Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Synapse dv surge/flutter

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rrkpitt15
its for the newer style dv. You can still adjust the preload with the softer spring. I have mine adjusted with the new spring. I tried using the dv with no preload spring and i could not even get 1 psi with my fp red.
what bov spring are you using?

Is this with the spring you purchased from me?

This is the 1st issue i have heard of from any evo 8/9/10 users.....other than the guy who bought the spring & put it in his older / large synapse bov

by your description above, you went from surge using the factory spring & with the mil.spec unit, your only able to achieve 1psi? am i understanding you correctly?

if that is correct, i suggest that you pull the bov apart & make sure everything is ok & nothing is bound up, or a o-ring fell out or????

what orientation are you running the valve?

at the very least, put the factory spring back in to verify that it was the way it was before you touched the bov.....

driving a turbo car with only 1psi of boost is complete krap! you bought a turbo'd car & by god, let there be boost!

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Oct 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC

This is the 1st issue i have heard of from any evo 8/9/10 users.....other than the guy who bought the spring & put it in his older / large synapse bov

by your description above, you went from surge using the factory spring & with the mil.spec unit, your only able to achieve 1psi? am i understanding you correctly?

if that is correct, i suggest that you pull the bov apart & make sure everything is ok & nothing is bound up, or a o-ring fell out or????

at the very least, put the factory spring back in to verify that it was the way it was before you touched the bov.....

driving a turbo car with only 1psi of boost is complete krap! you bought a turbo'd car & by god, let there be boost!
ABY!! ive been trying to get a hold of you i need this spring for my DV too!!!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BakaUnchi
ABY!! ive been trying to get a hold of you i need this spring for my DV too!!!
Really, how?

shoot me a pm... heck, i will shoot you a pm
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

I did get my spring from you and its working alot better than the spring that came with the dv. The flutter still happens in 5th gear occasional but it is SOOO much better than the other spring.

Someone told me to try running the dv without a spring in it so see if it would help with the flutter (this was before you sent me the spring) and thats when i could not build any boost, not even a psi.

I am running my dv in push mode with port a and 1 turn of preload(with your spring and washer). I am pretty sure the dv is working as it should. When i go through the rpm range at partial throttle, the car builds boost then the dv opens then the dv shuts and the car builds boost again and then the dv opens again. Is this normal?

I have a bunch of pictures that i need to put together in a write up/how to/review of the valve and new spring.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:21 PM
Former Sponsor

^ you may want to increase the preload, 1 turn @ a time. what i experienced, that the increased preload reduce the flutter that followed with slight / minimal throttle reduction...

i am trying to locate a different spring.....hopefully this will be better for the situations described by you.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:29 AM

Hey guys, thank a lot for all your suggestions. I had not noticed that the thread had grown. I would like to know how exactly should I adjust the prelode. How many turns and so on. I don't want to do something that might affect the car negatively. Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

^ you may want to increase the preload, 1 turn @ a time. what i experienced, that the increased preload reduce the flutter that followed with slight / minimal throttle reduction...

i am trying to locate a different spring.....hopefully this will be better for the situations described by you.
When i did not put any preload on the spring, i pretty much had no flutter but i did not hold boost as well. So i gave the spring a full turn and now it holds boost but seems to flutter alil more than before (with no turns for the preload spring). IDK if another turn of the preload spring would make the flutter get worse.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:08 AM
Former Sponsor

When i did not put any preload on the spring, i pretty much had no flutter but i did not hold boost as well. .
how much boost are you running again?

So i gave the spring a full turn and now it holds boost but seems to flutter alil more than before (with no turns for the preload spring). .
thats odd/interesting. i run ~30psi & I dont recall there being a boost level change / duty swing to maintain my desired boost target... i will have to review my logs on my pc @ home. i will get back to you.

IDK if another turn of the preload spring would make the flutter get worse.
why dont you just make the adjustment to find out? the time it took for you to type this is about the time it takes to make the adjustment.....or so it is on my evo 8. im not certain of the orientation of your bov in your car, so it maybe a PITA.

yeah, i really think i need to place that spring order....what turbo are you running?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

how much boost are you running again?

thats odd/interesting. i run ~30psi & I dont recall there being a boost level change / duty swing to maintain my desired boost target... i will have to review my logs on my pc @ home. i will get back to you.

why dont you just make the adjustment to find out? the time it took for you to type this is about the time it takes to make the adjustment.....or so it is on my evo 8. im not certain of the orientation of your bov in your car, so it maybe a PITA.

yeah, i really think i need to place that spring order....what turbo are you running?
I am running 27-28 psi on a ported FP Red with a short runner manifold. The DV held boost at WOT with no preload on the spring but during partial throttle acceleration the DV would crank open very easily.

I really dont drive my car anymore since the winter season is here and since we got snow last weekend.

Wednesday looks like it might be nice (60s) and i might take the car for a spin to try adjust the dv preload spring.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Got my spring from Aby, and put it in on Sunday. Cheap, easy fix and my flutter is gone!
If you are having this problem, get the spring. Now.
Thank you Mil-Spec!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by scarryy
Got my spring from Aby, and put it in on Sunday. Cheap, easy fix and my flutter is gone!
Thank you Mil-Spec!
Can't wait to install it. My car is super annoying. Just took the car on a 4 hour trip and if I would just let off the gas one millimeter it would flutter crazy. So much my cruise control would get confused when starting to go downhill. It's almost as if u have somebody inside telling u " dare to let go just a bit I make this s**t flutter" lol

Got irritated about it and now I wanna install the spring, but I left it at home. Just asked my cuzin to send it to me can't wait to install it.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:47 PM

Not sure if this will help anyone at all because this is my experience with the old synapse bov, not the newer DV.

A+B ports used: Car works great, no flutter ever in any gear. Slightly less boost than using B only.

B only: Only flutter in 5th when letting off with like 1-2psi. Strangely my car will hold more boost in this config.

A only: flutters all the time even during light acceleration where i was in vacuum the entire time.

So, maybe you guys with fluttering issues should try a different port setup? Again, this is with the old Synapse Bov, not the DV so this may not apply. Also, all my observations were without adjusting the preload.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 07:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scarryy
Thank you Mil-Spec!
Awesome News
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome News

Aby, are you using this spring with only the synapse?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:18 AM

I think I need that spring too aby!
pm'd you

Last edited by black rat; Dec 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Synapse dv surge/flutter