Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Part II: Evo X Tuned

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shiv, YGPM.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cksdayoff
lol at the dumb haters who were so adamant that the evo x won't be as responsive to mods as the evo 9.
I don't think any "haters" thought that the X wouldn't be as responsive to mods over the IX especially when Vivid did their first tests. Everyone already knew that the car was running way too rich.

I think the big question is: does the motor give more gains with similar tunes? In other words, give the car it's AFRs of 11s and give it the timing that it's comfortable with. Do the same on the IX - both bone stock. Then start modding with intake, exhaust, etc.. Will the car - in EVERY scenario - make more power? I stress every scenario because the IX could be more restrictive with some parts than others (and likewise to the X). If I give a well tuned IX an open intake and then tune for that and it yields, say, 10whp.. then do the same thing to the X, will it yield say 20whp?? Everything else being EQUAL?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:37 PM
Account Disabled

Here, better question. Why does anyone care?!

This is so 13yr old it's rediculous. Your right Boostez, it's not "haters", it's people wanting to believe they have the best.

People are afraid of the new and unknown so they shun it. It's retarded and child like. An Evo is an Evo. It looks different, so get over it everyone!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I think the big question is: does the motor give more gains with similar tunes? In other words, give the car it's AFRs of 11s and give it the timing that it's comfortable with. Do the same on the IX - both bone stock. Then start modding with intake, exhaust, etc.. Will the car - in EVERY scenario - make more power? I stress every scenario because the IX could be more restrictive with some parts than others (and likewise to the X). If I give a well tuned IX an open intake and then tune for that and it yields, say, 10whp.. then do the same thing to the X, will it yield say 20whp?? Everything else being EQUAL?
Yes on all accounts.

shiv
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Yes on all accounts.

shiv
But you haven't tested these scenarios!

Your comparison of the X being MUCH stronger than the IX with only catback and hi-flo cat isn't big by any stretch (difference of 27whp/15wtq if you take the high numbers from your runs on both cars).
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

But you haven't tested these scenarios!

Your comparison of the X being MUCH stronger than the IX with only catback and hi-flo cat isn't big by any stretch (difference of 27whp/15wtq if you take the high numbers from your runs on both cars).
With actual tuning, the X has already made more power with just a simple catback and a free flow cat than a tuned IX was ever capable. Even when running no cats, full exhaust, intercooler, stiffer wastegate spring, etc,. I think we already have a winner, no?

Of course, it is still unknown as to whether an internally stock 4B is capable of "reliably" supporting 500+hp like the 4G can on race gas. But I think that only applies to a few % of the current and future buyers. The vast majority will be happy if they can reliably make 100-125hp over stock, on pump gas.

Shiv
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

The vast majority will be happy if they can reliably make 100-125hp over stock, on pump gas.

Shiv
Exactly.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

With actual tuning, the X has already made more power with just a simple catback and a free flow cat than a tuned IX was ever capable. Even when running no cats, full exhaust, intercooler, stiffer wastegate spring, etc,. I think we already have a winner, no?
That depends.

Pardon for my skepticism, but you must understand borrowing another 25k (with a trade-in) and then another 2-3k in mods just to get up to the same level (or 30-40whp more) of performance to a mildly modded VIII/IX is a hard pill to swallow. I need more testing results from other vendors.

Of course, it is still unknown as to whether an internally stock 4B is capable of "reliably" supporting 500+hp like the 4G can on race gas. But I think that only applies to a few % of the current and future buyers. The vast majority will be happy if they can reliably make 100-125hp over stock, on pump gas.

Shiv
Agreed.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

That depends.

Pardon for my skepticism, but you must understand borrowing another 25k (with a trade-in) and then another 2-3k in mods just to get up to the same level (or 30-40whp more) of performance to a mildly modded VIII/IX is a hard pill to swallow. I need more testing results from other vendors.
The purpose of this thread is to present testing data. Not to give you something that you really want to hear

Shiv
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

That depends.

Pardon for my skepticism, but you must understand borrowing another 25k (with a trade-in) and then another 2-3k in mods just to get up to the same level (or 30-40whp more) of performance to a mildly modded VIII/IX is a hard pill to swallow. I need more testing results from other vendors..
Dude, the IX already spanks the VIII. To compare a VIII to an X is really no comparison at all. If I didn't have as much time and money sunk into my VIII, I'd trade it for an X in a heartbeat.

l8r)
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
The purpose of this thread is to present testing data. Not to give you something that you really want to hear

Shiv
Amazing the resistance is to test data, eh Shiv?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shiv, I am really impressed with the results so far. Did you ever figure out why the car wasn't pulling timing when knock was detected? It's awesome what you're doing with the car, though, and can't wait to see what the dyno numbers are.

Great job Shiv, post the dyno graphs!

Last edited by Noize; Feb 6, 2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: OT portion removed
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Dude, the IX already spanks the VIII. To compare a VIII to an X is really no comparison at all. If I didn't have as much time and money sunk into my VIII, I'd trade it for an X in a heartbeat.

l8r)

Most IXs are stronger than most VIIIs. But some VIIIs are just as strong as IXs And at the end of the day - they are pretty much equal with full bolt-ons..
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:26 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are comparing the results of different dynos (FFTEC's Mustang Dyno vs. our Dyno Dynamics dyno). FFTEC's dyno (the one we are using for X development) does read a bit lower.

Shiv
That was the missing link. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by streetturbo
It will not reach 400whp on dynojet.

Z1500 wrote on agp's evo x:

¨Update-
We built a more efficient FMIC and a new hot side charge pipe. Changed the cold air intake pipe a little and dyno'd again. 345hp/330tq. I think the turbo is running completely out of air, we were running 24psi now and it's falling to 18.¨

Turbo is running completely out of air so 55whp still missing which is a LOT.

I would say that max is around 350 dynojet whp for Evo x turbo.

They don't have engine management yet over at AGP, so don't sell the car too short yet. This is the first Evo X tuning thread. AGP is making all that power with bolt ons. This car is making all this power with minimal bolt ons and tuning.

Quick Reply: Part II: Evo X Tuned