Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

k&n typhoon issues? help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k&n typhoon issues? help!!!

Hey guys I'm brand new here so i hope my problems arent too noobish (and that this is in the right section). I recently got my first 2013 evo x gsr a few weeks ago and just installed a k&n typhoon intake. Now it sounds great, but I've got a problem I can't figure out. All my hoses and such are where they should be, but it feels like I'm seriously losing boost!!

In first and second gear it's not too bad, not even noticable. But in third through fifth, I get next to nothing!! I can hear the turbo spooling when I give it gas, but I don't feel it. It feels almost like accelerating a regular es lancer. The turbo is clearly spooling and the blow off is pretty loud. I just have no idea what's going on

My last car was an NA e46 bimmer so to be honest I don't know much about turbos. Would this have anything to do with the MAF sensor? Also, the uicp that comes with it hasn't been installed yet due to some missing silicone hoses in the box. But would keeping the stock pipe affect it that much?

I really appreciate any help you guys have! Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

I have the exact same kit on my 2013 GSR. I installed the UICP with the intake and have had no problems at all. I even datalogged and found that it was running very well, even without a tune. I did not notice any more power, maybe just a smoother powerband in the upper RPM. Of course the sound as well.

The MAF is not affected as the housing remains the same, it will not affect anything. I would say, install the UICP, double check ALL connections for the intake/intercooler, including ones you may not have even touched. If you still feel the power loss in upper gears i would suggest getting a boost gauge to see if you are indeed losing any boost.

One other thing, did you rotate your diverter valve when hooking it up to the K&N pipe? I had to in order for it to fit properly. I also had to trim 1.5" from the factory silicone hose going to the diverter valve, as it was pushed up after the install.. I hope this helps.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:18 AM

I finally got the silicone hoses to put on the uicp (thanks to tiago from vrspeedfactory). But I'm still experiencing the same problem! I double checked all the hoses, including the ones I never touched. My diverter valve is a little high due to the new intake pipe, but would that really affect it so much? Still nothing!! Is this because I'm driving without a tune? It was my understanding that as long as the MAF sensor is still incorporated, I shouldn't have a problem.....
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

It is not because of the tune. I have the exact same set-up and mine runs fine. Do a boost leak test to see if you are losing any boost.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

also, did you ensure to install the small vaccuum line back into the new intake pipe?