Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Replacing Narrow O2 with Wide O2

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Narrow O2 with Wide O2

I'm getting ready to install an AEM wideband. Can I remove the stock narrowband O2 and replace it with the wideband O2? If so, how do I send the signal to the ECU and the gauge?
Old May 18, 2015, 12:37 PM

dont use the wbo2 in place of the primary narrow band o2, some people will use the 2nd narrowband o2 bung if they have removed or are no longer using the 2nd o2. Otherwise you will need a bung welded in, before the catalytic converter, on the upper half of the downpipe (from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock)
Old May 27, 2015, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by rbrick220
I'm getting ready to install an AEM wideband. Can I remove the stock narrowband O2 and replace it with the wideband O2? If so, how do I send the signal to the ECU and the gauge?
If youre getting a wideband, you should probably go ahead and get yourself an aftermarket exhaust setup as well. Typically they will come with a spot for your stock O2 sensor, which your car needs in order to operate and you can order your setup with an extra spot for your wideband.

Your wideband is not a replacement for your narrowband. Your car is calibrated to work with your narrow band, it just tells the car whether its rich or lean (0-1V); your ECU is incapable of comprehending, from a wideband output (0-5V) whether your A/F is 12.5 or 15.

Your gauge is just more of a piece of mind/aesthetics part.
Old May 28, 2015, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by akride907
If youre getting a wideband, you should probably go ahead and get yourself an aftermarket exhaust setup as well. Typically they will come with a spot for your stock O2 sensor, which your car needs in order to operate and you can order your setup with an extra spot for your wideband.

Your wideband is not a replacement for your narrowband. Your car is calibrated to work with your narrow band, it just tells the car whether its rich or lean (0-1V); your ECU is incapable of comprehending, from a wideband output (0-5V) whether your A/F is 12.5 or 15.

Your gauge is just more of a piece of mind/aesthetics part.
Some of the wideband units have a narrowband output from the controller but it would require hacking up some part of the factory harness. So while you can do it, I'd second the recommendation to just run the wideband independently in a separate bung that any decent exhaust shop could weld on for you.
Old May 30, 2015, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rbrick220
Why do you want to send the signal to the ecu? For tuning? Cause for that it would just be easier to buy the seriel cable for the wideband
Old Jun 1, 2015, 04:54 PM

Generally, you either weld another bang between the cat and front o2. Rear o2 is a bad location as it's after the cat and readings will be significantly off unless you have a testpipe.