Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Part II: Evo X Tuned

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Part II: Evo X Tuned... 90whp over stock with few mods

Hi guys,
Just a quick update. Been testing our tuned Evo for a full week now. No knock issues. No codes. No driveability issues. And power is as consistent as it ever could be. Yesterday, we built and installed an exhaust. It consisted of a 3" cat and a 3" cat-back using a single standard Magnaflow muffler. Upon driving, it was a bit too loud for my taste (hey, i've been driving BMWs for the last year!) so we installed the second muffler section. So it looks reasonably stock from the back, with both bumper cut-outs being used. An extra exhaust dropped exhaust velocity in 1/2 which meant that the exhaust stayed twice as long in the muffler which means that sound become considerably quieter. The stock downpipe is still installed.

Just a couple of observations:

-The stock cat is huge. The inlet and outlet isn't 3" but the area inside the cat housing is massive. Which means that it conceivable flow very well. Maybe even better than the 3" cat that we installed. Maybe we will re-install that next and visit the dyno again.
-The factory downpipe doesn't look too miserable. It isn't flattened like that DPs on the VIII and IX since it doesn't have to clear any subframe braces. We'll make a 3" downpipe and head back to see if there is any significant power to be gained.
-The car pops nicely during deccel. Not loudly... but muffled. Real nice. Probably has something to do with the minimum allowable on-time and size (650cc!) of the factory injectors. Wouldn't mistake the exhaust note for an lambo or ferrari but it's certainly nicer than the older VIIIs and XIs with similar exhaust systems. Dual mufflers FTW And now for the new dyno results....

Dyno Details:
Stock X with 3" cat and 3" cat-back
Tuned by a modified BMW PROcede computer
91oct
On the Mustang Dyno at FFTEC.

I'll post up the graphs later tonight but for now, here are the results:

WHP: 297-302whp
Torque: 310-315lbft

This is up considerably from when the car was running the stock exhaust. You can see those results here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=322616

These new results are about as good as the absolute BEST results we've ever got out of a Evo IX running a full catless exhaust (3" dp, 3" test pipe, 3" cat-back). But we're talking about the top 3-5%. Most IXs with full catless exhaust usually fall in the 285-290whp range.

It is much stronger than a similarly modified IX (which would only make 270-275whp/290-300lbft with a 3" cat and 3" catback).

Predictions:
With a just a test-pipe (but leaving the factory DP installed), I suspect this car would make 315-325whp. Which would be about as much as we would get out of a IX running a catless GT3071 turbo kit on the same 91oct gas. But with far more torque

Again, all this is with the factory airbox, filter, IC and IC piping still installed. So there are a few more places that we can squeeze out a bit more power. Fully squeezed, I would not be surprised if we could eventually get 330-340whp on 91oct. That's nearly 400whp on a Dynojet with the stock turbo, on pump gas. Now that is something to be excited about.

Going back next week to test some more bolt-ons and race gas mapping. This new engine is spectacular!

Update... Dyno Graph (tuned Stock X vs tuned X with 3" catback and cat)

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Feb 7, 2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:33 PM

nice this is great. I now want to buy Evo X so bad
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Got control of the Mivec yet shiv?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Impressive, do more mods quicker! lol
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good to hear! Keep at it!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Got any videos?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

How much in AVG is that on a dynojet..!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Again, all this is with the factory airbox, filter, IC and IC piping still installed. So there are a few more places that we can squeeze out a bit more power. Fully squeezed, I would not be surprised if we could eventually get 330-340whp on 91oct. That's nearly 400whp on a Dynojet with the stock turbo, on pump gas. Now that is something to be excited about.
You seriously think this engine is so efficient that it can pull 400whp out of the stock turbo (which is significantly smaller than the IX turbo) on pump gas (with no meth) on TBE, intake, and a tune? You can even throw in an intercooler...

