Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Is it worth voiding the "Warranty"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxevo
The X ecu has a flash counter. Pick up a spare and tune away. If you have to take it in put the stock ecu back.

no, it doesn't. not that they can see anyways.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ster-tech.html
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

cool. i been playing with a spare ecu as well .. doing some memory addressing for some additional maps ( aka like tephra v7 , i want valet mode lol) , i did see it on my terminal ( the counter) , and saw it on my friends ecu ( going up)
glad to know that a dealer can't see it , and if they wanted it to it would take a long time for them to dig it up.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FastAttack
cool. i been playing with a spare ecu as well .. doing some memory addressing for some additional maps ( aka like tephra v7 , i want valet mode lol) , i did see it on my terminal ( the counter) , and saw it on my friends ecu ( going up)
glad to know that a dealer can't see it , and if they wanted it to it would take a long time for them to dig it up.
yeah you are waaaaaaay ahead of anything even the factory trained evo guy uses

now, you can certainly **** the dealership off and they can Red Tag your VIN code and screw you, but in general, they get paid for warranty work and don't mind doing it at all.

if you got any more specific questions, I'd gladly ask him for you. He's way cool. First time I came in for warranty on my t-case he goes "sniff...sniff...running E85?"I was like oh ****, I'm screwed. But I said "yeah...".

I pick it up a few hours later after diagnosis just sweating bullets about warranty! He goes "man...i took that thing out...sonof***** is FAST!! Anyways, I ordered you a new t-case, somethings leaking that's for sure. No charge."

Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
I'm glad you said that. Go ahead and get it tuned. You'll get better mpg and power. If you were to keep it stock and just get it tuned.

Maybe if something goes wrong you can ask JMS to flash the stock tune back on so you can go back to the dealership and have them fix whatever goes wrong. I can't imagine JMS charging you anything to do that. It literally takes seconds to flash the car. Then have them flash the tune back on once you get it fixed?
+1 I think you should be able to maintain your stuff fine as long as we are only talking about flashing. It's when the bolts ons are combined with flashing MITSU starts to give people the heisman.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tiggeryellow1
+1 I think you should be able to maintain your stuff fine as long as we are only talking about flashing. It's when the bolts ons are combined with flashing MITSU starts to give people the heisman.

...kinda. If you go in there with a transmission problem and have a catback installed, your warranty is still 100% intact.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ikt@evoxpod.com
yeah you are waaaaaaay ahead of anything even the factory trained evo guy uses

now, you can certainly **** the dealership off and they can Red Tag your VIN code and screw you, but in general, they get paid for warranty work and don't mind doing it at all.

if you got any more specific questions, I'd gladly ask him for you. He's way cool. First time I came in for warranty on my t-case he goes "sniff...sniff...running E85?"I was like oh ****, I'm screwed. But I said "yeah...".

I pick it up a few hours later after diagnosis just sweating bullets about warranty! He goes "man...i took that thing out...sonof***** is FAST!! Anyways, I ordered you a new t-case, somethings leaking that's for sure. No charge."

i haven't take mine to the dealership yet other than its first oil change. which was a mistake. i am missing my access panel to the oil canister and the suckers wouldn't replace it .. so i said screw the dealer lol

I just moved to this new area I guess i have to start asking locals about warranty work shortly lol
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

i haven't take mine to the dealership yet other than its first oil change. which was a mistake. i am missing my access panel to the oil canister and the suckers wouldn't replace it .. so i said screw the dealer lol

I just moved to this new area I guess i have to start asking locals about warranty work shortly lol
oh that sucks!

If it were me, and what I did when the dealership changed hands here, is just go down and BS with them. You can order that panel at the Parts counter, kinda BS with the guy. Maybe schedule the oil change and tip the guy $20 bucks. The dealer here was so cool when I dealt with them that I tipped the tech $20, tipped the service writer $20 too. Got me a 2012 Hyundai loaner car for 3 weeks and a free t-case. They even installed my catback/wideband for me for free since they had to pull the exhaust to pull the t-case anyways. Years later, I get my a-pillar cores there that I make the pods with, and I get fast service, great prices, and the parts guy loves me cuz I order thousands of dollars worth of pillars at a time
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

So do they sell stock ECU's? Can you just buy a new ECU, install it, and mod. Then if you need serious warranty work, revert to stock and install your original ECU?

