Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Is it worth voiding the "Warranty"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well!! It seems all of you are on the same page the warranty is as good as a blank parchment sheet.

@ikt@evoxpod.com, thank you got the info on the private message, really helped a lot. and thanks to the rest of you guys as well..im going to get it tuned =D.

And to whoever asked about where i bought it from, I bought the car from West Loop Mitsubishi off of hwy 410, i did my first free oil change and brought my own oils and filter.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hexaggram
Well!! It seems all of you are on the same page the warranty is as good as a blank parchment sheet.

@ikt@evoxpod.com, thank you got the info on the private message, really helped a lot. and thanks to the rest of you guys as well..im going to get it tuned =D.

And to whoever asked about where i bought it from, I bought the car from West Loop Mitsubishi off of hwy 410, i did my first free oil change and brought my own oils and filter.
I had bought my 2012 at West Loop. They tried to screw me over by adding on some 3rd party warranty that I didn't want. I wont ever buy another car from them again.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

good choice, go for the tune

Originally Posted by hexaggram

Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

go team
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jake.barratt
To make this matter short and sweet. I work at Mitsu and have access to the scan tool. If the car was flashed the number changes simple as that. The number is allocated to the vin number on your car. If that number stays the same there's no way for them to tell that you have flashed your car other than if your bring it in with a blown engine and they see that the ecu was reset 30 miles ago you might run into a problem. Other than that there is no "black box" like the GRT's that records what you have done to the car. The acessport DOES NOT CHANGE THE NUMBERS when you "uninstall" it from the vehicle.
Hi - I'm new as well. Just so I understand clearly, does this mean that if your 'flash counter' is anything > 0 mitsubishi will deny your warranty claim?
I got my GSR in January, and I'm currently putting together a parts list, but I still have factory warranty. Anything like intake+exhaust+tune will void it, is that correct? Or is it just no matter what's done to the car, if your tune is different from stock, the dealer won't want to touch it?

Thanks!

quick edit: just read this https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ster-tech.html
little bit of conflicting information

Last edited by atron; Jun 18, 2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: update
Old Jun 18, 2013, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atron
Hi - I'm new as well. Just so I understand clearly, does this mean that if your 'flash counter' is anything > 0 mitsubishi will deny your warranty claim?
I got my GSR in January, and I'm currently putting together a parts list, but I still have factory warranty. Anything like intake+exhaust+tune will void it, is that correct? Or is it just no matter what's done to the car, if your tune is different from stock, the dealer won't want to touch it?

Thanks!

quick edit: just read this https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ster-tech.html
little bit of conflicting information
Mitsubishi can not see flash count. So in other words like if you're battery and you replaced it that would reset your ECU and that has nothing to do with mapping or programming the car. Mitsubishi does not support after market modification because the vehicle is designed for 291 bhp and nothing more in their eyes. As for our eyes and countless other people the vehicle can be safe and reliable with modifications to make the car a little more fun to drive. They do not see it that way but as far as if you had a failure lets say you're turbo fails, technically they can say that "well you changed the mapping and made the turbo work harder so therefore we cant cover it". But if the failure that happens is not in direct relation to the aftermarket part then you will be covered under warranty.

As far as a catback exhaust and an intake and a tune the only major thing that I would think they could deny a claim for is the tune. That is different in every case though because Mitsubishi is the one that pays for warranty work not the dealership. Here are our dealership we really don't care what mods you have or what tune you have because we like the work and you have to pay for it or Mitsubishi does either way we get paid. But Its a very fine line and there is no real answer because technically they COULD void your warranty claim for having a catback depending on what the failure was and what caused it.

Short story is that if you buy an Acessport and run a map and lets say you have something go wrong with your car you can UNINSTALL it not just run the stock map and they CVN number and CAL ID wont change so there would be no way for the dealership to tell what you did as far as they are concerned "you just replaced your battery".
Old Jun 19, 2013, 06:54 AM

Thanks dude! I appreciate the clarification!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 01:28 PM
08x

lmfao .. dude im sorry to tell you , Mitsu doesnt cover anything !!! "there is no warranty with them"
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 08x
lmfao .. dude im sorry to tell you , Mitsu doesnt cover anything !!! "there is no warranty with them"
my experience has been great with Mitsubishi on all three of my X's

Tip. You gotta tip them. Remember their names. Tip the service writer $20. Tip the tech $20. If you got good service, order them a pizza for lunch the next day. Tell their boss they did a good job.

Since a lot of what can happen at a dealership is based off the recommendation by your tech or service writer, you should work really hard at developing that relationship.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ikt@evoxpod.com
my experience has been great with Mitsubishi on all three of my X's
Same here for my IX and X; both when new and when nearing the end of the warranty period. I had my IX's rear diff seals warrantied at 43k miles, and Mitsu warrantied the front axle on my X at 58k miles. I have nothing but good things to say about Mitsubishi's warranty coverage at my dealership (Don Herring Mitsubishi).
Old Jul 10, 2013, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Same here for my IX and X; both when new and when nearing the end of the warranty period. I had my IX's rear diff seals warrantied at 43k miles, and Mitsu warrantied the front axle on my X at 58k miles. I have nothing but good things to say about Mitsubishi's warranty coverage at my dealership (Don Herring Mitsubishi).
Yep, you said the special words...Don Herring

Arguably the most mod friendly dealership in the nation. Come to San Antonio and deal with these retards at our dealerships. I almost rather pay out of pocket then having to deal with them. All 3 of them are terrible.

Here's a great example that I know I have told before. Have a stock 08 Spyder. Developed holes in the top. Mitsu put out a TSB over the issue. Submitted in for warranty repair. Weeks later I find out the warranty was denied. Stupid dealership tells me that Mitsu just won't warrant it. I call Mitsu, turns out the idiot dealership just didn't load up the pictures so thats why it was denied.

Cool, I get it approved. They change the top. Go to pick it up and they didn't bother tinting my back window. Then there was gaps where the top meets the car.

I'm just gonna stop there cause this is a very long story. This was all just the beginning. Simply put I am surprised these dealers here can even change your oil properly. Any anger or hate I have for Mitsu stems from these terrible dealerships that Mitsu knows about, but just doesn't care to do anything about. It's these type of dealers that give Mitsu a bad name and declined sales.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 06:27 AM
08x

i live in mass, and i been to 3 of the dealerships they all suck , I'm sorry to say that but they really dont cover anything,
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:12 AM

I called the dealerships where I am from (Houston) and one said don't touch it at all (very vague) and the other said a dry "AFE" drop in filter would be o.k. and catback only. Nothing else.