Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Looking for a tuner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for a tuner

I'm in the chicago area looking for a tuner, i'd prefer local but an e-tune is also a high option in my book, please PM me or text\call me if you guys would like to work something out to tune my vehicle.

773 954 4982
Pat

2011 Mitsubishi Evolution X

-Bushur racing catback exhaust
-AMS resonated test pipe
-ETS Intake

Also have money for more mods depending on what tuner will recommend for best power, I'm thinking uicp and a fuel pump.

Thanks guys
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your in Chicago go to AMS for sure....

amsperformance.com
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Check out the regional forums https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/midwest-region-39/
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

I am aware of ams and boostin etc. However I forgot to mention, I don't want to go to these places because I have few mods done and I don't want to pay upwards of 500 dollars for a simple pump gas tune.

On a side note, I heard golden is a good tuner.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Buguy
I am aware of ams and boostin etc. However I forgot to mention, I don't want to go to these places because I have few mods done and I don't want to pay upwards of 500 dollars for a simple pump gas tune.

On a side note, I heard golden is a good tuner.
So what if you have few mods, DONT EVER BE CHEAP on your tune. A tune is what makes or breaks your car. Go to a good tuner PERIOD.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

I am well aware of this and I always go to just good tuners when I had my old car, but I don't feel the need to pay half a grand for a tune, especially since I want a street tune to keep the costs down.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erald01
So what if you have few mods, DONT EVER BE CHEAP on your tune. A tune is what makes or breaks your car. Go to a good tuner PERIOD.
This a million times over...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Buguy
I am well aware of this and I always go to just good tuners when I had my old car, but I don't feel the need to pay half a grand for a tune, especially since I want a street tune to keep the costs down.
Street tunes and E tunes take longer than Dyo tunes and really should cost more.
The people who do street/E-tunes as a hobby ruin the market for the pro's out there who do a really good job and take their time.

Spend the $500 on a GOOD TUNE from a PROFESSIONAL.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BakaUnchi
Street tunes and E tunes take longer than Dyo tunes and really should cost more.
The people who do street/E-tunes as a hobby ruin the market for the pro's out there who do a really good job and take their time.

Spend the $500 on a GOOD TUNE from a PROFESSIONAL.
What about the guys that do Professional really good tunes, but don't mind doing street/e-tunes as a hobby? I disagree with your logic on so many levels. I used to work for a shop that flew in "Professionals" to tune and often felt that their skills were greatly over-exaggerated. Not to mention that they charged significantly more than others for their "skills". I knew several guys that took the AEM training classes back in the day and became "certified" at loading generic maps from other shops. Bottom line is that a "shop" tuner is by no means guaranteed to do a better job than an "e-tuner." Customer reviews, feedback, references, and first-hand experiences are about the only way to make an informed decisions about a persons ability to tune. Even then, if they blow your car up, good luck holding them liable. It's nearly impossible to prove in court that their "negligence" caused your "race car" to break. I don't believe that the price an "e-tuner" charges should reflect their abilities. While I lack the ability to tune my car solely by myself, I don't feel that I should have to pay for things that I'm not using. Most "e-tuners" lack overhead costs that I don't have to pay for. If I want to run my car in a controlled environment, I'll pay more for dyno time. I'm a college graduate that works for a large chemical company and have found that many "tuners" want to charge upwards of 4 times my hourly rate. I understand that everyday isn't totally booked, but why should I have to make up for a person's down time.

Last edited by Steven; Aug 27, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steven
What about the guys that do Professional really good tunes, but don't mind doing street/e-tunes as a hobby? I disagree with your logic on so many levels. I used to work for a shop that flew in "Professionals" to tune and often felt that their skills were greatly over-exaggerated. Not to mention that they charged significantly more than others for their "skills". I knew several guys that took the AEM training classes back in the day and became "certified" at loading generic maps from other shops. Bottom line is that a "shop" tuner is by no means guaranteed to do a better job than an "e-tuner." Customer reviews, feedback, references, and first-hand experiences are about the only way to make an informed decisions about a persons ability to tune. Even then, if they blow your car up, good luck holding them liable. It's nearly impossible to prove in court that their "negligence" caused your "race car" to break. I don't believe that the price an "e-tuner" charges should reflect their abilities. While I lack the ability to tune my car solely by myself, I don't feel that I should have to pay for things that I'm not using. Most "e-tuners" lack overhead costs that I don't have to pay for. If I want to run my car in a controlled environment, I'll pay more for dyno time. I'm a college graduate that works for a large chemical company and have found that many "tuners" want to charge upwards of 4 times my hourly rate. I understand that everyday isn't totally booked, but why should I have to make up for a person's down time.
I am a professional tuner, infact probably one of the best in the world on Evo X .....
I charge quite a bit for E-tunes but i dont charge nearly enough for how thorough i am. The tune usually takes weeks and weeks to complete when i could have easily done it on the dyno in an hour or so.

Tuners can charge whatever they want for tuning a car if you choose to pay that then that is your decision. I've raised my prices over the years to help weed out the people looking for a cheap alternative, since those are the guys whose cars are usually 1/2 assed and always have issues.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BakaUnchi
Tuners can charge whatever they want for tuning a car if you choose to pay that then that is your decision. I've raised my prices over the years to help weed out the people looking for a cheap alternative, since those are the guys whose cars are usually 1/2 assed and always have issues.
truth
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

You're right. They can charge whatever they want for their product. But to argue that the price of a tune is correlated to the quality is absurd. One tuner may be able to survive on 75K/year while the next guy requires 150K/year to retain his lifestyle. While I understand that the e-tune takes longer, your not actually "working" on it for weeks. You're complaining that "e-tuners" are driving down the prices thus lowering the profits of "professional" tuners. That's the primary principle of business. If you're getting into the game and have skills, you're going to have to charge less in order to draw business from the big guys. As I stated above, I work for a large chemical company. I make chlorine gas, and sell large quantities at a lower price in order to keep the smaller guys from dipping into our business. They can't afford to get into this game. By your logic, we should sell at a much higher price and our customers shouldn't bother looking for cheaper options because our chlorine has a higher quality than everybody else. In reality, if we charge higher prices, the customers have to charge higher prices for their products, and nearly everything in your household will cost more money. Then you will have to charge me more money for my tune.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:23 PM

Here's a couple tuning places in the area

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Domestic-P...4.htm#Illinois