Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Open Source vs Cobb

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Source vs Cobb

I am purchasing a car that has been tuned on Open Source. Being as I am more familiar with Cobb which is what my GTR is setup on, is there any advantage/disadvantage to Open Source?

i.e. - How can I view parameters with the open source programming?
How to change maps on the fly? (On my GTR you just use the cruise control buttons to change maps - Is it similar on the Evo?)

Cobb is also coming out with their V3 of the Accessport which looks wayyy better than my current V2. So I may just hold out for that anyway...

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends on if whoever tuned the car. Evo's who run the tephramod have that dual map capability like your gtr. The only way to view param's is to get a tactrix cable I BELIEVE. If it wasn't setup during tuning for dual maps it will not posses that capability. I'm open sourced tuned, I only have a single map. The way it was tuned is pretty much all I have. I chose it over cobb because its cheaper than buying the pnp box then paying for a custom tune. That and you dont have to have the lil ap sitting somewhere.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by awdxftw
depends on if whoever tuned the car. Evo's who run the tephramod have that dual map capability like your gtr. The only way to view param's is to get a tactrix cable I BELIEVE. If it wasn't setup during tuning for dual maps it will not posses that capability. I'm open sourced tuned, I only have a single map. The way it was tuned is pretty much all I have. I chose it over cobb because its cheaper than buying the pnp box then paying for a custom tune. That and you dont have to have the lil ap sitting somewhere.

Thanks...It apparently does have two maps...Pump and Race gas...I think he said it's some combination of pressing the AWD button or something...

I will probably switch it over to Cobb at some point since I seem to be more comfortable with it.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:58 PM

choice's

I have both. I like the A/P and still learning EVOSCAN which I will use it exclusively when more secure with using it. It is the bomb, make sure you save those maps when converting back to cobb. If I had known what I have now it would be 1st a pro tune and EVOSCAN after. There is so much more.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Mike

What year is this evo x?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by r18eclipse
mike

what year is this evo x?