Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Part II: Evo X Tuned

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Shiv already proved it. He said the X with just a tune was making more power than a 9 with a tune and full exhaust on his dyno.
That doesn't mean the engine is more capable..You are assuming that every mod thereafter will yield a similar power advantage over the IX.

When the IX came out, he made similar comments about the IX having the potential to make more than the VIII (~30whp mod-for-mod). And while that was true, in the end when both cars were compared with full bolt-ons, they were roughly in the same ballpark power-wise.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:05 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm...something isn't adding up about the numbers here...

On Vishnu's very own website, they claim that a IX can hit ~307whp/307wtq with their Stage One V400 package. Click the link below and pull up the dyno chart they post to support their claims for the V400 package. Mods in the package are reflashed ECU, boost solenoid emulator, downpipe, HFC, catback exhaust.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/evoIX_Stage1_v400.htm

The mods on the IX with the V400 packages are essentially the same as the mods on the X mentioned in this thread.

What doesn't add up for me is this part of their post...

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
These new results are about as good as the absolute BEST results we've ever got out of a Evo IX running a full catless exhaust (3" dp, 3" test pipe, 3" cat-back). But we're talking about the top 3-5%. Most IXs with full catless exhaust usually fall in the 285-290whp range.

It is much stronger than a similarly modified IX (which would only make 270-275whp/290-300lbft with a 3" cat and 3" catback).
So, in this thread they say that even the strongest IX with even more mods than their V400 package can't even top 300whp. But, on their website they advertise the V400 as being able to obtain over 300whp/300wtq.

I'm not bashing the X and the gains have been impressive. I'm just questioning the validity of the numbers we are seeing. Especially when other vendors are not producing numbers like this or claiming to be able to reach 400whp on the stock turbo.

Maybe I'm just looking at the information incorrectly
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:05 PM
Account Disabled

Fu*k! I can't wait any longer!

So uhhh, Shiv....You doin' test drives?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Martin from AMS and some other tuner already mentioned that the power is also coming from the timing maps being more aggresive stock than the Evo IX stock timing maps leaving little room to add more timing on pump gas.. This is why the X is seeing more power than a IX.. And i also may mention that no one yet knows how much power this motor can make reliably as opposed to a 4g63 than can handle tons of power on the stock bottom end.. This is a question that still remains to be answered
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Martin from AMS and some other tuner already mentioned that the power is also coming from the timing maps being more aggresive stock than the Evo IX stock timing maps leaving little room to add more timing on pump gas.. This is why the X is seeing more power than a IX.. And i also may mention that no one yet knows how much power this motor can make reliably as opposed to a 4g63 than can handle tons of power on the stock bottom end.. This is a question that still remains to be answered
Shiv is comparing the X to a IX that is tuned as well so that throws the timing arguement out the window.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Hmmm...something isn't adding up about the numbers here...

On Vishnu's very own website, they claim that a IX can hit ~307whp/307wtq with their Stage One V400 package. Click the link below and pull up the dyno chart they post to support their claims for the V400 package. Mods in the package are reflashed ECU, boost solenoid emulator, downpipe, HFC, catback exhaust.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/evoIX_Stage1_v400.htm

The mods on the IX with the V400 packages are essentially the same as the mods on the X mentioned in this thread.

What doesn't add up for me is this part of their post...

So, in this thread they say that even the strongest IX with even more mods than their V400 package can't even top 300whp. But, on their website they advertise the V400 as being able to obtain over 300whp/300wtq.

I'm not bashing the X and the gains have been impressive. I'm just questioning the validity of the numbers we are seeing. Especially when other vendors are not producing numbers like this or claiming to be able to reach 400whp on the stock turbo.

Maybe I'm just looking at the information incorrectly
You are comparing the results of different dynos (FFTEC's Mustang Dyno vs. our Dyno Dynamics dyno). FFTEC's dyno (the one we are using for X development) does read a bit lower.

Shiv
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Turbo size does not have everything to do with it. Look at it this way, a RSX Type S has a 2.0ivtec motor makes 200hp and the base RSX has a 2.0ivtec motor that makes only 160. That is a 40hp differance on basically the same engine why is it so hard to beleive that the 4b is just a more powerfull motor than the 4g regaurdless of turbo size. Oh and the X turbo is not that much smaller, hotside is actually bigger.
The majority of those gains from the RSX type S vs standard RSX come from higher lift/duration camshafts, as well as compression ratio (9.8:1 vs 11:1). The more aggressive cams, allow the car to make peak power at a significantly higher RPM (hence the redline being over 1000rpm higher), raising the overall peak power of the motor. I'm sure there are a few other differences that help contribute, possible differences in intake/exhaust piping diameter, to include intake/exhaust manifold designs. Although, notice, peak torque for both of those motors is VERY close, 141tq vs 143tq IIRC.

