Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Flex Fuel & Midwest E85 blend changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flex Fuel & Midwest E85 blend changes

I'm getting an MHI turbo installed in early June. Ideally I could get it tuned on E85 to really have this thing scream. However, my concern is the variious blends of E85 that are dispensed as the seasons changed - E85 to E70, etc.

I've searched for info on people running flex fuel systems on the Evo X and can't find much and nothing that has been done long term. It appears as though a combination of a few things is needed:

1 - A flex fuel sensor to determine % ethanol real time. This seems to be rather straightforward and Haltech offers such a device. Does a factory GM flex fuel sensor perform the same function? What is the optimal option?

2 - ECU capability to take the output of the sensor and manipulate tuning parameters accordingly. Here too it appears as though a standalone ECU for Haltech/other has this capability. I've also seen threads on various 'patches' that can be done to create this capability. Most optimal solution?

3 - A tuner who can implement 1 & 2. My understanding here is that a tune is performed at a low ethanol % (i.e. pump 93) and then a high ethanol % (i.e. E85) and the ECU and sensor then work in harmony with these initial tuning parameters.

Once those are done you have freedom to drop in various % of ethanol and the tune adjusts and you're off. By optimal I mean most tested and safe. I don't mind spending $1k+ on an ECU if it is more 'robust' and backed by a company over a software patch that has downloaded off of a forum - no discredit to anyone, just my preference. If at the end of the day I can save $ on an option that has identical performance to a more expensive solution, I'm game.

At the end of the day I'm looking for security that if I'm pumping a new seasonal blend, or if mistakes were made at the station on putting the wrong fuel in the wrong tank (I've heard this happens) that I won't be completely hosed.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone? Buehler, Buehler? Anyone?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...n-evo-ecu.html

Call up ER and Im sure they can get you fixed up. Just make sure to put the fuel sensor in the return line if you're making big power as the sensors can be a bit of a restriction.