Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Failed flash fixed my car???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed flash fixed my car???

Hi all!

First off, a big G'day to you all! (and sorry for this long post)

First post here but have been lurking a while and reading up on some very good knowledge, so thanks heaps!

I have a stock standard 08 GSR with SST (in Australia) with the standard 53050006.

The car was going great, had heaps of mid range but the SST was kind of rough and would clunk especially bad when off throttle too abruptly. Anyway, took it to Mitsubishi for a service and instantly felt the SST going much smoother but my mid range torque has gone

Here's the VD graph of two 3rd gear runs that had a hand held stopwatch 0-62 in 5.6sec without launching the car:

Thinking that Mitsubishi had flashed my rom to something newer and more refined in the expense of mid range grunt, I wanted it back and was searching for a fix. I contacted a reputable tuner for an etune, but it didnt get me my mid range back so i was kinda bummed. There was a bit of back and forth with the tuner and some questions were raised about the numbers my stock tune was producing. Wanting to find out more about my standard tune, I opened it up with EcuFlash and went to enable mode 23 along with trying to enable Lean Spool.

Once done, I went to flash this standard map back in. Midway through, ECUFlash had an error writing and stopped - instant thoughts were OMG I've bricked it. Not knowing what to do, I found my untouched back up standard map and flashed that back in, all the while hoping that it wouldnt fail. It flashed fine and there was certainly a sigh of relief. Unplugged the tactrix and tried to start my car...it started but idled like crap. Giving it a bit of gas had no effect and I kept getting the Service Required screen. Turned the car off and on quite a few times and everytime, it wouldnt idle and the car wouldnt respond to any throttle input. Now my thoughts were - OMFG I've killed my car and would get zero warranty because it's been flashed!

Thinking of the worst and how I was going to tow my car to Mitsubishi, I thought about the failed write and maybe it was only able to write half of the information in. I went to validate this and got ECUFlash to read the rom but it confirmed that the second flash with the stock untouched map was certainly the one loaded in. Thinking that all my immediate options were exhausted, I tried to start my car once more. It started, idled fine, and responded to input! Turned it off and on a few more times to make sure it wasnt just a once off, i took it for a spin to make sure it still drove properly. Slowly building up more and more throttle, I now have my mid-range back and a very smooth SST

VD of 3rd gear on my original untouched map (blue graph pull done on slight uphill):

One run of each combined to see the difference (same flat stretch of road to keep things even):

I have absolutely no idea how this would have gotten my mid-range back nor how my SST is still smooth. In the search for my mid range, i have changed the fuel pump relay and reset the ECU multiple times (battery off for 30 mins+ and i think ECUFlash resets ECU when reading from ROM too) and have had no luck. This failed flash is the only thing I can think of along with starting the car multiple times when it still idled badly on the failed write. My questions to you all (that had the patience of reading my whole post ):

1. Any idea why this fixed my car?
2. I'm afraid to flash my tuned rom back in, in case i lose my mid range again. The extra grunt was nice, but this mid range shove is really good too and it's what got me liking the evo. What to do?

Thanks all!
Karl.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
long post...

1) nope
2) I would load your tuned map back on, but without a wideband and not logging the right boost variable your kinda shooting in the dark. Your tuner should be helping you out with this...

If you want to change tuners I can recommend a couple of guys (including myself, but only if you have a WB)
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tephra.
I'll look into getting a WB and get mode 23 enabled to log stuff properly.

I do want more power so i'll be looking for tbe, and a drop in to begin with. Spoke to a guy that's very happy with your etunes so once i'm good to go, i'll probably drop you an email and get things really going for my car!

Cheers.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
WB is pretty essential if your going to etune/road tune..

drop me an email and we can discuss your options if you like!