I'm not disagreeing with you in the least, there is more to peak power than just turbo sizing, but expounding a bit. If anything, I would compare the following to get a good assessment of the 4B vs 4G:

-Compression ratio
-Lift & duration of both intake & exhaust cams
-Differences in Mivec system
-Size of the valves in the head
-Differences in head design

There are a TON of things to look at, but the displacement of both motors is about the same (2.0L), so I'm assuming the bore & stroke is about the same. Those things above are really going to be the major key factors in getting gains without touching the longblock. For all anyone knows, the reasons why the 4B is seeing such good gains, could have nothing to do with the block itself, it could have larger/more free flowing intake/exhaust piping. More free flowing intake/exhaust manifold(s), larger diameter TB, FMIC (to include piping), ect ect. I guess only time will tell where the EVO X could use improvement. One thing for sure though, it's fairly good looking IMO, and is showing serious gains with minor mods... maybe one day I might be switching over to the Mitsu camp

Last edited by roninsoldier83; Feb 6, 2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by streetturbo
It will not reach 400whp on dynojet.

Z1500 wrote on agp's evo x:

¨Update-
We built a more efficient FMIC and a new hot side charge pipe. Changed the cold air intake pipe a little and dyno'd again. 345hp/330tq. I think the turbo is running completely out of air, we were running 24psi now and it's falling to 18.¨

Turbo is running completely out of air so 55whp still missing which is a LOT.

I would say that max is around 350 dynojet whp for Evo x turbo.
Unless I'm mistaken, they aren't remapping fuel and timing. So their numbers don't represent an optimal tune.

We are already at 350whp (dynojet est) with free flow cat, cat-back and a PROcede on 91oct. And boost pressure fall to 15psi at 7000rpm. I have no doubt that there is another 40-50whp left in there through running catless and upgrading the dp, FMIC, intake, raising boost, etc,.

The X is proving to be more responsive to modding than the IX ever was. This is fact, not conjecture

Shiv
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
Fu*k! I can't wait any longer!

So uhhh, Shiv....You doin' test drives?
Waiting on some connectors before we can make a sell-able product. Not sure just how long this will take. So in the meantime I'm just testing various mods since we'd have to do that anyway.

No problem giving test drives. Maybe at the next Norcalevo.net meet? Or just PM me if you are interested in meeting up.

Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Feb 6, 2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
The power of a motor is going to depend on the volumetric efficiency of the system and the size of the turbo.

A turbo of a certain size can only flow a certain mass of air, period. From the looks of things, the overall package of the 4b11 (intake, head, cams, exhaust, etc) is more efficient than the 4G63.

So, making up some ballpark numbers and being overly simplistic, the IX turbo can flow 450hp worth, but the 4G63 is only 80% efficient, so you end up with 360hp. The X turbo can only flow 400hp, but the 4B11 package is 90% efficient, so you still end up with 360hp.

You make both motors 100% efficient, the 4G63 will make 450 and the 4B11 will make 400 because that's all their turbos can flow.

How do S2000s make 300whp on 8psi? Because the motors flow extremely well on the top end (sacrifice the low end).

By the way, the 4B11 has a shorter stroke, bigger bore than the 4g63, so it should have more power potential (can rev higher) assuming the block is built so that it doesn't grenade.

Oh yeah, I was wrong about the size of the exhaust elbow outlet; the ID is 2 1/4", not 2 1/8". But still small

Edit: changed the numbers a tad so people don't get all confused and pissy

Last edited by spdracerut; Feb 6, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
The power of a motor is going to depend on the volumetric efficiency of the system and the size of the turbo.

A turbo of a certain size can only flow a certain mass of air, period. From the looks of things, the overall package of the 4b11 (intake, head, cams, exhaust, etc) is more efficient than the 4G63.

So, making up some ballpark numbers and being overly simplistic, the IX turbo can flow 400hp worth, but the 4G63 is only 80% efficient, so you end up with 320hp. The X turbo can only flow 360hp, but the 4B11 package is 89% efficient, so you still end up with 320hp.

You make both motors 100% efficient, the 4G63 will make 400 and the 4B11 will make 360 because that's all their turbos can flow.

How do S2000s make 300whp on 8psi? Because the motors flow extremely well on the top end (sacrifice the low end).

By the way, the 4B11 has a shorter stroke, bigger bore than the 4g63, so it should have more power potential (can rev higher) assuming the block is built so that it doesn't grenade.

Oh yeah, I was wrong about the size of the exhaust elbow outlet; the ID is 2 1/4", not 2 1/8". But still small
Good post. Who would have thought, a motor released in 2008 is more efficient than one initially released in 1989!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

So, making up some ballpark numbers and being overly simplistic, the IX turbo can flow 450hp worth, but the 4G63 is only 80% efficient, so you end up with 360hp. The X turbo can only flow 400hp, but the 4B11 package is 90% efficient, so you still end up with 360hp.

You make both motors 100% efficient, the 4G63 will make 450 and the 4B11 will make 400 because that's all their turbos can flow.

Good post! Now we have to see if the block will grenade or not
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Guerillah
Good post. Who would have thought, a motor released in 2008 is more efficient than one initially released in 1989!
haha i like this quote!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

lol at the dumb haters who were so adamant that the evo x won't be as responsive to mods as the evo 9.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

This makes a lot of sense.

So you are saying that they should be equal when all is said and done on the stock turbos. So where would the 50whp+ be coming from? Surely the intake isn't that restrictive, nor the highflo cat. I can see the boost only holding higher psi to redline (maybe 17psi) making more power at the upper rev range. The FMIC could take away some of that knock when trying to hold higher boost at the upper rpms, but I still can't see 50whp more from these changes.

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Feb 6, 2008 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Part II: Evo X Tuned