Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Synapse dv surge/flutter

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synapse dv surge/flutter

Hey guys, I recently installed a gt3071r turbo along with some suppourting mods. Inter cooler piping, cams/springs, turbo back and all. My stock bov only held 21 pounds when it was getting tuned, so I got the synapse dv. The car changed a lot for the first two days. After, I keep feeling a flutter at low boost about 5-7 pounds without even letting off the throttle the car flutters and kind of feels like something cuts the fuel. I'm very consenrned and scared that it can maybe be something serious. Oh yeah and also for some reason when I put the dv the car stopped giving me the 21 pounds it's only giving me like 18 and I haven't touched the Selinoid. :s please help!!!!!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Isn't it because the aftermarket valve holds boost better and doesn't leak, so the ECU would compensate and avoid overboosting?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:59 PM

No idea... I'm pretty sure that is fixed when the car is tuned, if it's what ur saying. But my main concern is that surge. It's kind scary and kinda annoying when driving.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like compressor surge to me, but if your foot is coming off slightly that could cause it on the synapse.

The boost going down sounds like you did something wrong, but you haven't really told us much about the install. It is possible that it is the error correction but highly unlikely.

Are you sure that your vacuum routing is correct?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

What kind of configuration are you running with your Synapse? Push, pull? A, B or A+B?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mil. Spec makes a softer spring for the DV which helps with this issue and fiddling with setting the valve to the softest setting.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Contact Aby@Mil.Spec on this forum for the spring. Real cheap and makes the drivablilty alot better.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you have it tuned after all those mods?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:13 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Mil. Spec makes a softer spring for the DV which helps with this issue and fiddling with setting the valve to the softest setting.
Originally Posted by rrkpitt15
Contact Aby@Mil.Spec on this forum for the spring. Real cheap and makes the drivablilty alot better.
Is this for the new Synapse and is it not adjustable? I've actually read alot of posts where Synapse themselves recommended removing all tension from or removing the spring all together from the older ones.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

its for the newer style dv. You can still adjust the preload with the softer spring. I have mine adjusted with the new spring. I tried using the dv with no preload spring and i could not even get 1 psi with my fp red.

I have pictures of both springs and the dv. I was going to write up a "how to" and give a quick review but i have not had the time to sit down and write it up.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

^
I would be very interested in that writeup. I had the synapse installed when I did all my hard parts and tune and now I get that same flutter/surge at low boost and partial throttle. Big time when letting off in a high gear, and sometimes feathering on (also in 4th or 5th).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Let me see what i can do this week before leaving for Baltimore Friday.

I have the same IC and intake. I wonder if the design of this LICP or intake tube has any effect on the flutter. My DV flutter was absolutely horrible before i got this spring. It was either drive my car like a grandma or drive like an idiot (WOT all the time). Anywhere inbetween the dv fluttered so bad the car would jerk.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same IC and intake. I wonder if the design of this LICP or intake tube has any effect on the flutter. My DV flutter was absolutely horrible before i got this spring. It was either drive my car like a grandma or drive like an idiot (WOT all the time). Anywhere inbetween the dv fluttered so bad the car would jerk.
Subscribed. Am keen to know how to fix the fluttering too.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is dissapointing to hear, I was going to try the synapse after having flutter issues at 20 psi boost and part throttle with the Tial QR.

I mean what is so hard about making a BOV that has near stock drivability and holds 35 psi consistantly? It seems like they all target their BOV's to hold 40+ psi and throw daily driving out the window in the process, we aren't all straightline drag racers here!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

you could also try the Cobb XLE or that NGR type-s which is the new greddy type-s. i've heard good reviews from both.

Quick Reply: Synapse dv surge/flutter