Let's see 400whp numbers and I'll actually take a visit to the dealer.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Shiv, the outlet of the exhaust elbow only has an ID of about 2 1/8". Making a stainless steel divoced exhaust elbow with a 3" ID outlet should free up a good chunk of HP.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
You seriously think this engine is so efficient that it can pull 400whp out of the stock turbo (which is significantly smaller than the IX turbo) on pump gas (with no meth) on TBE, intake, and a tune? You can even throw in an intercooler...

Let's see 400whp numbers and I'll actually take a visit to the dealer.
Turbo size does not have everything to do with it. Look at it this way, a RSX Type S has a 2.0ivtec motor makes 200hp and the base RSX has a 2.0ivtec motor that makes only 160. That is a 40hp differance on basically the same engine why is it so hard to beleive that the 4b is just a more powerfull motor than the 4g regaurdless of turbo size. Oh and the X turbo is not that much smaller, hotside is actually bigger.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
Turbo size does not have everything to do with it. Look at it this way, a RSX Type S has a 2.0ivtec motor makes 200hp and the base RSX has a 2.0ivtec motor that makes only 160. That is a 40hp differance on basically the same engine why is it so hard to beleive that the 4b is just a more powerfull motor than the 4g regaurdless of turbo size. Oh and the X turbo is not that much smaller, hotside is actually bigger.
Do YOU believe it's more powerful?? If so, how do you come to this realization? If it is proven to be more powerful than the 4G, and the maintenance on the car is pretty good (as well as no serious glitches to the car), I'll be picking one up myself. Period.

Btw, the X turbo actually *is* moderately smaller (check out AGP's thread where they size the compressor wheels). The hotside being bigger is only good for flow - not lbs/min of air. Together with smaller cams, it will be pretty surprising to see the 4B hit 400whp on pump with everything being stock (except the above mentioned light mods). We'll have to wait for Shiv's claims to come to fruition..
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

It will not reach 400whp on dynojet.

Z1500 wrote on agp's evo x:

¨Update-
We built a more efficient FMIC and a new hot side charge pipe. Changed the cold air intake pipe a little and dyno'd again. 345hp/330tq. I think the turbo is running completely out of air, we were running 24psi now and it's falling to 18.¨

Turbo is running completely out of air so 55whp still missing which is a LOT.

I would say that max is around 350 dynojet whp for Evo x turbo.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by streetturbo

¨Update-
We built a more efficient FMIC and a new hot side charge pipe. Changed the cold air intake pipe a little and dyno'd again. 345hp/330tq. I think the turbo is running completely out of air, we were running 24psi now and it's falling to 18.¨

Well, this claim sounds more realistic - but Shiv seems to believe it can do it. So who's right??

And here ---

Kevin,

Thanks for the info.

Question: if the X's turbo is so small compared to the other evo gens, how is it even possible to think it may produce more power (when all is said and done) - full bolt-on IX stock turbo vs. full bolt-on X stock turbo??
Originally Posted by Z1500
It's not. The X engine is likely going to be more efficient and make more power out of less air. But I think the larger IX turbo will overcome and always make ~40whp more. This is just a best guess, we don't have any tuning done on the X yet and we still don't know if the e-throttle is screwing with us.
So will a tune give them 50whp on top of an already leaned out mixture and timing staying relatively aggressive???

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Feb 6, 2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by streetturbo

¨Update-

I have not read through that thread yet because there was alot of BS posts by flamers. So correct me if i am wrong, that car is not even been tuned yet.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Do YOU believe it's more powerful?? If so, how do you come to this realization? If it is proven to be more powerful than the 4G, and the maintenance on the car is pretty good (as well as no serious glitches to the car), I'll be picking one up myself. Period.

Btw, the X turbo actually *is* moderately smaller (check out AGP's thread where they size the compressor wheels). The hotside being bigger is only good for flow - not lbs/min of air. Together with smaller cams, it will be pretty surprising to see the 4B hit 400whp on pump with everything being stock (except the above mentioned light mods). We'll have to wait for Shiv's claims to come to fruition..
Shiv already proved it. He said the X with just a tune was making more power than a 9 with a tune and full exhaust on his dyno.

Quick Reply: Part II: Evo X Tuned