Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

EcuFlash vs AP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcuFlash vs AP

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to Evos having come from the Subie world. I've always had APs and gotten protunes through them. I'm looking to get my Evo tuned by FFTEC, but they only do EcuFlash, which I know nothing about.

Do I need to buy anything to get an ecuflash tune?
How do I revert to stock if I need to, using an ecuflash tune?
Are there any downsides going ecuflash vs AP?

Thanks for any info. I searched but couldn't find threads that covered this specifically.

Ryan
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Both do the exact same thing, each with it's pros/cons. I won't really discuss the AP since you've owned them and how about them and how they work. If you get tuned on ECUFlash you'll have to go back to the tuner if you ever want to flash back to stock unless you download your own ECUFlash program for your laptop and purchase your own Tactrix 2.0 cable. Both are capable of logging your ECU, one is handheld, one is a laptop.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:45 AM

Got it. If I went to a tuner that used their own download/cable, I would have no option but to go back to them to go back to stock correct? Do tuners keep records of tunes if I needed to return to stock briefly (let's say smog ref or something) and then can revert back to the tuned map?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I appreciate the help.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If you got your own program and cable you could keep a copy of both your stock ROM and your tuned ROM on your laptop.

Regarding tuners keeping stock ROMs...some do, some don't. You should probably specify they do plus also ask for them to toss a copy on a flash drive for you to hold on to.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:58 AM

That's a good tip. Thanks for the info, it's been very helpful.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Cobb really isnt show much love for the evo X nowadays. Personally i like Ecuflash better. Lots of people/tuners know there stuff with opensource/ecuflash on the forums (this forum and evoxforum) and they are always a helping hand. It is cheaper (if you own a laptop) to go with ecuflash cause a cable is only 100-170 dollars, depending if you can buy one used, and evoscan is only 20 dollars (ecuflash is free!!!) If you have an sst tranny you can use connect/flash the sst ecu (i have no idea if you can do this with an AP) and you can also log a bunch of different things in the SST using evoscan. The Cobb AP is easier to do things on but using a laptop and ecuflash/evoscan is not hard to flash or log.

Oh and the best reason why Ecuflash is better than an AP... Tephra/Tephra Mod!!!!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

You don't need a laptop to log with a Tactrix Cable. It can be done with a Micro SD card and the cruise control button.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Golden
You don't need a laptop to log with a Tactrix Cable. It can be done with a Micro SD card and the cruise control button.
can you please provide the log.txt file for this?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on the Rom Id of your car. If it is a typical 52680015 to 22, you can get them from searching. Or hit me up with an email. Golden at GoldenEvo dot com

I have plans on adding it to my site.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:42 AM

Glad I search post this is a big help. Just for my own retardness tho...... All you need is cable and ecuflash program? There's no need to mod the ecu? I know in my gsx I had to buy a kit and had to mod ecu for a part.