Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Cold start problem with Walbro400 & FIC1100

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start problem with Walbro400 & FIC1100

Hey guys. My current Evo x turbo upgrade includes a single Walbro 400 and FIC 1100 injectors running on e85 and 22 psi of boost. Recently I've been having problems turning the engine over from cold start. It takes about 2-3 crank cycles to get the motor running. I don't notice any loud noises or foul odors coming from the FP when it's first priming and all the mods are only a few months old. I've had the cold start map adjusted and the injection time increased but neither resolved this problem. The tuner shop said the Walbro 400 has problems with maintaining fuel pressure during cold starts and that there's no way to fix it directly. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have advice or opinions? Any help will be appreciated.

Here's a short vid clip showing the cold start issue:
Old Jul 9, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Your cranking enrichment table needs adjustment.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

subscribed to see what happens.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
log the air temp when trying to start the car. if its 70F or below, its more than likely startup enrichment as golden said.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. Is there a chart or formula that shows how to adjust the cranking enrichment? And the air temp is around 55-60 degrees so I think changing cranking enrichment had something to do with my cold start problem.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:00 AM

So I brought up the topic of adjusting the cranking enrichment table to my tuner shop and they claim that they've already made these adjustments. They seem to think the cold start problem may be caused by a defective Walbro FP, which they backed up with two other customer complaints of failing Walbros. Any thoughts or opinions on this?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Doubtful, your car is most likely getting way too much fuel during cranking.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by wewtRallywewt
So I brought up the topic of adjusting the cranking enrichment table to my tuner shop and they claim that they've already made these adjustments. They seem to think the cold start problem may be caused by a defective Walbro FP, which they backed up with two other customer complaints of failing Walbros. Any thoughts or opinions on this?
There are varying stories on the longevity of the W400 in E85, but I have not seen a single first-hand account of a W400 that failed in E85. I've had one in my Evo for three months now without a problem. Suggest that you toss in a W255 and see if that fixes it. Either that or put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what happens during cranking.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had the cold start map adjusted and the injection time increased but neither resolved this problem.
If they increased it - they went in the wrong direction.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
How cold your spark plugs are? Sometimes the wrongly choosen spark plugs can cause cold start issues.
Usually colder spark plugs can be pain in neck.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:35 PM

I've got NGK One Step Colder spark plugs for the Evo X. So far there's a cloud of doubt hanging over this tuner shop. I've gone back and forth to their shop about 5-6 times within the last two months just to address this one cold start problem. My confidence in them is starting to wane now. If there's anyone living in NorCal and knows of a good Evo X tuner, please let me know. I may decide to cut off all ties with my current tuner if things don't improve. Thanks and stay frosty, my friends.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I've got NGK One Step Colder spark plugs for the Evo X. So far there's a cloud of doubt hanging over this tuner shop. I've gone back and forth to their shop about 5-6 times within the last two months just to address this one cold start problem. My confidence in them is starting to wane now. If there's anyone living in NorCal and knows of a good Evo X tuner, please let me know. I may decide to cut off all ties with my current tuner if things don't improve. Thanks and stay frosty, my friends.
Sounds like your plugs are the proper ones for your set up. Just good to double check it
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Why colder plugs on E85? In all my experience, stock heat range is fine for a stock turbo E85 setup.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrfred
Why colder plugs on E85? In all my experience, stock heat range is fine for a stock turbo E85 setup.
x2 Colder plugs on E85 are more likely to misfire. E85 has a great cooling effect than 93/91.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

I believe he is speaking relative to stock RA plugs.

Quick Reply: Cold start problem with Walbro400 & FIC1100