Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

hey guys, my evo has starting problems?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys, my evo has starting problems?

hey guys, despite the cold weather, my evo takes a while to start, i will need to tweak it for about 5-6 secs and will need to step on the acceleration pedal in order to turn it on. When the car is warmed up, i can turn it on fine, can it be a battery problem? or what can it be? i don't want to bring it to a shop, mainly because it might be a pretty simple problem to fix and don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks at a shop. thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolutionken
hey guys, despite the cold weather, my evo takes a while to start, i will need to tweak it for about 5-6 secs and will need to step on the acceleration pedal in order to turn it on. When the car is warmed up, i can turn it on fine, can it be a battery problem? or what can it be? i don't want to bring it to a shop, mainly because it might be a pretty simple problem to fix and don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks at a shop. thanks.
Is this a X? If not, wrong area to post.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:41 AM

mine has done this two times in the last 4 weeks. However, it wasn't "cold", and i could never find any correlation...

once it was about 50F outside, and the car had been sitting for about 4 hours on a slight decline. I was pretty low on gas, maybe 1/4 tank, but I didn't think anything of it. It didn't start the 1st time like it should, so the second time I had to let it go for 4-5 seconds to turn over, and it did, however it lost RPM and stalled. I was able to hold the starter again for 4-5 seconds and give it gas. It started then.

About three days later the car had been sitting for about ~2 hours and at first i turned the key on and off really quickly by accident (of course that wasn't enough) and it didn't start. I tried again with a regular start, and it didn't turn over. Finally I let it go for 5-6 seconds and pressed the gas and it turned over...

Both of these occurrences were 2 weeks ago with less than 600 miles, and I haven't had the problem since then, I have about 1200 miles on the car now...
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:56 AM

get em repaired under warranty. don't sit on your rights (legal theory) and wait for it to become a real problem, you may get denied later for whatever reason.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
Is this a X? If not, wrong area to post.
Dick
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

it is an evo VIII, but yeah...i dont think its the battery cause the car still starts, but it just takes a while...anyone know what could be the other possibilities?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

could be losing fuel pressure somewhere. i'm having very similar problems on my viii. i believe i have a leaky injector.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MumeiEvolution
Dick
Jeez, I didnt see any negative tone in the comment. Wouldnt you agree that you are more likely to get more help if you are posting your questions in the correct forum?

You definitely want to go ask this question in the VIII / IX forums. You will get more help there.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
Jeez, I didnt see any negative tone in the comment. Wouldnt you agree that you are more likely to get more help if you are posting your questions in the correct forum?

You definitely want to go ask this question in the VIII / IX forums. You will get more help there.
yeah i too thought that was a lil harsh.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its probably a fuel pressure issue you need to get it looked at cuz if it is a leaky injector you could face problems with eating up your catalysts and other emissions related problems. Not that we really give a damn about emissions but it would suck to put your warranty in jeopardy especially if it wasn't intentional.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

^^^...the guy is trying to help you get more hits on you're problem...you're going to get more responses if you post it in the correct section.