Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Tune, or E-Tune?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune, or E-Tune?

Hello all!

I am in desperate need of a tune. But I'm also in a pickle.
I am located in northern Idaho and there does not seem to be ANYONE near hear. I think the closest AWD dyno is like 500mi away...and that's just a dyno. English Racing is in Portland but I don't quite have the funds or time to make a trip down there just for a tune.
I just took a huge pay cut and I don't really have much money to throw at this. So even an e-tune looks pricey.

$200 for the tactrix and evoscan, $500+ for a tune and I don't know how much I should trust my 85k mi X to put up with a tune.

Anyone know of a tuner in my area? I would rather have a shop tell me something isn't going to work instead of an etune blowing up my car. Or maybe someone can convince me to get an etune? Just exploring my options.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 07:28 PM

Can you further explain any issues your car has, and why your car can't handle at tune. If their's not a good shop around then just get an etune. You can get an etune from Chet Rickerman for way less than $500. He's currently tuning my gsr and I would recommend him. If you watch the private for sale adds you can pick a used Cobb AP for around $250.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

I know there's more or less a check list of sorts that some shops go through to make sure your good for a tune, or they find an issue from the data that you need to fix before you get tuned. At 85k I wouldn't be surprised if I had some boost leak or something "off" that might hinder me.
Should I get an AP or Tactrix for an etune?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 09:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If your short on cash, modifying your car is the last thing you should be doing.

That being said, Aaron at English Racing is currently remote tuning my car. He sent me the 4th revision last night, and aside from being down on power because he's still adding boost and playing with timing, my car is running better than it ever has as far as driveability goes. And its just as smooth at WOT as it was with my previous tune. I'm working on getting the car on a dyno to finish up the tune though, going 100+ in the top of 3rd on the streets is a little sketchy for my tastes
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

I would buy a new tactrix cable for 160 before spending 250 on a used ap.
Chet Rickerman tuned my car and he can tell from the data you log if there is an issue with your car. A good tune won't hurt your 80k car, but your driving and level of abuse will.

How are you hitting 100+ in third gear dude lol. High 80's would be my guess. I think my car hits 86 mph at redline in third. A road tune is perfectly fine, dyno is nice but not needed
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by chriswolf81
I would buy a new tactrix cable for 160 before spending 250 on a used ap.
Chet Rickerman tuned my car and he can tell from the data you log if there is an issue with your car. A good tune won't hurt your 80k car, but your driving and level of abuse will.

How are you hitting 100+ in third gear dude lol. High 80's would be my guess. I think my car hits 86 mph at redline in third. A road tune is perfectly fine, dyno is nice but not needed

4.11 final drive, 8k rev limiter..
Old Jun 24, 2015, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Must be nice to trap in 4th.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:05 AM

Have you looked into Chets E-tuning?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Sephiron
Hello all!

I am in desperate need of a tune. But I'm also in a pickle.
I am located in northern Idaho and there does not seem to be ANYONE near hear. I think the closest AWD dyno is like 500mi away...and that's just a dyno. English Racing is in Portland but I don't quite have the funds or time to make a trip down there just for a tune.
I just took a huge pay cut and I don't really have much money to throw at this. So even an e-tune looks pricey.

$200 for the tactrix and evoscan, $500+ for a tune and I don't know how much I should trust my 85k mi X to put up with a tune.

Anyone know of a tuner in my area? I would rather have a shop tell me something isn't going to work instead of an etune blowing up my car. Or maybe someone can convince me to get an etune? Just exploring my options.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

My opinion, save your money get parts slowly if you want , and when its ready go down to English racing.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 05:23 AM

Well, do you have any mods on the car that makes the car NEED a tune? e.g. intake, cams, injectors, etc.?

If not, then you can leave it for now, and slowly build it up, just as Rob said.

Here's my personal opinion. If you have a decent basic understanding of how your car works and a small amount of surplus cash, then just buy the Tactrix, and slowly learn to tune it yourself. Just remember to take baby steps, and research a lot. It's not that difficult if you're really willing to learn.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Sounds like the last thing you should be doing is modifying your car if you "just took a paycut and even an e-tune looks pricey". Save your money for brakes and tires. Maybe put a cat back on it and enjoy the car.