Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Is it worth voiding the "Warranty"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth voiding the "Warranty"

hello everyone, im very new to the evolution forums. I recently bought myself a 2012 Evo X Rally Red off the showroom with 13 miles. I love my car A lot!

With the recent browsing of this site i've found many and many of other Evo X owners to have the famous "hesitation jerk @ 5-7k RPM" and i also suffer from it.

The dealership from which I bought the car say they have no such *re-flash* tsb for the evo's at all and he says "I shouldn't drive my car like that in the first place." I stood up for myself and told them "I bought a thirty eight THOUSAND dollar vehicle designed to rev up and boost like a champ and you're telling me that I cant enjoy my car?? what the **** is that?

They are doing all the checks online and on mitsu's main tsb site and told me to wait for a phone call to see if they find anything.

Now; there's a very very Very famous tunner shop here in San Antonio Texas called "JMSRacing". A friend said to me with confidence *dude, honestly **** the warranty; you race your car you void warranty, you enjoy the car you void warranty, just get it tunned right and enjoy YOUR car."

now im at a fork in the road, do I really need my warranty or should I just tune it outside of mitsu dealer?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

By and Acessport and you will be fine. They can not deny a warranty claim due to the fact of an aftermarket modification unless the failure that occurred was a direct result of that modification. PS I work at Mitsu.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude consider ur warranty done from the moment u walked out of the stealership, Mitsu is that bad with warranty claims, go ahead and tune ur car.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bphx123
dude consider ur warranty done from the moment u walked out of the stealership, Mitsu is that bad with warranty claims, go ahead and tune ur car.
He has a valid point.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hexaggram
hello everyone, im very new to the evolution forums. I recently bought myself a 2012 Evo X Rally Red off the showroom with 13 miles. I love my car A lot!

With the recent browsing of this site i've found many and many of other Evo X owners to have the famous "hesitation jerk @ 5-7k RPM" and i also suffer from it.

The dealership from which I bought the car say they have no such *re-flash* tsb for the evo's at all and he says "I shouldn't drive my car like that in the first place." I stood up for myself and told them "I bought a thirty eight THOUSAND dollar vehicle designed to rev up and boost like a champ and you're telling me that I cant enjoy my car?? what the **** is that?

They are doing all the checks online and on mitsu's main tsb site and told me to wait for a phone call to see if they find anything.

Now; there's a very very Very famous tunner shop here in San Antonio Texas called "JMSRacing". A friend said to me with confidence *dude, honestly **** the warranty; you race your car you void warranty, you enjoy the car you void warranty, just get it tunned right and enjoy YOUR car."

now im at a fork in the road, do I really need my warranty or should I just tune it outside of mitsu dealer?
I'm glad you said that. Go ahead and get it tuned. You'll get better mpg and power. If you were to keep it stock and just get it tuned.

Maybe if something goes wrong you can ask JMS to flash the stock tune back on so you can go back to the dealership and have them fix whatever goes wrong. I can't imagine JMS charging you anything to do that. It literally takes seconds to flash the car. Then have them flash the tune back on once you get it fixed?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

What dealership did you buy from? All 3 of our dealers here are the freakin worst. I pray I never have to take the car in as I swear they drop my IQ a few points everytime.

I'm in the same position as you. I'm really thinking of modding but not sure if I want to void my warranty. I still havent decided yet.

From what I've been told by Don Herring and from little things I have read, I believe Mitsu can find out if you had a tune. Even if you flash it back. I really don't see them going through any of the hassle if you need like a new headlight or window motor or something. But if something engine/tranny related or something else expensive needs to be replaced, I can see them finding out if you had a tune and voiding your warranty.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The X ecu has a flash counter. Pick up a spare and tune away. If you have to take it in put the stock ecu back.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
The X ecu has a flash counter. Pick up a spare and tune away. If you have to take it in put the stock ecu back.
Pick up a spare ECU? How much do those run?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

When a warranty claim is put in to Mitsu. They ask for a Cal ID and a CVN number. With that said when you change the programming on the ECU that number changes. The acessport allows you to save the original map that your car came with so that might be your best bet.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:15 AM

I just hit 60k miles, so my powertrain warranty is up. Not once did I have to use it. Get tuned and forget about the warranty.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Whats a warranty?

Void that **** if you want to pay to play, otherwise keep it stock.

It comes down to this, do you have ***** or not?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jake.barratt
When a warranty claim is put in to Mitsu. They ask for a Cal ID and a CVN number. With that said when you change the programming on the ECU that number changes. The acessport allows you to save the original map that your car came with so that might be your best bet.
it still counts as a flash.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FastAttack
it still counts as a flash.
no it doesn't.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ikt@evoxpod.com
no it doesn't.
interesting just recently i benched one with the cobb and the counter was up by 10 counts.. maybe the previous owner had ecu flashed it.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FastAttack
interesting just recently i benched one with the cobb and the counter was up by 10 counts.. maybe the previous owner had ecu flashed it.

there's a serial bit code buried deep down inside the ECU that is not accessible by the MIT terminal. I don't think the AP affects that but Evoscan/ECUflash might change it...still dealership doesn't have the equipment to get that deep in the ECU.

Quick Reply: Is it worth voiding the "Warranty"