem intake + turbo back + 93 octane tune.

since this im experiencing hard bucking when im at wide open throttle. and one of the times it caused the ACS to malfunction and shut off. i stopped the car and ran the diagnostics and no code came up. then started the car back up and ACS was working fine.

ive data logged the car but dont know where to go from here. i cant view the data log. can anyone help please.

the bucking is quite scary.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Fuel Issue
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:56 PM

that was a thought i had too. i havent replaced the black fuel fuel pressure to green yet. do you think i should do that first?

max boost is at 27psi but the tune says its supposed to be 25.5
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I would just run over the whole fuel system and go from there.......but when you have bucking like that its a fuel issue.....anything from a/f tune to injector problems
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:47 PM

It appears to be the tune. Today I went on cobb's site again and downloaded the (stage 2+AEM 93 LWG) tune.

I had a feeling too much boost was being made, then I remembered seeing the LWG version. gave it a try and the powerband is nice and even all the way to 7k. before the violent bucking began around 5k and didnt stop until i got off the gas.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
So you're using the Stage 2 tune when your car only qualifies for Stage 1 (catback, not turboback), yet you're unable to view your logs to make sure it's running safely? Sounds smart.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:12 PM

im aware of the dangers which is why i posted the problem. thanks for the "help"...ive been tuning cars for a long time and ive been around tuner forums just as long. as a matter of fact ive been a moderator and had an uber count post too. some reason id expect to hear something helpful from someone with your "knowledge"...Kracka. thanks anyways...its so nice to feel welcomed in this community.

i used the LWG tune and everythings fine for now. im going to go to a local cobb dealer/awd dyno to have it custom tuned.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:46 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SPYKE-ZEE
im aware of the dangers which is why i posted the problem. thanks for the "help"...ive been tuning cars for a long time and ive been around tuner forums just as long. as a matter of fact ive been a moderator and had an uber count post too. some reason id expect to hear something helpful from someone with your "knowledge"...Kracka. thanks anyways...its so nice to feel welcomed in this community.

i used the LWG tune and everythings fine for now. im going to go to a local cobb dealer/awd dyno to have it custom tuned.
If it was just breaking up or bucking a little you were probably running too rich / not getting full combustion.

Anything else more significant (and based off your ASC comment) and you were probably overrunning the airflow or torque limit tables or hit the 30psi factory boost ceiling.

In any case, in regards to your comment toward Kracka... I would take his advice to heart. No offense meant here, but your question is a bit noobish. If you are as familiar with tuning as you say you are I'd think you would know the root problem *and* the solution already. The description you posted is pretty common to turbo cars and the ASC warning is a frequently asked question around here. I would also expect that someone who understood those dangers wouldn't stay in it once it started breaking up and would find that solution before making it happen again.

...then again, we all make mistakes, but it can't hurt to take advice whether it is delivered with a bit of salt or not.

Welcome aboard! We're friendly, we promise
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Experienced "tuners" also know how to log cars...just sayin'

I very happy that you're a superhero on another board and with another type of car, but running a tune not designed for your car, and not being able to monitor it, is a newb mistake and just flat out dangerous. You've obviously been over-boosting which is a quick way to grenade an engine. I'm glad to hear you're taking it in for a protune soon, but in the meantime use a tune that's designed for your car.

Anyway, welcome to the board, everyone here is friendly and incredibly helpful so take any criticism with a grain of salt and have fun
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:50 PM

this is my first official turbo car. im familiar with tuning and software, but im completely new to the evo and its after market parts. the cobb ac seemed like the best choice to begin. the tune i origionaly was using was stage1 93 octane. but after installing the aem intake and catback the only tune i had to opt for was the tune i have now.

the bucking issue is now gone using the LWG tune, but im running way too rich. my bumper and trunk has black spots of unburned fuel. so this isnt working too well eigther. im looking at installing a down pipe pretty soon i just have to pick what i want to mate to the burcher catback. it would make sense to go with the same make but i like the looks of the invidia with highflow. any advice for the rest of the exhaust that needs to be done would be great.

so what now put the pill back in and return to stage1 until i get to the dyno? how is it going to run with the mods and no tune for them?

i plan on building this car up just as much as i have in the past with others. its gonna take a lot of research and help from forums such as this.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:52 AM

i do have datalogs on my laptop of the bucking and how its running now. i do know how to datalog. unfortunately i cant view the files. the tuner that ive been using for years is called SCT XCAL2 im assuming this tuner is similar. meaning that since i didnt buy the "pro package" i wont be able to view the files, and obviously alter the tune.

is there anyone that could take a peak and let me know what the findings are?

i think im gonna steal my autometer A/F gauge and wideband sensor off my other cars build and use it for the evo. once i get my downpipe ill have another bung welded in for the wide band.

does anyone have a link for a quality evo fitted gauge cluster?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Luckily most of the Evo X exhaust components are designed to have "stock fitment" meaning you can mix/match brands to create your ultimate setup. For example, I have a MAP o2 elim downpipe, ETS testpipe, and Cobb catback. I'm personally a fan of testpipes, but if I were in the market for a HFC I'd opt for the Mil.Spec 100-cell since it's a bit more free-flowing than the majority of others on the market since most use 200-cell cats. If you like the Invidia though it should work without issue.

You don't need to buy any extra software or a professional package to view your logs or alter the OTS tunes. I assume you already have Accessport Manager, but you're also going to need AccessTuner Race which is a separate [free] download here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=4214
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:47 PM

thanks. That should help considerably.

do you have a link for the mil.spec 100-cell? id like to have a look at it and price it out.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:52 AM

I found MAP's website. nice.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Burcher Racing? Is that a typo of Buschur Racing? Don't want to upset the Mustached Maniac...

Quick Reply: bucking problem