Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe test = Zero gain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
IX can pull with tbe, intake, o2 housing, fuel pump, mbc + TUNE. around 350 whp./dynojet/
the VIII can't,
Turn up the boost to 23 psi like the X and your right there
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I agree ludi, but at the same time, the current parts for the evo 9 for example haven't really changed since their debut years and years ago. There really is only a couple slight variations that manufacturers can choose in their routing paths for the piping as well as choice of materials. I think that much like you said, there will be a better selection later in the year, and it will probably bring overall prices down a bit with there being more competition among the different vendors. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that it really shouldn't make too much of a difference whether people get the parts now or later. Just my .02
I guess it just depends on how OCD you are about fitment.

Having seen how well put together the X is from the factory, I would have to insist on OEM or better fitment for any mods. Compared to the CT9A platform, for example, the underbody on the X is a thing of beauty.

l8r)
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The production based pieces that we are shipping in a few weeks will have excellent fit and finish, As with everything we make. Its the biggest reason why we are not shipping product now....we are about as OCD as they come LOL

Eric
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
....we are about as OCD as they come LOL

Eric
Hmm, I wonder if that's why my Evo always ends up at your shop when I need some work done ...

l8r)
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I am very OCD about fitment and cleaniness of welds as well, so I know what you mean about that, ludi. I do think that most of the big names make sure that fitment is good before they put out a product though. BTW Eric, is AMS' twin exit exhaust going to be similar to the one that Agency power makes, with a y-pipe and twin muffles? This seems like it's the only way to make the twin exit flow as good as the single exit. Let me know, thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:48 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
VIII and IX tuning discussion, graphs for those cars, and how much power they make are not really relevant to this thread.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I am very OCD about fitment and cleaniness of welds as well, so I know what you mean about that, ludi. I do think that most of the big names make sure that fitment is good before they put out a product though. BTW Eric, is AMS' twin exit exhaust going to be similar to the one that Agency power makes, with a y-pipe and twin muffles? This seems like it's the only way to make the twin exit flow as good as the single exit. Let me know, thanks.
I don't want to reveal too much as its a pretty unique design right now but its nothing like the agency power system

Eric
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

I don't want to go off topic, but I just wanted to apologize to everyone for contributing to the mess that got this thread so off topic yesterday. Anyway, AMS keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing what you and TT come up with next.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Feb 19, 2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't want to go off topic, but I just wanted to apologize to everyone for contributing to the mess that got this thread so off topic yesterday. Anyway, AMS keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing what you and TT come up with next.
Despite all the bickering you've caused and all the feathers you've ruffled, this post shows you are truly a good guy deep down. Maybe a little overly passionate at times which gets you into some sticky situations on this forum, but that happens to all of us from time to time. Good luck to you when you get your Evo X
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:56 AM

how big is the downpipe on the X and with size is the upgrade one?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I believe that the stock downpipe diameter is 2.5 inches, and AMS used a 3 in, which is the typical aftermatket exhaust size. Someone made the point earlier that the stock turbo might just be outflowed by the stock downpipe, but that with a bigger turbo the downpipe would definitely need to be upgraded to a 3 in. Even if that's the case, I am very curious as to why the upgraded downpipe that AMS made doesn't seem to help at all. I've never heard of any turbo car not gaining power from the downpipe, and usually the biggest chunk in the entire exhaust system. Still seems strange to me, but as power levels continue to increase the stocker may well start to show signs of restricions. Anyway, what I think would be cool is to see someone come out with a 4inch downpipe like what turbo xs made for the STi. This is the exhaust system that I have on mine, and my turbo spool is a good couple hundred rpms sooner than other sti's that have been dyno'd at the same shop with standard 3in downpipes. Well, anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:23 AM
Former Sponsor

I believe that the stock downpipe diameter is 2.5 inches, and AMS used a 3 in, which is the typical aftermatket exhaust size. Someone made the point earlier that the stock turbo might just be outflowed by the stock downpipe, but that with a bigger turbo the downpipe would definitely need to be upgraded to a 3 in. Even if that's the case, I am very curious as to why the upgraded downpipe that AMS made doesn't seem to help at all. I've never heard of any turbo car not gaining power from the downpipe, and usually the biggest chunk in the entire exhaust system. Still seems strange to me, but as power levels continue to increase the stocker may well start to show signs of restricions. Anyway, what I think would be cool is to see someone come out with a 4inch downpipe like what turbo xs made for the STi. This is the exhaust system that I have on mine, and my turbo spool is a good couple hundred rpms sooner than other sti's that have been dyno'd at the same shop with standard 3in downpipes. Well, anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
The DP is short with minimal bends so the biggest gains are from removing the cat.
We made a 3.5" to try next.

-Jeff
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Thats a very good point. I think as power levels increase and maybe a bigger turbo is put on, the gains from the 3" downpipe may be revealed. It seems right now with the stocker, being as small as it is, is not being compromised by the stock downpipe (which seems to be good because its short and mandrel bent)
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:13 AM
Account Disabled

Even though it amounts to zero gain. I'll still be picking one up.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

The biggest exhaust restrictions in the EVO X are the "O2 housing" and the "catback part of the exhaust". The muffler is more restrictive then the CAT, or so i've heard...

Even though AMS didn't get a gain with the stockish set up, when the boost is turned up more, or the turbo is upgraded, that DP should be good for an additional 10-15 whp.

Quick Reply: Downpipe test = Zero gain