Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Really confused HELP!

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really confused HELP!

Hey guys I am really new to eve tuning i just got my eve x thursday. I have read a lot about the Cobb access port and have some questions about that vs a dyne tune. I plane on getting a EBC , a bigger air filter, a test pipe, and a tune for my car. Now my question is do you buy the AP and have the guy that tunes your car put the tune on the AP? Or does the AP already have a tune for this set up? Would a dyne tune be better for my situation? I am trying to get my car to about 320-250whp
Car specs:
2010 EVO X SE
SST Transmission
all stock except for catback borla exhaust
Old May 25, 2014, 06:30 AM

A lot of tuners (at least around me), actually prefer you have an Accessport so they can store the custom tunes in it. The Accessport will come with OTS (Off The Shelf) maps, but they are quite general and not tailored to your specific car like a custom dyno tune will get you. My first round of mods was a turbo back exhaust, intake, UICP and the Cobb Accessport and it has been working great (I haven't gotten it professionally tuned yet).

Short answer: A custom dyno tune is almost always better than an off the shelf map. Having the accessport means you can change your tune whenever you want.

Hope this helps!
Old May 25, 2014, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A custom, professional tune is always going to be better than whatever is loaded onto a Cob AP or similar. It really doesn't matter whether the tune is loaded via Cobb or some other method. It seems to be the tuner's choice and, from what I've learned, there are some slight preferences with each. We use a Cobb and store multiple custom maps for different tracks and conditions, but only because that's what we started with, as both methods will work. The key is, a custom tune for your car, your mods and your driving style.
Old May 25, 2014, 06:37 AM

Ok thanks so much for your responses! You really helped clear up the confusion! I think I'm going to order the Cobb AP soon and run that for a little and then I'll order the test pipe and 3 port and have it dyno tuned