Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Custom Tune: Stock Car

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2011, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Tune: Stock Car

Need some opinions. Do you guys think it is worth it to get a custom tune on a stock car?

Some of my reasoning: I only know (and not with certainty) part of my upgrade path. At this point, I'm looking for a relatively conservative 340-360 whp/wtq... basically up to the point of upgrading the turbo. Getting from stock to there, however... I'm still undecided. Tentative upgrades are AEM intake, ETS 4" I/C and piping, stealth TBE of some sort. The ultimate reason for considering a tune now is: I don't want to spend that much money right now. I might possibly spring for the intake, but certainly not I/C or exhaust.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Is it worth it? Or should I just wait?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

tune is the best mod that will yield the most whp for the least cost you can make...even on a totally stock X.

Get a tune, get another 35-45whp out of it. Start collecting your parts for your build. After you have all the parts, install, re-tune, then enjoy.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Need some opinions. Do you guys think it is worth it to get a custom tune on a stock car?

Some of my reasoning: I only know (and not with certainty) part of my upgrade path. At this point, I'm looking for a relatively conservative 340-360 whp/wtq... basically up to the point of upgrading the turbo. Getting from stock to there, however... I'm still undecided. Tentative upgrades are AEM intake, ETS 4" I/C and piping, stealth TBE of some sort. The ultimate reason for considering a tune now is: I don't want to spend that much money right now. I might possibly spring for the intake, but certainly not I/C or exhaust.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Is it worth it? Or should I just wait?
I guess you can make low 300s whp with these mods.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlade
tune is the best mod that will yield the most whp for the least cost you can make...even on a totally stock X.

Get a tune, get another 35-45whp out of it. Start collecting your parts for your build. After you have all the parts, install, re-tune, then enjoy.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xhomm02
I guess you can make low 300s whp with these mods.
Well, the tuner I want to go with uses a Dynojet... kind of warps the figures. Maybe looking at 300-320 on a mustang? I'm just guessing until I actually get the car on there. Seems to be almost a 40-50 whp difference between dynos, even stock.

Matters not to me. I'm not that much into pissing contests. Just want a nice, solid, smooth power curve.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Haha, that didn't take you long Eric! Didn't u just tell me last month you were going to keep it stock for like 6 months
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Haha, that didn't take you long Eric! Didn't u just tell me last month you were going to keep it stock for like 6 months
Wait, hasn't it been 6 wee... I mean months?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Well, the tuner I want to go with uses a Dynojet... kind of warps the figures. Maybe looking at 300-320 on a mustang? I'm just guessing until I actually get the car on there. Seems to be almost a 40-50 whp difference between dynos, even stock.

Matters not to me. I'm not that much into pissing contests. Just want a nice, solid, smooth power curve.
Yes, talking about Mustang, on Dynojet you can reach the target.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xhomm02
Yes, talking about Mustang, on Dynojet you can reach the target.
Yeah, the Dynojet was my frame of reference. Michael's ETS parts dyno post showed ~100 whp/wtq gains with those mods.

Anyway, I got the price quote for the tune. It's a little more than I thought (not much), but think I'm still going to wait on the intake. It's just, I don't want to run new parts on a custom tune, so i really will need to just store them until I'm ready. At least the retune will be cheaper.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:31 AM

What area of CA are you in and what tuner are you planning on going to?