I still question if Mitsu can count the flashes on the ECU. I think at the dealer level for smaller repair they wont bother. But if you have something expensive needing to be covered, I think they may dig around in the ECU. Don't see why they wouldn't have that ability if they wanted to.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kendogg
So do they sell stock ECU's? Can you just buy a new ECU, install it, and mod. Then if you need serious warranty work, revert to stock and install your original ECU?

I still question if Mitsu can count the flashes on the ECU. I think at the dealer level for smaller repair they wont bother. But if you have something expensive needing to be covered, I think they may dig around in the ECU. Don't see why they wouldn't have that ability if they wanted to.
yeah they're like 2,000 dollars...

Their MIT Terminal doesn't have the ability to see that deep in the ECU, and, usually the dealer doesn't care. Mitsu PAYS THEM for warranty repair. They want to do it. The decision is made by someone outside the dealership, and he only gets involved if it's something like a blown motor, bent rod, etc. Something that screams "void!". Each area is handled by a Mitsu rep. The dealership will always WANT to do the repair-it's how they get paid-it comes down to the discretion of the Mits warranty guy, and he would only get involved in a big claim or repetative customer. Mits doesn't own the dealership or service departments, they're all franchised. Half of the warranty problems is Mits getting scammed by dealers more than anything else. Mits doesn't have a hard-on to deny claims by customers.

Just roll with a Cobb AP. I've had them on all 3 of my X's, 4 years, combined 80k miles or more, no issues. Got my ProTune from hollywood_x on all of them with the Cobb AP. I breeze through emissions, get 20mpg, and havent had a single part failure.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

I ran a test the other day..
You can bench flash a stock lancer ECU with an evo rom .. so the good part of that is that you can find them for cheap anywhere..
what you can't do yet is "flash a vin" with your standard of the shelf unit .. MUTIII is needed .. I know tephra had something in the works but he has been kinda awol for a bit ( i was trying to get the TPMS mod from him).

btw this was only a flash, i haven't tested it on a car yet since i can't get the VIN changed. Gotta find a service guy to help me test it

So the dealer would be the one flashing the vin , how much they would charge? dunno
never really ventured into doing it

Last edited by FastAttack; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

You can bench flash a stock lancer ECU with an evo rom .. so the good part of that is that you can find them for cheap anywhere..
what you can't do yet is "flash a vin" with your standard of the shelf unit .. MUTIII is needed .. I know tephra had something in the works but he has been kinda awol for a bit ( i was trying to get the TPMS mod from him).

btw this was only a flash, i haven't tested it on a car yet since i can't get the VIN changed. Gotta find a service guy to help me test it

So the dealer would be the one flashing the vin , how much they would charge? dunno
never really ventured into doing it
he works for Cobb now
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

he works for Cobb now
hmm the post that one of the mods said he was done with that contract ..
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Just roll with a Cobb AP. I've had them on all 3 of my X's, 4 years, combined 80k miles or more, no issues. Got my ProTune from hollywood_x on all of them with the Cobb AP. I breeze through emissions, get 20mpg, and havent had a single part failure.
So when you got pro-tuned, he didn't tune with your ECU? He tuned with the cobb AP? Sorry I'm a newb to it. Been thinking about getting one but I want a protune if I mod. But I can get a protune done and saved into the AP and then flash back to stock if I need warranty work?

How much are they? Might be a possibility for someone like me with a stock Evo. I havent modded yet. So if I install this ECU and then mod, it would work out good. If I had to take the car in for warranty work then I could put my original back in and all the numbers would match up.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

...kinda. If you go in there with a transmission problem and have a catback installed, your warranty is still 100% intact.
Well yea... that's what i meant.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

To make this matter short and sweet. I work at Mitsu and have access to the scan tool. If the car was flashed the number changes simple as that. The number is allocated to the vin number on your car. If that number stays the same there's no way for them to tell that you have flashed your car other than if your bring it in with a blown engine and they see that the ecu was reset 30 miles ago you might run into a problem. Other than that there is no "black box" like the GRT's that records what you have done to the car. The acessport DOES NOT CHANGE THE NUMBERS when you "uninstall" it from the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Is it worth voiding the "Warranty"